Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MachinegunTurk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an animal lover, but my partner is not. but we have come to the conclusion a snake would be an ideal indoor pet for the family. ( we have two large dogs outside) my partner likes the idea of a snake because he hates animals that are in your face such as cats, or the noise of birds or the smell of mice/rats. so a snake ticks all the boxes. i have two small children but are very good with animals and listen when told not to do something. my friend showed me one of their snakes and my son loved it and i really enjoyed handling it. so i want to know what are good websites to read up about different snakes and care for them.

i am also looking for personal suggestions for a small docile snake.

any information would be greatly appreciated from people who obviously know what snakes are available and what they are like and any recommended breeders. I have set a time frame of about a year to sort out what i need and to research to ensure the snake is an ideal pet.

i have been suggested a childrens python but would like more option.

i have seen some of the beautiful piebald pythons but know they are not available in australia.

so thank you all for any advice tips and what not :)

Snake Ranch has some awesome looking snakes, and also alot of helpful info on thier website. I Suggest giving them a try!

Big thumbs up to doing your research before you commit to one. :D

Not sure that docile is a word for snakes, but some species tolerate handling more than others, and that varies with individuals as well.

I think an adult python would be your best bet, as most hatchies and some of the younger ones tend to be snappy (defensive, as they would need to be in the wild as a youngster).

There's some great articles here that helps with selection of snakes written by Simon Stone. http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/road_testing_lr.pdf

Murray Darlings are usually good handlers, but can grow to 6 foot, so not exactly small...perhaps a Stimsons or a Childrens or even a Rough Scale Python, but they are on an advanced licence.

slightly off topic , but god its refreshing to see somebody that wants to learn what they need to know BEFORE they rush out and get the animal , kudos to you with that attitude you may not need to take a year to get the basics sorted :) all the best

and oh yes any of the children's group are supposed to be good for beginners , i say supposed to be as ive never kept them i went straight to womas and carpets and havent looked back

slightly off topic , but god its refreshing to see somebody that wants to learn what they need to know BEFORE they rush out and get the animal , kudos to you with that attitude you may not need to take a year to get the basics sorted :) all the best

and oh yes any of the children's group are supposed to be good for beginners , i say supposed to be as ive never kept them i went straight to womas and carpets and havent looked back

Yeah i always research before gettin an animal. such as breeds such what i need to do with regards to getting a samoyed dog as ive never had a long haired artic dog and same with the am bulldog. i like to know what im commiting too and what i need to know about. snakes seem like an easy pet but there is many things i need to learn like i was googling what to do if they bite and dont release. i didnt know that you can have a tank that is too big. also what type of snakes are available in aus. i would so love a panda piebald ball python but apparently they are illegal so thats off the list for me lol.

thanks guys im loving all the advice :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i always research before gettin an animal. such as breeds such what i need to do with regards to getting a samoyed dog as ive never had a long haired artic dog and same with the am bulldog. i like to know what im commiting too and what i need to know about. snakes seem like an easy pet but there is many things i need to learn like i was googling what to do if they bite and dont release. i didnt know that you can have a tank that is too big. also what type of snakes are available in aus. i would so love a panda piebald ball python but apparently they are illegal so thats off the list for me lol.

thanks guys im loving all the advice :)

Any snake that is not native to Australia is illegal. I started with womas, same as thomassss. Womas are usually very calm, look cool and dont get too big. Good luck with you decision making!! :D

Oh and a good way to find out all the species of snakes in Australia is to get a field guid book, and you can also read about their habitat and diet in the book.

Last edited:
I suggest Anthony he is a great breeder located at ourimbah he help me alot.

Here his number give him a text or call 0404899466

Check out the womas. I find them the most docile of any snake I've ever owned (including children's)

Try a gammon ranges carpet, like most carpets usually good feeders and handlers but not as big as the costal carpets. I have both a gammon and a stimsons and both are great but the stimmie was really snappy as a yearling and they do go off feeding for months at a time which can be worrying for first time owners.

Joe

what about a blue tongue? my frined had one and said its good and doesnt bite and stuff bit more care required but doesnt need much handling to stay placid. anyone had bad experiences with blue tongues?

Check out a few threads in the lizard section of this forum maybe, I had one as a kid, never bit, beautiful animals...what about a Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back