GTP Enclosure idea

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeroy1983

Reaction score
Hi I am after some advice from some of you GTP gurus out there. I'm starting construction of a new enclosure for python soon and i'm going to incorporate an aquarium into it, similar to the stein enclosures. In the enclosure i'm going to have a misting system running obviously fresh water but in the aquarium i want to run it slightly brackish maybe at 3% salt level so that i can keep my archer fish in there. My question is will there be any issue running that kind of setup? Likelihood of the GTP drinking the brackish water long term damage to my python? This setup is ideally what i want to do but wont do brackish if its an issue.
Thanks

There's a reason why few of the Stein-type enclosures are run for very long by keepers who spent a fortune on them - they don't work and make management very complicated. You will not be able to use brackish water because your chondro will need clean, fresh water to drink, and you won't be able to monitor your snake and what it drinks. An aquarium with fish that grow quite large (and Toxotes do get big) will only give your snake water which has been contaminated with fish waste, and when the snake poops in the water, the problem is compounded for the snake and the fish.

Just set up a nice landscaped enclosure for your GTP and save yourself and your snake a heap of problems...

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no expert when it comes to this so take my opinion however you like.

I personally wouldn't be putting brackish water with fish in it near your python for reasons above.

However if your going for a purely aesthetic look I don't see why you couldn't have a lower half of the aquarium set-up to house the fish with one type of water totally separate from your snake and through the use some design and planning create a pond like feature for your snake using fresh water from a different source that looks as if the two separate volumes of water are one.

It would take a bit of time,effort,tears, and frustration but if done the way you envisioned then would be a great success and would make a really cool D.I.Y

The only way I can see it working is if you physically separated the tank inside the snake's enclosure - i.e. had it completely sealed with a portion that you open to feed / water change and have a separate, fresh water, bowl for your animal (a sealed fish tank within a snake tank). Very few animals can drink salt water without some detriment, I personally wouldn't like to risk it.

You can do really cool things with your GTP's enclosure other than filling it with water; you can plant real plants, landscape it, make backgrounds, make your own perches - all this kind of stuff. In my opinion, using real plants is worth the effort as it provides more stimulation for the snake.

Acrylic... pond... and simple don't really fit together well at all. Acrylic is hard to clean and absorbs water, even from the atmosphere. You'll see it happen when you have higher humidity on one side that the other - the high humidity side expands so the acrylic bows. Try using it unframed as a lid for an aquarium...

I'm really curious about the often stated idea that GTPs will do well in enclosures with ponds, large bodies of free-standing water, COUPLED with inbuilt sprinkler systems. They live in trees with lots of air circulating around them, not in wet swamps with limited ventilation. They get wet when it rains, they dry off as soon as it stops. At most adult GTPs need to be sprayed once or twice a week, with the exception (maybe) of when they are shedding, and only then for a day or two before they do shed.

And then there's cleaning the acrylic... scratches easily (from the first time you wipe it down), and it is highly electrostatic so it attracts dust.

I totally understand the desire to place them in an aesthetically pleasing, maybe planted enclosure, but incorporating more than a bowl for drinking water, which can be quickly and easily removed to allow cleaning, is asking for trouble. If you don't remove and scrub a water bowl for a week or two, you'll feel a layer of slime on the inside when you run your fingers over it. That's a bacterial film which may end up contaminating the fresh water you place into it if it's not removed. A built-in pond will be almost impossible to effectively clean.

Good husbandry should be the No 1 consideration, and large bodies of water which your snake can defecate into and are hard to remove or clean should not be part of any good enclosure.

As I said, these are tree snakes, not swamp snakes.

Jamie

One thing that I notice is that second hand Stein pond/enclosure setups seem to be sold off fairly regularly which suggests to me that they either don't work or they are hard work. I wish you luck in your attempts and would like to see how you get around the problems that an enclosure like this provides. I think that someone else on here was fairly confident that they could do it and set one up so maybe see how they went and what troubles they had.

Jamie, I admire your persistence here. But I let it slide. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back