Help on diamond python care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tye101

Reaction score
Hi everyone, would people with diamond pythons share with me how you keep your dp's about their heat and just heating at night. Thank you

Even in Melbourne I give no heat at night.
4-6 hrs per day I run a hot spot around 30-33.

i keep my hot end 29 and cool end 24-26. DPS is believed to be caused by heat so thats why i keep mine at 29. i keep heat on for 8 hours a day.

It depends on the age and health of the snake, time of year and whether or not it's digesting a meal, current weather conditions etc. I recommend providing heat for juveniles, even at night and especially when digesting a meal.
What age is your Diamond Python?

i keep my hot end 29 and cool end 24-26. DPS is believed to be caused by heat so thats why i keep mine at 29. i keep heat on for 8 hours a day.
I know that a lot of people believe in DPS and that it is caused by too much and I am not suggesting that Diamonds don't need cooler climates but all of the evidence that DPS actually exists is anecdotal and there is no scientific proof of it. A well know reptile vet believes that there is no actual thing as DPS but rather it is a combination of things caused by bad husbandry. From what I have read of the anecdotal stories "DPS" has a wide and varied range of symptoms from case to case and there is no doubt that these snakes are actually unhealthy but is it actually "DPS".

I give my Diamond 4hrs of heat (8am - Midday) on dimming thermostat and timer. I also have 6hrs 2.0 UV. Like previous comments I aim for 28-29 degrees at the basking spot. The enclosure should be big enough for the python to thermo regulate it's body temperature and have access to cooler parts of the enclosure. During the cooler months, April to September. I heat from 10am to Midday with 5hrs 2.0 UV. I live on Central Coast NSW, natural range of the Diamond. I do not heat at night.

I've read that DPS is actually a virus, its on here somewhere, someone put a diamond in the same enclosure as the snake with DPS and they all came down with the illness, sounds like a virus to me.

I've read that DPS is actually a virus, its on here somewhere, someone put a diamond in the same enclosure as the snake with DPS and they all came down with the illness, sounds like a virus to me.
That thread is a very good one from someone who has kept diamonds for a very long time but from memory I don't recall any vet checks being done to test for viruses and no official diagnosis of "DPS" being made. A lot of that thread was anecdotal evidence and there was very varied symptoms.

Edit. I am actually very interested in this topic and would like here of any actual vet diagnosis's of DPS if anyone has any and any papers written on the subject.

Last edited:
I know that a lot of people believe in DPS and that it is caused by too much and I am not suggesting that Diamonds don't need cooler climates but all of the evidence that DPS actually exists is anecdotal and there is no scientific proof of it. A well know reptile vet believes that there is no actual thing as DPS but rather it is a combination of things caused by bad husbandry. From what I have read of the anecdotal stories "DPS" has a wide and varied range of symptoms from case to case and there is no doubt that these snakes are actually unhealthy but is it actually "DPS".

You might want to talk to serpentongue about dps..or at least do a bit more research before posting.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-part-2-a-135920/

Last edited:
You might want to talk to serpentongue about dps..or at least do a bit more research before posting.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-part-2-a-135920/
That is the anecdotal evidence that I was talking about mate, I have read that thread and found it very interesting but there is not a lot actual tests by vets carried out with posted results or an actual diagnosis of DPS made other than by the keeper. Whilst I respect the keeper and understand that diamonds do need to be kept differently than other pythons to stay healthy and that particular keeper had found ways to do that I am not convinced that there is actually such a thing as DPS until there is scientific proof. I have actually done quite a lot of searching for research on "DPS" but there is nothing more than anecdotal evidence and stories about it. Like my second post in here states I am happy for people to post actual scientific proof and I will read it and possibly change my mind. Can you please post your research on DPS or was that APS thread it?

Although getting off the topic of the original question the OP posted, I think the info being given in regards to DPS is very relevant. Hopefully Tye101 takes it all in, does research DPS and what has become the accepted best practice in keeping diamonds in regards to heating and enjoys his snake for many years.
I agree we really don't know yet what DPS is but until then I'll continue to listen to guys like Serpentongue and hope I never have the same experience.

My Diamond python is about 1 and a half. She's always out on her log and I have UVB and a globe throughout 6hr of the day and no heat at night. I have a thermometer and at night it gets down to the 15, 16 and 17s. I'm in Sydney South :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back