Rat prices.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPcrazy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Stocked up on rats today. I got 3 weeks worth of rats for all my snakes (not including my monitors). Total cost $517.33, luckily for me, I have a friend that works at the pet shop, so I got them down to $238.44.

Just curious what everyone else pays for a months worth of rodents?

How many snakes is that feeding? You'd want to have a decent job or breed lots of hatchies lol

Stocked up on rats today. I got 3 weeks worth of rats for all my snakes (not including my monitors). Total cost $517.33, luckily for me, I have a friend that works at the pet shop, so I got them down to $238.44.

Just curious what everyone else pays for a months worth of rodents?

WOW, that's a lot of food.
Hope you have a massive chest freezer!
That's a big discount too!

How many snakes is that feeding? You'd want to have a decent job or breed lots of hatchies lol

That's feeding 33 snakes of all sizes. It's the larger rats that costs the big bucks.

WOW, that's a lot of food.
Hope you have a massive chest freezer!
That's a big discount too!

I've got a upright freezer for my rats. The chest freezers annoyed me, because I had to dig through a great deal of rats to find the ones I wanted.

I'm still trying to adjust to the shock of paying for rodents, since I use to breed them for a while.

That's feeding 33 snakes of all sizes. It's the larger rats that costs the big bucks.

I've got a upright freezer for my rats. The chest freezers annoyed me, because I had to dig through a great deal of rats to find the ones I wanted.

I'm still trying to adjust to the shock of paying for rodents, since I use to breed them for a while.

Rats are crazy expensive!
Mice aren't so bad but wow! That's a lot of money for dead rodents lol that's like 2 weeks rent for me haha!

Up right freezer would be so much easier haha! If I had to store bulk food I would use one.

Was there a reason you stopped breeding your own?

Rats are crazy expensive!
Mice aren't so bad but wow! That's a lot of money for dead rodents lol that's like 2 weeks rent for me haha!

Up right freezer would be so much easier haha! If I had to store bulk food I would use one.

Was there a reason you stopped breeding your own?

A couple of reasons.

I had 800 breeding rats, so a had a pretty large rat setup in a small space. I ended up getting pretty bad ammonia poisoning, now my lungs play up when I'm in a rat room.

The other reason, is I had spinal surgery and now every day tasks are a real struggle.

Thats why I stopped breeding rats.

I have never bought rats from a pet store before. I bred my own mice and then rats, from the get go. I vaguely remember buying a few from a breeder while I was waiting for mine to grow. I can't even imagine how much it would cost me to feed all my reptiles now if I didn't breed my own rodents. I could easily go through over 100 rats a week in the summer. I haven't even bred anything yet!

How many tubs were you running with 800 rats? I wonder how much ammonia gives you ammonia poisoning...... I have around 800 rats at the moment, including younger ones I am growing up for breeding, and am keeping them in a double garage with only 1 small window and the gaps around the garage door, for ventilation. Even when I leave it a month between cleans, it doesn't smell badly of ammonia though, just rat smell. Only my grow out tubs get pretty pongy , but that is because there can be 60-80ish in each giant drawer. My garage looks like a maze now with rows of rack and only just enough space between them to wheel up the food bins and pull out the tubs :p

How many feeds are you giving in the 3 weeks, at the discount you got if that is feeding weekly then depending on how many larges that is thats not bad. My cost per feed for my snakes which are all adults is about 120 bucks, but i also breed my own, i have a similar sized collection to yours and i definitely dont need 800 breeder rats to support it i have about 50 breeders and as many growers and that supports my needs and a chocka block freezer now

I don't need 800 to support my collection, it is a hobby in itself, and another form of income for me. I imagine RSP crazy was not breeding that many for just her own collection, either :p

I have never bought rats from a pet store before. I bred my own mice and then rats, from the get go. I vaguely remember buying a few from a breeder while I was waiting for mine to grow. I can't even imagine how much it would cost me to feed all my reptiles now if I didn't breed my own rodents. I could easily go through over 100 rats a week in the summer. I haven't even bred anything yet!

How many tubs were you running with 800 rats? I wonder how much ammonia gives you ammonia poisoning...... I have around 800 rats at the moment, including younger ones I am growing up for breeding, and am keeping them in a double garage with only 1 small window and the gaps around the garage door, for ventilation. Even when I leave it a month between cleans, it doesn't smell badly of ammonia though, just rat smell. Only my grow out tubs get pretty pongy , but that is because there can be 60-80ish in each giant drawer. My garage looks like a maze now with rows of rack and only just enough space between them to wheel up the food bins and pull out the tubs

From memory, I had about 150 tubs of varying sizes (most were quite large tubs). I was cleaning them 1-2 times a week, depending on how they smelt.

How many feeds are you giving in the 3 weeks, at the discount you got if that is feeding weekly then depending on how many larges that is thats not bad. My cost per feed for my snakes which are all adults is about 120 bucks, but i also breed my own, i have a similar sized collection to yours and i definitely dont need 800 breeder rats to support it i have about 50 breeders and as many growers and that supports my needs and a chocka block freezer now

I feed once a week.

When I was breeding rats, I had around 100 reptiles that needed feeding. I also bred rats to sell.

Oh and ingie, I just double checked, I'm pretty sure I'm a "he". No lady bits down there. ;)

my last buy I took a photo of the prices they were:

3 small rats - 19.95
3 medium rats - 24.95
5 hopper rats - 24.95

They are just your standard do little farm rats being sold from a pet shop.

I think I paid about $70 odd for a pack of 7 mice, 3 med rats and 3 large rats from Local pet store

i once bought from a sponsor here but they then said they were building up their stock Nd the website has been closed since april

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought rats today $7.20 each, would be so much cheaper if I was allowed to use our baby rabbits which we give away

Just stocked up on 300 - 150G RATS - $1050.
100 - 170g Quail - $250
That should last about 4 months or so :lol:

I just bought rats today $7.20 each, would be so much cheaper if I was allowed to use our baby rabbits which we give away

Perhaps you could give your baby rabbits away to someone on this forum who could give you rats in exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back