Recommend a camera?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellannn

Reaction score
I have had no photography experience previously but I would love to start taking photos of my animals and nature/ wildlife around me. (Just as a hobby)
The camera I have is 6 years old and I think it's time for an upgrade.
Would anyone recommend a camera that would be somewhat good for a beginner? I'm pretty clueless with these things.

I think a nice cannon digital slr would be perfect with a twin lens kit look around you can get them for around 600 plus now :)
Hope that helps you abit and nikon is very good aswell good luck

yep Nikon or Canon. (There isn't much between them, though Canon can be lighter on the wallet with more mid range lenses available).
Some of my Nikon D7000 pics... (D7000 is just a mid range DX sensor camera).

Attachments

• Venice 4.jpg
    Venice 4.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Zermatt - Switzerland.jpg
    Zermatt - Switzerland.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 104
  • abc.jpg
    abc.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 104
  • mandrin duck.jpg
    mandrin duck.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 139
  • frog-1.jpg
    frog-1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_5162_1774_edited-2_edTMP-1.jpg
    DSC_5162_1774_edited-2_edTMP-1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_5532a.jpg
    DSC_5532a.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited by a moderator:
Go second hand to save coin and get more camera for the money. There are plenty of people who 'need' the latest and greatest when it comes to camera bodies. Thank goodness because it leaves great inexpensive camera bodies for the rest of us who don't hunger for the latest and greatest. Unless you are doing it for a living or are making very large prints you probably won't notice the difference.

Here are a couple of pics I grabbed from my flickr. All taken with my second hand Nikon d700 (first released in 2008 ). Someone better than me who knows what they are doing is sure to get better images too. Sorry, mostly birds as thats what interests me when I have a camera.

9320541572_a65e3a5bda_z.jpg

9320908592_d9a7c3789f_z.jpg

9318264069_c50e7486b5_z.jpg

10473821905_3bb2c430f7_z.jpg

9318385685_9fa53bb119_z.jpg
9334724082_319dc2efaf_z.jpg
9357300992_79bb2f7c66_z.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you get second hand camera bodies and lenses? Other than eBay?

Oh Snowman, forgot to add. Great images above. Are the laneway and hut image Hdr? Great detail.

Second hand you can look at ebay,gumtree or better still on the photography forums. I also hear of second had places that offer refurbished with waranties etc (adorama?) but have never actually looked into those.

Oh Snowman, forgot to add. Great images above. Are the laneway and hut image Hdr? Great detail.

Second hand you can look at ebay,gumtree or better still on the photography forums. I also hear of second had places that offer refurbished with waranties etc (adorama?) but have never actually looked into those.
Yeah they were my first attempts at HDR. It's fun, but not really photography.
What lens are you using? Beautiful pics you have there!

Yeah they were my first attempts at HDR. It's fun, but not really photography.
What lens are you using? Beautiful pics you have there!

Ahh very cool. I haven't tried hdr yet. Will have to give it a go! Most of these were a nikon 300mm f4 or a tamron 90mm f2.8 macro Both also cheap (comparatively) and second hand through ebay. My third lens is the nifty 50mm (one of nikons cheapest lenses but fantastic image quality for the price).

Just shop around and research the lenses you are interested in Ellann :) Plenty of quality equipment for good prices on the second hand market if you decide to go that way.

I have a Nikon D3100 - great little camera, not too expensive, easy to use.

if you don't want to get too complicated I think that a Canon IXUS would be good enough . I usually buy the clearance model and save $$ but if you need the best buy the new one at the time :)

gumtree is great for second hand! Just be very wary of scammers...

i got my canon 7d with battery grip, bag, 18-135mm lens and 16g memory card for $800 all up.

i would definitely recommend getting a relatively cheap second hand body from the brand of your choice and spending some coin on some quality lenses.

+ 1 Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro

EXCELLENT well priced macro lens!

I've bought through B&H previously and highly recommend them, very good prices, huge range and you can have confidence in knowing what you are buying.

Used | B&H Photo

Ugh so any helpful posts! Thank you so much guys! You have made it so much easier!
Thankyou thankyou thankyou!

And such incredible photos snowman and danielk!! Hopefully when I get my camera they will be half as good!!!

I recently purchased a Nikon D3200 single lens kit and then purchased a Nikkor 70-300mm lens. IMO, spend less on the body and buy good quality glass. Yes the camera takes part but without good quality lenses you will eventually hit a wall with what you can capture. Sigma makes great glass with a reasonable price tag. Happy hunting

It's been ages since I've gone out with a camera and taken some photos, but I used to shoot pictures of reptiles and other wildlife with my Nikon D3000 and it always worked like a charm. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back