Plants poisonous/toxic to snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHappy

Reaction score
I read on this forum a couple of years ago about plants you shouldn't use in your snake enclosures and I think guava was one of them. Can anyone confirm this is true for me please

bump, i have been wondering about this same question, anyone got info?

This would be great if someone answered, always wondered if there were types of trees and plants I shouldn't use as branches in my enclosures.

A lot of those plants on that list are only harmful if ingested. As snakes don't eat plants a lot of those can be used. A lot of those on the list are completely unsuitable for a live vivarium anyhow, because of size and care requirements.

Personally I would be reluctant to put any live plants in a vivarium anyway, as a lot of those that would live ok in that environment would create humidity. That list I found when researching a wider food base for our beardies.

It can work but special attention would have to be given to the species of animal and plants. Those that thrive in humid conditions would be good. Like some colubrids, frogs, GTP, boyd's forest dragon, etc would be fine with bromeliads, some orchids, ferns, moss etc. It would not work with arid, semi arid, or temperate climate animals as plants for those conditions would die and obviously you would not put a desert animal into a living rainforest vivarium as the animal would end up with some pretty serious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back