First time owner of BT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicci

Reaction score
Hi guys. My first time on here and I'm a first time owner of a beautiful young man (possible not a man!!) BT. Alfred is 4mths old and came home yesterday. Any dietary hints or tips and advice in general would be greatly appreciated xx:)

well done i feed our 2 bt's good quality dog food with peas corn banana strawberry and some mixed salad greens...they will just about eat anything....they will eat most fruit and vegies...just do a google search.....it will come up with heaps of ideas for you:D

well done i feed our 2 bt's good quality dog food with peas corn banana strawberry and some mixed salad greens...they will just about eat anything....they will eat most fruit and vegies...just do a google search.....it will come up with heaps of ideas for you:D

What brand of dog food? If you don't mind me asking.

Personally I wouldn't go with any brand of dog food. I wouldn't feed that stuff to any animal I cared about.

For the meat portion of your critter's diet, I'd get something that hasn't been processed into an unidentifiable brown mush. My bluey gets mostly chunks of kangaroo meat (grosses me out no end, being that I'm a vegan haha, but I chose to have pets that need meat, so I can't complain) and raw egg occasionally for protein. He LOVES his egg, drinks it so fast that it comes out his nose sometimes, and I have to encourage him to slow down.

Aside from that, a mix of vegetables, some fruit, and as many greens as you can convince your critter to eat will ensure a balanced diet. I also like to add calcium and vitamin supplements to some of Banjo's meals, just to be sure he's not missing anything. Obviously you don't want to go too crazy with the supplements, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Keep everything in moderation and mix it up.

Also on a side note, I'd hop over to Google and run a search for things you SHOULDN'T feed it. It's important to know what to feed, but in my opinion it's just as important to know what to avoid.

All the best :) and feel free to post as many pictures as you like.. Haven't you heard? We love pictures!

x

Personally I wouldn't go with any brand of dog food. I wouldn't feed that stuff to any animal I cared about.

For the meat portion of your critter's diet, I'd get something that hasn't been processed into an unidentifiable brown mush. My bluey gets mostly chunks of kangaroo meat (grosses me out no end, being that I'm a vegan haha, but I chose to have pets that need meat, so I can't complain) and raw egg occasionally for protein. He LOVES his egg, drinks it so fast that it comes out his nose sometimes, and I have to encourage him to slow down.

Aside from that, a mix of vegetables, some fruit, and as many greens as you can convince your critter to eat will ensure a balanced diet. I also like to add calcium and vitamin supplements to some of Banjo's meals, just to be sure he's not missing anything. Obviously you don't want to go too crazy with the supplements, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Keep everything in moderation and mix it up.

Also on a side note, I'd hop over to Google and run a search for things you SHOULDN'T feed it. It's important to know what to feed, but in my opinion it's just as important to know what to avoid.

All the best :) and feel free to post as many pictures as you like.. Haven't you heard? We love pictures!

x

There is nothing wrong with commercial dog foods providing you are buying good quality and not cheap garbage like chum, pedigree etc...

There is nothing wrong with commercial dog foods providing you are buying good quality and not cheap garbage like chum, pedigree etc...

I can't agree with you, but differing opinions aren't a bad thing, and that's all this is: my opinion. I do want to mention though that price isn't always proof of quality, if you are going to use commercial dog food definitely find out what goes into it as best you can.

I can't agree with you, but differing opinions aren't a bad thing, and that's all this is: my opinion. I do want to mention though that price isn't always proof of quality, if you are going to use commercial dog food definitely find out what goes into it as best you can.

I know. Price doesn't really count for much.
K9 and Barf are both excellent quality foods for dogs. I have used K9 as a meat portion for my lizards and not had an issue. There is even a big breeder of bluetongues that has suggested to me using Supercoat cat biscuits.

I know. Price doesn't really count for much.
K9 and Barf are both excellent quality foods for dogs. I have used K9 as a meat portion for my lizards and not had an issue. There is even a big breeder of bluetongues that has suggested to me using Supercoat cat biscuits.

If that works for you and your critters, then by all means go for it :) I didn't mean to step on any toes with my blunt aversion to commercial dog food.

Renae

K9 and Barf are both raw based, low carbohydrate, high quality protein dog foods that are excellent choices for BTS.

im sorry but no one giving an answer so i thought i would get it of to a start. my animals are very happy and healthy feeding them with your so cslled crap dog food....thankyou. ....

im sorry but no one giving an answer so i thought i would get it of to a start. my animals are very happy and healthy feeding them with your so cslled crap dog food....thankyou. ....

I wouldn't worry too much, I have seen wild blueys trying to eat three week old road kill that has been mashed into the road. Its only the slow race horses that get put into cans anyway, and in France horse meat for human consumption is considered as normal as eating beef. Canned dogfood is a good staple( or base) to use with other ingredients as bluey food.

Plenty of good feeding ideas can be found in books like:

An Introduction to Keeping & Breeding Australian Reptiles by Mike swan and Damian Goodall

Blue-Tongued Skinks, Contributions to Tiliqua and Cyclodomorphus by Robert Hitz( and four others I can't be bothered typing) this book is also known as the Bluetongue skink bible.

A Guide to Australian Skinks in Captivity by Dr Danny Brown

Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards by Mike Swan

and the old chestnut of the them all
Care of Australian Reptiles in Captivity by John Weigel

Start growing your own library, even old hands still benefit from having titles like these on the shelf at home.

Cheers

Whoa, settle down.. You don't need to get hostile, I didn't call it "crap", I just personally wouldn't use it. If it works for you, then go for it. You're always going to come across differing opinions in these kinds of threads, can we please keep it civil :?

Renae

Last edited:
sorry skippi all good the op asked the question a week ago with no answer.so i thought i would offer some advice and as soon as i did everyone jumped on me.....everyone has their preference for food i personally have tried a few things and found the cheapest dog food is the one they like the best

sorry skippi all good the op asked the question a week ago with no answer.so i thought i would offer some advice and as soon as i did everyone jumped on me.....everyone has their preference for food i personally have tried a few things and found the cheapest dog food is the one they like the best

Sorry if my initial response upset you, I didn't mean it as an attack on your methods. Though I do want to say that I didn't actually notice anyone else having a problem with dog food. Most people that responded were naming brands that they consider good quality, which I'm sure will help people in future that come across this thread.

Personally I don't like to feed my critters anything that I can't identify, because if I can't identify it there's no telling what's really in it. Like others have said though, people use all sorts of food for their blueys without any drama, and that doesn't surprise me. Blueys are tough, and most can survive and even remain healthy on all sorts of diets. Avoiding commercial dog foods may be unnecessary, but I have better peace of mind knowing 100% what I'm feeding my guys, that's all.

If you've found something that works for you and your critters, then that's great :) and I mean that. If they're in good health, then keep doing what you're doing.

Renae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back