Advice needed for the first few weeks- new owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benwar

Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of advice for the first few weeks of ownership, in particular the first few days.

i am getting a 10 month old male spotted python, I have been told by separate people to offer food when it arrives and by someone else to leave it for a week before offering good, also I want to feed it in a separate container as I don't want it to become cage defensive, this being my first snake I know we will both be stressed during the first feeding, especially if I move it to a container so would it best to feed it in its enclosure until it becomes a regular feeder?

What do you do with new snakes? (Everyone will have different ideas about what is right so please don't fight :p)

I would leave it to settle for at least a few days before offering food. feeding it in a separate container may be problematic, at least at this stage when the snake has just been relocated.

Hey guys I need a bit of advice for the first few weeks of ownership, in particular the first few days.

i am getting a 10 month old male spotted python, I have been told by separate people to offer food when it arrives and by someone else to leave it for a week before offering good, also I want to feed it in a separate container as I don't want it to become cage defensive, this being my first snake I know we will both be stressed during the first feeding, especially if I move it to a container so would it best to feed it in its enclosure until it becomes a regular feeder?

What do you do with new snakes? (Everyone will have different ideas about what is right so please don't fight :p)

Every snake is different but because this is your first snake, don't fed or handle for a week once you get him. A snake will go into a feeding response when it smells food regardless of where it is, feeding in a different tub will change nothing. Just don't handle on feed day of you are worried about getting bitten. The best thing you can do is stop worrying, snakes are pretty tough and can handle less then perfect conditions. You will work it all out don't stress

Every snake is different but because this is your first snake, don't fed or handle for a week once you get him. A snake will go into a feeding response when it smells food regardless of where it is, feeding in a different tub will change nothing. Just don't handle on feed day of you are worried about getting bitten. The best thing you can do is stop worrying, snakes are pretty tough and can handle less then perfect conditions. You will work it all out don't stress
I wouldn't say less than perfect condition as this is the problem when snakes become problem feeders... Snakes stress and tolerate us if handled and looked after correctly Jmo of course ... Pete

I wouldn't say less than perfect condition as this is the problem when snakes become problem feeders... Snakes stress and tolerate us if handled and looked after correctly Jmo of course ... Pete

My first snake 14yrs ago was a coastal hatchling. I fed it as soon as it got home, kept it in a 4ft glass fish tank with a 60w light bulb on 24/7 for heating. Constantly handled it even before and after feeding and that was how she was kept for the first 2years of her life. I changed the things I did as I learnt better ways to keep her, she survived and is still alive today. A 10month old spotted if already a good feeder is pretty bullet proof.

Try and feed it the day you get it if you like, if it's not interested, try again in a week. Feed it in its tank as the whole cage defensive if fed in tank thing is rubbish.

Try and feed it the day you get it if you like, if it's not interested, try again in a week. Feed it in its tank as the whole cage defensive if fed in tank thing is rubbish.
^^^^^ agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back