Jaguar Carpet Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal-Aitken

Reaction score
So I was wondering wether you need a license to own one in qld; Wether they are good as a beginner snake; Average cost
and yeah just that

So I was wondering wether you need a license to own one in qld; Wether they are good as a beginner snake; Average cost
and yeah just that
yes you do need a licence to own one

and no i dont think their good for a begginer for a number of reasons , main reason being the neuro problems among other things , plenty of other carpets out there that are better suited and dont carry any baggage

try around $1000 and little ways down from there, these carpets are mixed blood morphs, while my jags didn't cost that much, I'd suggest for a beginner to go with something pureblooded and wild looking

Why? What if that's not what he is interested in keeping?

So True Saxiums. If he as the money and thats what he wants.

So whats so hard about keeping a jag they eats the same food as any other carpet they shed the same they even grow to the same size (some times smaller) then most carpets. Most jags have even better temperaments then some natural lines and there are lots of over 8 year old jags in collections around Australia that have lived their whole lives with neuro and their baggage problems.

So True Saxiums. If he as the money and thats what he wants.

So whats so hard about keeping a jag they eats the same food as any other carpet they shed the same they even grow to the same size (some times smaller) then most carpets. Most jags have even better temperaments then some natural lines and there are lots of over 8 year old jags in collections around Australia that have lived their whole lives with neuro and their baggage problems.
ok so heres my reasons and before i begin , yes i do own a jag , just one though so my personal experience with them is very limited but here goes

as many jag breeders/keepers will agree the neuro seems to be trigger or worsened by continued stress , do you agree ? now it is my belief that alot of new keepers may not readily notice the more subtle signs of stress for what they are ie heavy breathing , flighty movements etc etc

and on top of that i think just about every new keeper wants to handle their new snake everyday , hell some even want to take them in the shower with them ;);) ( not saying the ops going to do this )

now with this in mind do you really think that a flighty young jag is the best choice for a new keeper? especially when they could be pointed to other morphs or lines that simply dont carry this ?

im all for people going down the jag road if thats what they want to do and if the op decides to do it then all the best to him but i just personally think that it is something that people should do after they have spent some time in the hobby and have a slightly better understanding of reptiles in general and the jag mutation

Jag gene = Neuro plain and simple! Not something that should be purchased without a lot of research before hand. Many jag breeders in Aus blatantly lie about jags not having neuro but its linked with the gene so they all have it, be it a slight tick to extreme symptoms but they won't tell buyers this for fear of loosing a sale. Do your research mate after that if you still want one go ahead and buy one. They are cool looking sexy snakes but like any reptile pet a commitment shouldn't be made until you know all the facts from researching for yourself. Before anyone flames away I like them and don't have that big a problem with them just think its sad the shady will prey on the uninformed just to make a buck.

Worst thing with the jag gene is that the neuro gets visibly worse with age
This has been known for a long time overseas
But jag breeders in Aus will be just starting to notice this now

Damned shame because some jags are gorgeous

Jags are as suited to being a first snake as any other carpet. Many show little if any signs of the neuro disorder and it can be as slight as a little head wobble. I also know of adults that show only the slightest sign. If it is what want dont be put off by scare stories.

Jags are as suited to being a first snake as any other carpet. Many show little if any signs of the neuro disorder and it can be as slight as a little head wobble. I also know of adults that show only the slightest sign. If it is what want dont be put off by scare stories.

What a sad thing to say
'I also know of adults that only show the slightest sign"
Boa...
how many adults have you seen that only show the slightest signs?
how many have you seen that have grown progressively worse?
what % rate would you estimate live their lives showing only slight signs??

Stress out any of those few adults that only show the slightest sign and you will see the truth
Stress out a normal carpet and it will be fine again within days
Stress out any jag and you have a parody of a snake forever

There is seriously no point wasting money on a jag. Don't be fooled by the breeders of these retarded mutants. Many keepers who got caught up in the jag craze are now getting out of them because they feel so ashamed to have had anything to do with these poor animals that money hungry and unethical people breed. Remember .... a salesman will tell you anything to sell you something.

There are that many healthy, normal reduced pattern animals around now we simply don't need the jags.

I think it's funny that the people that hate on jags have no first hand experience, are bases their opinions off small sample groups or just repeating other miss informed people opinions... So maybe only comment on things that you actually have first hand experience on. Also there are just as many if not more doggy "purest" breeders out there then jag breeders so please get some facts behind your opinions before you label all jag breeders as liars and doggy.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that the people that hate on jags have no first hand experience, are bases their opinions off small sample groups or just repeating other miss informed people opinions... So maybe only comment on things that you actually have first hand experience on. Also there are just as many if not more doggy "purest" breeders out there then jag breeders so please get some facts behind your opinions before you label all jag breeders as liars and doggy.
so just how much experience with these animals do you actually have to be making comments like this ? as i understand it you only just got your first jag and your pretty new to keeping in general ?

Are we really going to have this debate again? Sorry all, but once again the posts have swung onto the different opinions of Jag ownership rather than answering the OPs question.

Plenty of threads on this already OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back