Submissions to Qld EHP for current revision of Nature Coservation act 1992

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chimerapro

Reaction score
Something many of you may not be aware but Qld EHP are currently taking submissions for their current revision of the Nature Conservation Act 1992. Please familiarise yourself with the current act and submit your questions and submissions regarding changes you wish to have implemented to the email address below.
My understanding is they are mainly seeking submissions regarding commercial species lists, hybrid breeding and mutation breeding allowance under the current act.
Feel free to to contact Sally Egan SEQld regional manger of EHP if you have any questions regarding submissions.
Lets get things going in the right direction for our hobby because if you don't voice your opinion to them about what you want the dept to regulate they are likely to not change anything or worse change subsections to only benefit themselves or the parties that have made submissions and not make amendments that will benefit us as a whole.

https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/N/NatureConWiMR06.pdf

[email][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

I reckon they should take Womas off the restricted list. Is that the sort of thing they would be looking at if requested?

Woma's and GTP's. Outdated legislation. Also I would like to see changes to hybrid laws as it is here to stay and we need laws to allow them and list them so they are sold correctly and not passed on as pure bred animals.

Good post.

If you have an axe to grind , this is your chance people!

Remember if you are making a submission to provide as much supportive information as possible quoting scientific literature and providing links to papers, this will help your submission to be accepted as a valid one.

Maybe those thinking of submitting could start a thread on their thoughts as others may know of supporting published articles. We are not all up with the play with regards to the ins and outs of papers relating to the things we want changed. They could start the thread then link it on this thread. Hopefully we can all get along to work together without the typical jag/zeb/hybrid mudslingling that divides us. There are some real issues in QLD legislation regarding commercial species, so called restricted reptiles, being able to show certain reptiles and the ability to sell at festivals. Also while I do not breed or keep hybrids, I would prefer it if those that are producing and keeping them had the ability to label them as what they are. Once again dont start with the tired old arguements about jags/hybrids etc. There are plenty of other threads that are full of that already and they go around in circles. What we need to do is move forward.

My 2cents,
Aaron

Maybe those thinking of submitting could start a thread on their thoughts as others may know of supporting published articles. We are not all up with the play with regards to the ins and outs of papers relating to the things we want changed. They could start the thread then link it on this thread. Hopefully we can all get along to work together without the typical jag/zeb/hybrid mudslingling that divides us. There are some real issues in QLD legislation regarding commercial species, so called restricted reptiles, being able to show certain reptiles and the ability to sell at festivals. Also while I do not breed or keep hybrids, I would prefer it if those that are producing and keeping them had the ability to label them as what they are. Once again dont start with the tired old arguements about jags/hybrids etc. There are plenty of other threads that are full of that already and they go around in circles. What we need to do is move forward.

My 2cents,
Aaron
Totally Agree with you Aaron.
I think posting links for supportive info of submissions would help so many out and I'm happy for them to be posted in this thread to make them easier to find. It doesn't have to necessarily be a scientific paper with your submission but some sort of reason and explanation as to why you are making your submission is only going to give it more credibility. For example:
Hello my name is Jo Blo snake keeper permit number wiwlblahblahblah I have been keeping reptiles under permit for X years. In light of recent news that the dept is accepting submissions for revisions of the act I would like to offer my opinion on a change I feel should take place.
I feel womas (Aspidites ramsayi) should come off the restricted list due to the captive population being in such high numbers and many of the localities in collections are not of the Qld form which has quiet a restrictive range the others are of localities which are at this point in time stable in their population densities. Allowing these species to be more accessible to hobbyists will only benefit the wild populations by increased knowledge of their biology and with that in turn will increase their numbers in captivity in turn protecting wild stock by reducing the need for poaching due to them being so common in captivity. If they are removed from the restricted permit it will decrease the need for paperwork by the dept and allow more people to enjoy this wonderful species. Thanks for taking the time to read my submission and I look forward to seeing what amendments are made in the near future.
Kind regards Jo Blo snake keeper.

I really hope you all get on board with this and send your submissions in as it is only going to benefit us hobbyists. If you don't somebody else will submitt revisions that may take more of our rights away or only benefit their own agendas if you all think "oh somebody else will make a submission why should I bother" send one anyway if they get 1 email stating something they may overlook it if they get 1000's they are more likely to listen to what we want changed.
Cheers Nathan.

I'd like to see scrub pythons, olives and large monitors put onto restricted license not basic.

I'd like to see scrub pythons, olives and large monitors put onto restricted license not basic.
I agree with you on this. These species can be quite dangerous and it is way to easy for inexperienced people to buy them just for the cool factor.
One thing I would like to see is the ability for recreational keepers to be allowed to own crocodiles on a restricted license that requires some basic handling and care training. If some people are interested here to help me try and create a convincing argument for the keeping of captive crocs would be excellent so we can look putting in an application for this.
Another thing that would be interesting that isn't reptile related would be the keeping of small native mammals on Queensland wildlife licenses.
Cheers Cameron

I'd like to see them remove a pointless licensing system that is only there so a government organisation can make money and feel like they have all the power.

My 2cents,
Aaron
I agree with what you have said here, I posted what some of the changes I would like to see and then read the post about needing papers to back up my thoughts and had no idea where I was going to start and it was nearly put into the "too hard basket" as I could imagine a lot of others doing. Maybe this needs someone to oversee and organise this to keep similar ideas together and on track and maybe even someone to review the supporting documentation if someone was willing and had the knowledge.

It would be great also if those from interstate could please help out if they have the ability to assist us in any way as some of us Qlders have also supported other states with their submissions in the past and will continue to in the future.

Also, support your local reptile society so they can support you too with the good fight against senceless legislation.

Cheers, Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back