Betadine and Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeprincess

Reaction score
My Stimson just escaped out of his enclosure...We have found him but he looks to have grazes all over his body :( Can I use betadine on him and if so do I dilute it?

Beterdine kills good cells as well as bad, so unless the abrassions are infected i think you are better to leave them to heal without chemical intervention.

I was told paw paw ointment was ok for minor abrasions on snakes ?? have only ever had to use it once and seemed ok

I would initially place the snake into a clean, DRY enclosure and allow healing to take its natural course. If the skin is broken and bleeding, it will be far better to allow it to dry out rather than plaster it with stuff to prevent infection. Snakes have very good immune systems if they are well housed and the temps are correct, coating it with chemicals may cause more trouble than leaving it to heal itself.

Jamie

If you must/wish to use a ceansing agent "Hexachlorophene" is readily available at chemists and is considered by many to be the best available as it is a dilute form of Hibitane and Chlorhexadine which is the most used antiseptic of choice during brain and associated surgeries, its an excellent antiseptic but has little to no effect on burning infected tissues while being an excellent cleansing agent ... generally $10 - $15 a bottle and is bright red in colour ... solar 17

As Baden says, Chlorhexidine is probably the best disinfectant, and it doesn't cause the pain that Betadine does. But if the skin is only marked but not broken, you don't need to use anything.

Jamie

I am not familiar with "Hexachlorophene".

Betadine lotion should be diluted 1:50 with water such that it is the colour of weak tea. Immersion for about 10 minutes is all that is required and this should not cause any great degree of discomfort. Ensure the bath is around 28 to 29 degrees Celsius. Betadine will kill bacteria and viruses. It will also kill exposed cells that are not particularly functional. In terms of a disinfective agent it is one of the best and is the yellow substance used in coating the body prior to surgery. Betadine is effectively a slow-release form of iodine.

If you believe the skin has been broken to expose flesh, I would recommend an initial bath in Betadine or Hexachlorophene, as a precautionary measure, and then following the advice given for allowing the snake to heal itself.

Blue

I agree with Blue on this. Also if you wish to minimise scarring you will need to cover wounds with a dressing. Dressing the wound promotes tissue regrowth and stops the exposed cells from dying. If you think Betadine kills cells have a look at what leaving a wound exposed does to them.

Worth considering though - we don't know if the skin has been broken or just the old epidermis abraded. It may not need any treatment at all.

Jamie

Yeah the Hexachlorophene is what we got from the vet for our Husky, apprentaly get have like a teenage acne on her belly and she got infections. The stuff is amazing and cleared all the infections up very quickly. Well didnt know you could use it on snakes, oh well do now :p The hospitals also use it before the surgoens go into theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back