Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawra

Come here Squishy!
Reaction score
Without sparking up a massive debate... How can you tell if you have a jag jungle instead of a plain jungle?

Jags are very easy to tell from other wild type animals its the make up of the other subspecies in the mix besides the jag gene is the hard part. Look up Jag identifying features eg silver eyes, reduced black pigment, reduced markings on the head and body ect when you get to know what the jag gene makes a python look like its very easy to tell a jag from a normal.

Without sparking up a massive debate... How can you tell if you have a jag jungle instead of a plain jungle?
Since the jags are easy to spot in a clutch was the original question meant to be jungle jag sibs?

Silver eyes are not a feature exclusive to jags.
This is a F3 pure Palmerston jungle without a shred of doubt. It's eyes are silver.

View attachment BG Eyes-1.pdf

Many of the 'typical' tell tails signs jags are known for are also present in purebred lines. RP patterns, reduced black and saddled patterns are all popping up in pure collections. As purists refine their lines, it will probably get harder to tell them apart by appearance.

This makes purchasing a snake with an authentic background very difficult. The bottom line boils down to - If you want to be as certain as possible, purchase your animals from a reputable breeder who can provide you with the amount evidence you need to feel confident about your snakes.

Blinky nailed it as there is no real 'checklist' to go off unfortunately..

onimocnhoj - i think they might be referring to the lighter colour of sliver seen in jags eyes its kind of a whitish silver and it actually also looks very flat in comparison to a normal jungle imo , notice how the little vien thingys arnt as prominent on the eyes of this jag as they would be in a normal jungle

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 154
well sometimes a jag is just plain obvious to see, other times you need to make the decision if you think its a jag or not.

If you like the look of the snake why does it matter if it's pure or not?

Mods seem to close down jag threads so maybe we should start an actual JAG thread for people to post pics and questions.. And would be nice if the haters stay out and stick to there own threads.... I enjoy getting experience from all snakes and so should others be allowed without all the bickering

Not starting a debate, just explaining. Jags have neuro issues so it's good to know if it's a jag of you want to avoid these problems. Some people also like to be honest about what they are selling so knowing what it has been bred with helps.
Many people also like to try and keep pure localities as its part of our heritage.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
Not starting a debate, just explaining. Jags have neuro issues so it's good to know if it's a jag of you want to avoid these problems. Some people also like to be honest about what they are selling so knowing what it has been bred with helps.
Many people also like to try and keep pure localities as its part of our heritage.

Hipe that helps a little.
Ok 1 the neuro problem is blown way out of proportion by people who have no first hand experience with the matter. 2 If you are going to breed and sell an animal based on "it looks pure so it must be" then you shouldn't be breeding, any good breeder knows the lineage of there snakes and don't just buy random pythons to breed. So if you are buying a pet snake as long as you like the way it looks and it's healthy, that's all you should worry about

IMO
It matters because...some people just want a "pretty pet" python and down the track if/when the neuro issues develop and it has to be put down they are heartbroken.

Not all wannabe jag owners are commercial keepers/breeders.

Ok 1 the neuro problem is blown way out of proportion by people who have no first hand experience with the matter. 2 If you are going to breed and sell an animal based on "it looks pure so it must be" then you shouldn't be breeding, any good breeder knows the lineage of there snakes and don't just buy random pythons to breed. So if you are buying a pet snake as long as you like the way it looks and it's healthy, that's all you should worry about

While you are correct on point 2 we see so many posts by people like this asking about breeding so they are breeding. Anyway I did say I wasn't starting a debate.

I was explaining why to some people it might matter not stating what I belive. The neuro issue still exists, blown out of proportion or not and you can't tell if the issue will develop as the snake gets older.

- - - Updated - - -

Mods seem to close down jag threads so maybe we should start an actual JAG thread for people to post pics and questions.. And would be nice if the haters stay out and stick to there own threads.... I enjoy getting experience from all snakes and so should others be allowed without all the bickering
PLEASE!!!!!

Last edited:
Why on earth would it have to put down?

With respect Ashley

Some people may find the neuro issue ( if/when it develops) too disturbing to witness with their pretty pet python.

I think you do know what I mean

I like pretty snakes and def.not a jag.hater

Cheers
Sandee :)

With respect Ashley

Some people may find the neuro issue ( if/when it develops) too disturbing to witness with their pretty pet python.

Cheers
Sandee, regtretably not all reptile keepers, are animal lovers.

With respect Ashley

Cheers

How many jags have you or someone you know personally had to have put down?

junglejugs

I am merely offering my opinion in this discussion.

It is not my business to devulge what other people do with their animals

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back