Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this is total nonsense sorry... yes stress can increase the signs of neuro but handling a jag will not turn it into a cork screwing jag that has to be put down. I handle all my jags and from what I see less then 10% show signs on neuro and not all the time either some just when excited like feeding or breeding. Even then it is slight things that most keepers would miss or pass off as nothing.

What % of the thousands of jags you have seen has neuro? and if stress turns these snakes into cork screwing freaks why don't you see it at major expos in the usa where thousands of people are walking past staring at a snake in a clear box under lights where it cant hide? that would be pretty stressful for a snake wouldn't it? even the expos here see a couple of thousand people, so why would a breed bring their prize breeding stock if it was going to stress it out and start cork screwing not only would they not be able to breed with it anymore but wouldn't that also be bad for business?

What happens to the small percent of jags that you have that show signs of neuro? I have seen a lot of jags being sold on various Facebook sites and every time the question is asked the owner says no it has shown no signs of neuro. Surely this isn't the case with all of these snakes. I wonder how many people would buy a jag if the breeder said this one has actually shown small signs of neuro but it is nothing to worry about. This to me cast a shadow over jags.

Wow, good description. Thanx Longi , I'm still on my serpent L plates and have been wondering what all this "Jag" thing is about..

Last edited:
What happens to the small percent of jags that you have that show signs of neuro? I have seen a lot of jags being sold on various Facebook sites and every time the question is asked the owner says no it has shown no signs of neuro. Surely this isn't the case with all of these snakes. I wonder how many people would buy a jag if the breeder said this one has actually shown small signs of neuro but it is nothing to worry about. This to me cast a shadow over jags.

I have kept most of my jags and all the ones that show neuro were going to be hold backs anyway before the neuro showed up. I have seen serval honest breeders sell jags and state "shows signs of neuro" these have still sold very quickly because they are generally cheaper. There are honest and dishonest breeders a out there regardless of what they breed. If I was going to sell a jag publicly I would state if it shows signs or not and make sure the buyer knew that there is a chance it could develop down the road but that's what any honest person would do

I have kept most of my jags and all the ones that show neuro were going to be hold backs anyway before the neuro showed up. I have seen serval honest breeders sell jags and state "shows signs of neuro" these have still sold very quickly because they are generally cheaper. There are honest and dishonest breeders a out there regardless of what they breed. If I was going to sell a jag publicly I would state if it shows signs or not and make sure the buyer new that there is a chance it could develop down the road but that's what any honest person would do

That is reassuring to hear. As stated I have not seen one add yet stating it shows signs of neuro but I don't go looking through all of the jag advertisements either. You are dead right about dishonest people selling other snakes as well, I not under any illusion there and I have seen that. I am not jag bashing here as I love the look of them but more interested in what happens. You are the second breeder on here that says they have not sold any jags yet.

That is reassuring to hear. As stated I have not seen one add yet stating it shows signs of neuro but I don't go looking through all of the jag advertisements either. You are dead right about dishonest people selling other snakes as well, I not under any illusion there and I have seen that. I am not jag bashing here as I love the look of them but more interested in what happens. You are the second breeder on here that says they have not sold any jags yet.
I'm a hoarder lol. I have sold a few but to friends and friends of friends but most are hold backs for multi gene projects. Yes I'm sure there are some doggy breeders selling neuro effected jags and not telling buyers but a lot of breeders are honest selling with full disclosure, keep them or cull the ones that show signs of neuro.

I don't think anyone questions that jags carry neuro problems but I haven't seen the numbers or server problems that some people claim to be fact. Yes I've seen the videos of jags cork screwing but how many are that bad, 1 out of every 10000 jags?

Last edited:
@andynic sarascales on here sold a jag a few month ago now. It was IMO one of the prettiest jag I have seen. She was very honest about it having neuro problems and it was sold quite quickly.

A lot of the younger jags that are sold are labelled as not showing neuro problems, this is because they probably haven't shown any but still have the potential to show neuro later down the road.

I guess the next question in this sequence would be do some breeders sell the less pretty Jags as siblings rather than a jag to avoid the questions of neuro?

Dam didn't get to read last quote arghhhhh.... My jagggyyyy handles slightly different than my other snakes but to be honest he's also one of the best to handle... I've done my research and I don't push him...I just approach things as I c fit... I'm very happy to own one and people that don't should not comment unless they know every detail ( and that would be most if ya ) lol

I guess the next question in this sequence would be do some breeders sell the less pretty Jags as siblings rather than a jag to avoid the questions of neuro?

In the early days there was a few "het" jags trying to be sold but most people seem to be more switched on these days

Top quality jags stand out against any pure line
Google top quality jaguar carpet python and you will see why
Eyes are usually silver
Poor quality jags can look very similar to pure lines

Then there is the other trait which shall not be mentioned by the number of deleted posts?

Top quality jags stand out against any pure line
Google top quality jaguar carpet python and you will see why
Eyes are usually silver
Poor quality jags can look very similar to pure lines

Now THAT I agree with :)

I found this thread. It helped make sense of how jags came about, but doesn't make mention of neuro problems.

So jags are ones with darker blob patterns on the sides and no dark only colour along the top (dorsal?)

Except for the 'Bredli jag' that I saw on here... If I saw it without a title I'd not know what it is :/

Link might help: Is-this-a-JUNGLE-JAG?????
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128311

This is one way to tell if it is a jag or not apparently, ask on an internet forum.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 6.07.48 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 6.07.48 AM.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 126
This is one way to tell if it is a jag or not apparently, ask on an internet forum.
lol that makes me laugh... Wonder what they paid for it... Could have got a bargain there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back