Spotted Python - Aggressive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coopershane

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We have a 5 month old spotted python we bought her just over a month ago we have given her a bigger home and she gets feed once a week, when we first got her she was fine a little skittish around us obviously but now tries to bite me every time we get her out and when we are standing near the cage she strikes at us. The man we bought her off said he had never been bitten by her. We have them outside every weekend with us and she loves it. I'm wondering if there could be any reasons anyone can suggest why she has gone like this.

We have a 10month old jungle python who is as placid as anything loves being out of the tank and is generally happy.

We haven't made his tank that much bigger he has gone from a 30cm by 30cm cube to a 2 foot fish tank, we were told to do the transition gradually.

The only thing we do different from the previous owner is he was feeding him upwards of 3-4 times a week and we are only feeding him once a week sometime twice.

We just want to do the right thing by the snake

We haven't made his tank that much bigger he has gone from a 30cm by 30cm cube to a 2 foot fish tank, we were told to do the transition gradually.
theres your problem imo a 5 month old spotted is still going to be pretty darn tiny and his sitting in a 2 foot tank that i assume is still exposed from all sides , except for maybe the back wall ?

put yourself into his position , his still tiny and relatively low on the food chain at the moment and he feels as though he can be attacked from all sides and probably hasnt realised your no threat just yet , so seeing as he cant really flee when your trying to interact with him or his stuck in his tank , he feels as though he has to fight

the other problems with fish tanks are ventilation and heat retention , or lack of on both points glass is shocking at retaining heat and they only have ventilation in the roof which isnt very practical to get air circulation happening , wooden enclosures are 10 times better and they have the added benefit of making them feel a little more secure

I'd have to agree with the other posters that the tank size might be stressing the snake. Try putting him back in the smaller tank and make sure he has plenty of places to hide.

Also, how big is this spotted and what are you feeding him? A feed once a week is fine, but if the food item is too small he might be cranky because he's hungry.

I have 2 spotties from the same clutch that are 11 months old at the moment, and they are quite happy in their 7lt systema click clacks, at 5 months old they were both pretty snappy but have now calmed down to be 2 of the most wonderful inquisitive little snakes you could want. Have some patience and give it lots of hidy holes to feel safe and i am sure it will come around :) .............................Ron

he is approx 2.5 foot we are feeding him pinkie rats and fuzzy mice

we have just purchased a new wooden tank with the fake wall backing lots of hides and plenty of space for her to wander and explore.

lets hope we have a happier snake soon

leave him in a click clack for like a year. then worry about a tank or cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back