Food for bearded dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naturesfury

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi
just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of
correct foods for both central beardies and pygmy.
I currently have had a pygmy for almost 2 weeks...he is not keen on his veg
so am wondering what sort of veges to pursue next,
I saw a list of things but it was from an american site and whilst some of it was helpful i didnt get coloured greens etc
along with portion sizes etc.....
any help would be greatfully appreciated as I plan to try and grow some fresh veges for the boy/girl

peas .corn. clover are the favourites of our lizards

they are given a lots of other things but these are the preferred foods

Not sure the age/size of your dragons but for a baby I got a veggie chopper and chopped it all up small.
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, pea shoots, zucchini, squash, Pac choy, bok choy. They like color so sometimes I did capsicum, very small chopped carrot on occasion, snow peas. Cabbage, Alfalfa.

amount of veggies- more than what they eat.
If the dragons are very young I find they will be going for the protein more so than veggies so just dust the wood roaches or crix with vitamin powder one day and calcium the next.
You could try offering them veggies in the morning first and give them bugs early in the arvo.
If they are a stablished dragons and they are not eating veggies just don't give them bugs for a few day then give then half the bugs they would usually eat then back in to veggies. My dragons love it when the veggies have been sprayed with a bit of water.

Hope this helps in some way.

As juveniles, they will eat more crickets than veg/fruit. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as they are eating something from their bowl. We use the 4 leaf mix from Coles as the basis, then add endive, kale, carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, zucchini (these four with a peeler or grater). They also like any of the choys, snow peas (chopped), peas, beans, alfalfa and snow pea sprouts, dandelions, and nasturtiums (both flowers and greens).
They are all individuals, and will like one thing over another.

- - - Updated - - -

Banana, strawberries, and grated apple are good occasional treats mixed in with their vegies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back