Ecotech Reptile Thermostat by Pet Pacific

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
So I rang up my local pet store, and they said that these Thermostats are better than the URS ones, what do u guys think are they better, or not?

Mate ur probably gonna get all sorts of answers from yes, no , don't get them they are rubbish, yes get them they r good, spend more$$ and get a reliable 1 …… u get my drift.i have 2 echo tech thermostats.and so far never had a problem with them. But I have seen others talk about problems with thr ecotech thermostats.i did have a urs 1 1st of all, but the 1 I had was rubbish so i gt my money back and brought the ecotech.

- - - Updated - - -

But I have seen others talk about problems with thr ecotech thermostats.i did have a urs 1 1st of all, but the 1 I had was rubbish so i gt my money back and brought the ecotech.

How do u find they work? What reptiles do u keep?

I have a bredli and spotted and soon to be albino Darwin . Also keep 3 tarantula and use heat mats/globes to heat them all controlled with the thermostats. I've had no probs with the Eco tech but others have.i had a problem with the urs, but I know sum1 who uses it and they have had no trouble with theirs. B4 using them for my pets I set them up to the temp I wanted, put a couple of thermometers under the globe/on the mate and both were reading within .2 of what my thermostat was set to / reading at

Problems most people have with electronic thermostats can usually be traced back to vague instructions supplied with the units. Day/night units seem to be the worst as the changeover tends to trigger the over/under temp alarm to activate, often with no instructions given on how to disable this function. When you get used to operating these units they work fine. Only problem with them unlike say a microclimate one is that they are not easy to fix if they break.

I use the EcoTech Day/Night Dimming stat on my EWD enclosure. Regularly check temps, thermostat is never reading more than .3c out at any time.
Agreed with bigjoediver, instructions are by far the worst part about them, but I can now almost ENTIRELY set up a thermostat from scratch without instructions. Once you know how to use it, they are simple. 6 months and no issues so far.

So I rang up my local pet store, and they said that these Thermostats are better than the URS ones, what do u guys think are they better, or not?

tell the pet store that they are dreaming :)

Problems most people have with electronic thermostats can usually be traced back to vague instructions supplied with the units. Day/night units seem to be the worst as the changeover tends to trigger the over/under temp alarm to activate, often with no instructions given on how to disable this function. When you get used to operating these units they work fine. Only problem with them unlike say a microclimate one is that they are not easy to fix if they break.

I don't use either so can't help, but using bigjoedriver's statement about instruction being vague i wondered if it would be possable for those that are proficient in setting up each different type of thermostat to do a step by step instruction sheet in plain english and then collated into 1 post and made a sticky so that all the non tech types out there who buy a thermostat with their inherent vague instructions could just go to the 1 sticky post and with a sigh of relief find the easy to understand instructions on how to set up their unit with no pulling out of hair or screaming tantrums....... sorry for hijacking your post joe but i have been tossing this around in my head for a while now and this finally gave me the initiative to get it out there. :) ..........................................Ron

I like your idea Ron, that would make life so much easier.

I have two of these set up and working well..... Well I think they are the same, they look exactly the same they just haven't got the ecotech brand on them. I have had one running for 3 years now without missing a beat and another for a year. One of my micro climates died before the three year mark but from what others have said I thing that was just ba luck.

Because my heat mat will be only 4 watts, do I really need a thermostat?

- - - Updated - - -

Because my heat mat will be only 4 watts, do I really need a thermostat?

Last edited:
Because my heat mat will be only 4 watts, do I really need a thermostat?[/QUOTE]

Yes, even a 4watt mat can overheat, but they will operate fine on a cheap on/off thermostat.
In fact some dimming thermostats need a minimum load of 40w to operate correctly.

I've read that being only 4 watts, I still need a thermostat so I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm purchasing the Eco Tech digital Thermostat.

It is a good idea to run the heat matt through a thermostat, but like mentioned previously check the minimum amount of watts it needs to function correctly.

will check the minimum wattage, thanks heaps guys.

It says '[FONT=Lucida Grande, Arial, Tahoma, sans-serif]Controls heating devices up to 1200 watts for night and day temperatures".[/FONT]

Last edited:
I don't use either so can't help, but using bigjoedriver's statement about instruction being vague i wondered if it would be possable for those that are proficient in setting up each different type of thermostat to do a step by step instruction sheet in plain english and then collated into 1 post and made a sticky so that all the non tech types out there who buy a thermostat with their inherent vague instructions could just go to the 1 sticky post and with a sigh of relief find the easy to understand instructions on how to set up their unit with no pulling out of hair or screaming tantrums....... sorry for hijacking your post joe but i have been tossing this around in my head for a while now and this finally gave me the initiative to get it out there. :) ..........................................Ron

Sorry to hijack the thread also but Ron I also think that's a great idea! Probably just important to get it proof read by a few other knowledgeable people to check for any errors, therefore preventing any backlash against the author/s.

Sorry to hijack the thread also but Ron I also think that's a great idea! Probably just important to get it proof read by a few other knowledgeable people to check for any errors, therefore preventing any backlash against the author/s.

I've thought about doing this previous to this thread, but time has been an issue.
Happy to give it a crack, but not sure how quickly I can get it done. Someone else might have a little more time up their sleeves?

Maybe if one of the mods wants to start a thread, and we can have one post per thermostat, which is then proof-read and corrected/cleaned up if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back