Jungle Jag hates White Light ... Anyone heard of this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whytwolf

Reaction score
Hi All:

Back again for another question. We have just discovered that Elvis has been hiding all day because of the UV light used in his enclosure - i have been babysitting him this weekend and just happened to notice last night that when all the lights went off ( Purple night glo and the white uv light) went off he came out was very active and stayed out all night ... now i walked in this morning just as the timer turned on the uv white light and he straight away went to hide - i promptly shut it off and he came out of hiding and became very active again ...

has anyone else had this experience and if so any ideas on why he so dislikes the white light? (it is UV) i checked it .....

also then as the tank is in the bedroom and there are no other lights in the tank other than the purple glo night one (heat is maintained by ceramic heater above and heat cord below .... any ideas on what could be used for viewing since he doesn't seem to like the light...

cheers

normal behaviour for a snake mate they are nocturnal reptiles they will only be active of a night time and most will hide during the day...i use infrared for night time viewing....the white light is to imitate your day/night cycle the snake needs to know when its time to sleep and when its time to hunt.....how long have you kept snakes you should know all this....

- - - Updated - - -

i know not all snakes are nocturnal but would i be correct in saying most pythons are im still learning myself but i do know the basics that i generally wont see my pythons being active during the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
normal behaviour for a snake mate they are nocturnal reptiles they will only be active of a night time and most will hide during the day...i use infrared for night time viewing....the white light is to imitate your day/night cycle the snake needs to know when its time to sleep and when its time to hunt.....how long have you kept snakes you should know all this....

- - - Updated - - -

i know not all snakes are nocturnal but would i be correct in saying most pythons are im still learning myself but i do know the basics that i generally wont see my pythons being active during the day.

I agree, normal behavior. Snakes in the open during the day are targets for predators. Interesting that you use UV light. I've never used it and don't believe snakes need it......

UVB is blocked by glass and most is blocked by mesh. Snakes get their vitamin D intake from their prey.

Not all snakes are nocturnal but jungle pythons certainly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back