Sea Snakes: Safe to Swim With Them?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi all

We're taking a cruise to Vanuatu on 9 September and the tenders drop you off at one point where, apparently, there are many sea snakes in the Coral. I'm just wondering what the safety is of going snorkeling with them. I understand they're generally extremely venomous but are very short-fanged (although I won't be wearing a wetsuit). Also, what's their temperament? All I want to do is drift and watch; not touch them.

Thanks,
Mark.

Just game back from New Caledonia had a great time. Went snorkeling saw quite a few sea snakes and they are cool and calm just doen there thing. Don't annoy them and you be right

Great. Thanks. Where did you see them? The place of I've heard of is Sacred Rock at Isle of Pines (right near the tender drop off). And what species was it?
Thanks.

I fish out on the GBF a lot and there are swarms of olive sea snakes... go to pull anchor in and a sea snake is swimming past :L They are very docile, but remember they are still a venomous snake... They always swim past when we wash our hands, its still a scare but they are never really worried by us... just don't go grabbing its tail :p

A family i am very close friends with went on a holiday around that area earlier this year. They had sea snakes slithering up the beach and even into their yard every night. They just picked them up and carried them back to the water, the snakes didn't even care. Completely chilled out and weren't bothered by people. They just did their own thing.

Great. Thanks. Where did you see them? The place of I've heard of is Sacred Rock at Isle of Pines (right near the tender drop off). And what species was it?
Thanks.

I did the Vanuatu cruse with P&O on the pacific jewel, can get very boring on the ship during the day, a lot of drinking to pass the time. Night entertainment was good. Buffet food was bad but the waterfront was a choice place to eat.
Jinek bay at Lifou is where my wife & I saw the sea snakes, you need to buy a pass to snorkel there coz its a protective reef.
If you stop in to port Vila you will find people with iguanas you can hold. You can get some great tours of the island from the locals... Jump in a van with a bunch of people for about $5 a person. Just a heads up the people in port Vila can be intense when you first get off the ship.

Just keep in mind not all Sea Snakes are laid back. Most of the species people are refering to in this thread are Sea Kraits (Laticauda) which are well known for a fairly quiet disposition. Other species including Hardwick's, Stoke's, Horned and even Olives can be right cranky when they want to be.

The fang length is also a misconception, some of the larger species can have fangs 6-8mm long.

Leave them alone and observe from a distance and you should be fine, mess about with them and your asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Scott

Thanks for the info. This will be our third cruise; second to Vanuatu. We're on the Jewel this time. I guess it's all in what you like to do on a cruise that determines if you get bored or not. I've heard others say they get bored or even don't like cruising. We find so much to do we literally have to pace ourselves but we're willing to have a go at just about anything. Last time, Port Vila was, as you said, a bit daunting due to the taxi drivers. But I've heard they're now not allowed down near the port. Fortunately, this time we have friends who live there who will be giving us an all-day tour.

I held iguanas at Luganville last time and ground boas at Champagne Bay. Snorkelling with sea snakes would be a nice thing to add to the list.

Thanks.

I went snorkeling there. Absolutely amazing and it was raining at the time haha. Water wasn't cold. I didn't wear a wetsuit. I didn't see one snake. Even on the walk through the bush. S:

I did the Vanuatu cruse with P&O on the pacific jewel, can get very boring on the ship during the day, a lot of drinking to pass the time. Night entertainment was good. Buffet food was bad but the waterfront was a choice place to eat.
Jinek bay at Lifou is where my wife & I saw the sea snakes, you need to buy a pass to snorkel there coz its a protective reef.
If you stop in to port Vila you will find people with iguanas you can hold. You can get some great tours of the island from the locals... Jump in a van with a bunch of people for about $5 a person. Just a heads up the people in port Vila can be intense when you first get off the ship.

I went on a P&O cruise to new caladonia and Vanuatu. Port Villa wasn't what I was expecting lol. Thought it be a bit nicer then that.

Drinking cocktails from dusk till dawn on a hidden little veranda was the highlight of the days at sea lol.

So long as you dont interfere with them you will be fine
Amazing animals
Curious but not dangerous until you annoy them too much
Forget the small mouth rear fang stuff about only biting between fingers etc
Big krait etc will exceed 3 metres
3 metre snake of any species has a mouth big enough to bite whatever it wants to

As a fairly experienced scuba diver (tri-mix, cave quals etc) my advice to you is just look with your eyes, most things in the ocean will bite or sting if cornered or threatened, some with deadly consequences.

Joe

Never did come across any! :-(
I'm off to them islands on Wednesday with carnival cruises.... Going snorkeling but I best keep the snake think a secret or me pussy neighbour might change his mind since he runs a mile when I got me snakes out lol

As "eipper" said, l was in Weipa (QLD) fishing with friends when a Japanese guy let one swim through his hands and although l didn't witness this dangerous act l was the one on the boat that administered mouth to mouth and it was an earth shattering experience to watch that guy pass away right before my eyes and argueably in my hands ... in a lot of cases the sea gives no second chances with dire results ... R.I P. Yuki

Solar
Did that get recorded as a snake bite death?
Indonesian fisherman are scared stiff of big banded sea kraits
They get them in their mackeral nets
Dont see them in the darkness and get hit
Find the boat and body next morning

Very interesting species
Lay eggs on land
Live on land for extended periods quite comfortably

Slightly off topic but are we able to get them on license? I can't help but think how amazing a whole wall aquarium set up would be with a sea snake in it.

As "eipper" said, l was in Weipa (QLD) fishing with friends when a Japanese guy let one swim through his hands and although l didn't witness this dangerous act l was the one on the boat that administered mouth to mouth and it was an earth shattering experience to watch that guy pass away right before my eyes and argueably in my hands ... in a lot of cases the sea gives no second chances with dire results ... R.I P. Yuki

Crap, solar 17, that's one life experience you could have done without. Damn fine "be aware" message to others tho.

Crap, solar 17, that's one life experience you could have done without. Damn fine "be aware" message to others tho.
Taking note as I cruise out on the carnival spirit today... Hope to swim and see some snakes in a few days ;)

Was swimming at Isle of Pines last week and swam right over a banded sea snake and didn't even see it but me mate caught it on video lol.... Great cruise up in the Vanuatu area... Back on the same cruise jn 6 weeks with the kids and can't wait!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back