5 year old Diamond has not eaten for six months

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colooch

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have only ever had problems with feeding when we go on holidays and have a friend look after it, change water and clean enclosure the snake has only been fed rats and I've told my friend the importance of not changing up his diet but this is the second time I've left him and had trouble feeding him when I got home. Got the feeling my friend has been live feeding him mice! I have asked my friend but have the feeling I'm being told stories it's the only thing I can think of the snake has always been a great feeder any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you go on holidays the same time of year each time?

Mature snakes stop eating for long periods sometimes, it's just what they do.

Yeah around June July almost every year as work slows down in winter it's only happened in the last two years

I know it can be frustrating but I wouldn't worry about him not eating they will eat when ready.
but if you think he is turning his nose up at frozen/thawed rats maybe you could talk to your supplier about buying freshly euthed rats.

mate my stimson python has gone nine months without eating before I was stressing heaps just kept trying then one day got hell frustrated and shook the hell out the mouse and he ate it, he will eat when hes ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah around June July almost every year as work slows down in winter it's only happened in the last two years

In that case I don't think it's your friends fault, more the time of year - they do often stop eating as the weather cools, especially males.

Thanks guys for your help ive been looking at other existing theads on similar topic its been a while since ive been on this web site its just frustrating he takes jumbo rats at $15 and I never refreeze them, as for my friend I'm glad I didnt get stuck into him.

I've got a female jungle that hasn't eaten since I bought her in August. Her big mate only started eating end of September

My male diamond has only just started eating again, which I think makes about 5 months without food. If you're concerned about the bill, use smaller rats when you start offering him food.

I don't offer anything to any snakes in June, July or August. And I expect my boy to refuse until November.

My stimmies been off for at least 5 months and refused the last two times I offered food. The weather here in SA has been really screwy as of late and has been upsetting a lot of things.

Joe

Hearing you, Joe! Some of our snakes went through a funny patch a few weeks ago. Our weather has been a bit screwy hasn't it?

My male diamond has only just started eating again, which I think makes about 5 months without food. If you're concerned about the bill, use smaller rats when you start offering him food.

I don't offer anything to any snakes in June, July or August. And I expect my boy to refuse until November.

It's November now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

my jungle has just taken his first feed since july! i wouldnt be worried maybe try larger food item? it seemed to get mine to feed when i upsize the rats from medium to jumbo

My Diamond does the same thing every year, to get him back eating I throw in a quail - works every time!

my jungle has just taken his first feed since july! i wouldnt be worried maybe try larger food item? it seemed to get mine to feed when i upsize the rats from medium to jumbo
I usually start with a size smaller than what I was feeding my shakes before brumation because after they come out of brumation their system has been slowed down and I want to give them a small item to kick their system back into eating slowly so they can increase their metabolism. Not sure if science supports my thoughts but my snakes haven't had any ill effects from doing this so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back