How Do I Get My Pygmy To Eat Fruit

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaReptileBoy

Reaction score
hey!
my pygmy isn't eating fruit and veges and also what fruit etc can they eat?

you should have done some research on this before you got the little dragon.
They will eat more live prey than vegies at this age so keep feeding small crickets dusted in calcium and vitamins. feed that 2 times a day and dice up some kale, endive and green beans for the little one to eat.
What is your basking temp at the moment and what UVB are you using? this is also very important to getting the little dragons to eat and digest properly

you should have done some research on this before you got the little dragon.
They will eat more live prey than vegies at this age so keep feeding small crickets dusted in calcium and vitamins. feed that 2 times a day and dice up some kale, endive and green beans for the little one to eat.
What is your basking temp at the moment and what UVB are you using? this is also very important to getting the little dragons to eat and digest properly
I did do loads of research and iv tried to feed him all the fruit they said and he hasn't been interested. He has a 36 degrees and a 10.0 UVB

cool well in the wild they don't have lots of fruit offered to them hehe so for now I would say just stick to small crickets and those green vegies I mentioned. The proper temps needed for baby dragons is 40-45 c so you need to bump up the heat mate. UVB10 is perfect.

cool well in the wild they don't have lots of fruit offered to them hehe so for now I would say just stick to small crickets and those green vegies I mentioned. The proper temps needed for baby dragons is 40-45 c so you need to bump up the heat mate. UVB10 is perfect.

oh ok I got told by the breeder to have it at 36 to 38 degrees

from personal experience 40-45 is the correct temps. I'm sure many other bearded dragon keepers will agree with me here. Especially in Sydney where air temps aren't as warm as they are where the dragons naturally come from.
Best of luck mate the henrylawsoni are such lovely reptiles :)

from personal experience 40-45 is the correct temps. I'm sure many other bearded dragon keepers will agree with me here. Especially in Sydney where air temps aren't as warm as they are where the dragons naturally come from.
Best of luck mate the henrylawsoni are such lovely reptiles :)

cheers :) iill pm you his tank later today

cool as mate. If you have any questions just ask or pm me. I am happy to help out anyway I can.

Cut a variety of vegetation out of your lawn. They like clover, dandelions, grass. Try a few different flowers. I imagine the flowers are sweet due to the pollen.Just experiment as it costs nothing.

My Pygmy is now almost one year old and is yet to take a bite of anything that grows out of the ground. I even planted her own vegetable and flower garden for her with dandelion and nasturtium all to no avail. She just will not eat anything other than an insect. Loves woodies, silkworms, crickets and the very occasional (like once every few weeks) mealworm. Never picky at all just is not interested in plant life.

She is doing very well though and is almost 80 grams now and 22 cms long.

phoenix-30.10.13.jpg
PS that is Calcium and vitamin powder on her nose! Not sand or any kind of illicit drug!

Last edited:
billy u have a baby beardies will no eat fruit and veg at its age dont you do research before u get them ?

Come on now, saying they "will not eat fruit and veg at its age" is a load of bull I got all 50+ of my babies eating veggies at a few weeks old.

I got a veggie chopper and chopped it all up small.
Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, pea shoots, zucchini, squash, Pac choy, bok choy. They like color so sometimes I did capsicum, very small chopped carrot on occasion, snow peas. Cabbage, Alfalfa.

Fare enough at this stage they don't need to eat mega amount of veggies but you could try offering veggies first thing in the morning and give bugs in the arvo, I would cut back on bugs amount and how often for a few weeks and give it a try, he will have a not so full stomach for a few weeks and a big bowl of veggies always sitting there to try.
My dragons love it when the veggies have been sprayed with a bit of water.

Hope this helps in some way.

Last edited:
mine seem to enjoy banana, pumpkin & carrot in the morning

if you can't get the dragon to eat vegies then make sure the crickets are fed on a good food source such as carrots (should be there anyway), diced greens and some bearded dragon pellets in for good measure. This will make your crickets super happy and healthy and be great nourishment for your baby dragon

billy u have a baby beardies will no eat fruit and veg at its age dont you do research before u get them ?

this is what I hate people saying "didn't you research them before you bought it" yes off course I researched just because someone is asking a question doesn't mean aw they didn't research.

if you have the proper set up they should be eating crickets at least mate. It is not uncommon for the young dragons not to eat much veggies but yeah in your other thread you are saying they havent eaten in a week. This wouldn't be the case with a proper set up OR unless your dragons are ill which coming from a good breeder I would think they are certainly not sick

Now not saying you should do this but when I had the 50+ hatchlings a few of them I had to assist feed. hold it in one hand thumb under head, pointer finger on it's back use pinky finger on other hand to open it's mouth and get the wife to place a pinhead cricket in there for him to munch, did this a few times and them turned into munching machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back