Windows 7 boots faster than Windows 8... Anyone else have this issue?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all... So on my gaming PC

Windows 7 is useable from a cold boot in roughly 15 seconds (even with hibernation totally disabled).

Windows 8 is usable from a cold boor in roughly 40 seconds.

With fast boot (hibernation) enabled Windows 8 boots pretty much just as quick as Windows 7.
But I power off all my stuff at the wall when I go to sleep so fast boot is pretty much useless to me.
Plus I'd rather have the extra HDD space by switching hibernation off.

Anyone else experience anything similar to this...? There's got to be a reason why Windows 8 is booting so slow for me.
I've disconnected all extra drives, pulled the mobo battery out, updated the bios.
Nothing seems to make a difference. Windows 8 always takes 30 seconds to boot to the login screen and around 5-10 to get to desktop.

Thanks guys.

Edit: I just tried my new Vaio Pro with fast boot (hibernation) disabled and it made no difference to the boot time. Why is my PC so different then?

Last edited:
As silly as it sounds, check your HDD and partitions setup. I have come across this with systems running multiple OS's on hardware that's causing issues due to HDD sector issues. Just out of curiosity, what's your rigs hardware setup.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Yeah I probably should of put my specs up from the beginning, sorry... Here they are:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8GB (2x4GB) G Skill Ripjaws 13333MHz
OS Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Backup Drive Samsung Spinpoint F4EG 2TB
2 x 6950s with dual bios (running on the 6970 bios)
Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M Pro
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
BIOS: BIOS Date: 04/20/12 10:17:49 Ver: 37.01
Previous BIOS version was from 2010 (0307)

The only thing I can think of is that the BIOS is too old still (fast boot wasn't working until I updated to the 2012 bios)...
But I've tried even newer versions and none will flash succesfully. Always get intergrity check failed. All from the same Asus website/page.
Also I only have the one OS running on the main HDD. No dual boot or anything. It's a clean (brought) version.
Even on a fresh install of Windows 8 - just the OS itself (and only the OS drive connected, no backup drive or USB devices)...
Still takes 30 seconds to boot to the login screen (If fast boot is disabled).

Thanks again.

So your BIOS and MB is older than the OS?

That's a bugger mate. No chance of trying to flash it under Win 7?

So I thought I'd give an update to this... Since reinstalling Windows 7 the boot time is back to around 15 seconds.
I think something must be wrong with the Windows 8 version I have. I ran a sfc /scannow command and it barely got 10% through and said system files were wrong versions/corrupt.
I did the same run through on Windows 7 and it went all the way through to 100%.
I might just download Windows 8.1 when my internet usage is almost up for the month.
As a side note: I have shrunk Windows 7 and 8 with various programs [RT7Lite/Vlite/Winreducer 7 and 8] so that may have something to do with it.
Even still, the original Windows files come from genuine Windows Discs/Isos. Perhaps the Windows 8 copy procedure went bad?

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. Starting to think I was just crazy. Lol.

I mean every review you read says WIndows 8 boots faster.

Still seems very odd that on a new laptop pre=loaded with Windows 8 it boots just as fast as an older Windows 7 PC (even with fast boot disabled). Yet on that same PC for some unknown reason Windows 8 is just slow to boot.

I'll just see how 8.1 is in a couple of weeks. If there's no change I will just stick with 7 until it's no longer supported.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Well that just makes things even more strange... As I said in an above post. My Vaio Pro (I5 1.6GhZ, 4400HD, 128GB PCI-E SSD, 4GB RAM) boots to login in about 10 seconds.

Fast boot enabled or disabled. Makes no difference to boot time.

It is also virtually useless if you don't have touchscreen. I would like to downgrade to win7 but unfortunately there is no easy way to do it. And all my app links on the win8 screen don't work any more. I just use it like win7 and ignore the stupid apps but it doesn't recognize some programs as apps like utorrent. Pain in the neck. But thats how windows rolls, one good, one bad.

Windows 8 was designed for tablets. Why they made it a full blown OS confuses me terribly. Maybe the fact that it was built up from an OS designed to run on smart phones and tablets could be a factor?

Windows 8 was designed for tablets. Why they made it a full blown OS confuses me terribly. Maybe the fact that it was built up from an OS designed to run on smart phones and tablets could be a factor?

There are PC's with touchscreen and touchscreen monitors but I don't see them as being something everyone wants. My tablet is all the touch screen I need.

Just install Classic Shell (if you haven't already)... Then you have your Windows 7 like start menu back.
Plus I'm pretty sure it has a boot straight to desktop/disable metro UI option(s). It's also free.

Last edited:
Windows 8 sucks. That is all.

If I wanted a setup like a tablet, I would buy a tablet! Unfortunately my pc came with windows 8 pre-installed. Wish there were an easy way to 'upgrade' back to windows 7.

There's 2 things I hate the most about win8!

1) Popping up with a msg saying I have 15min to save my work before it reboots to install an update..... No! Let me install it later when I'm not halfway through a timed online assessment

2) If my finger goes to the edge of the trackpad (like it does ALL the time) it doesn't mean I want to switch windows or applications, it means i was browsing stuff or I wanted to move the mouse pointer out of the way

Also, why do i have to go through so many steps to shut down. Go to start from desktop, bring up charms, go to power, select shutdown, yes I do want to shut down. Its like a nagging old woman -_-

WINDOWS 8 = FAIL

Back in June I bought myself a new dell Inspiron.(the touch screen one) Honestly I hated windows 8 with a passion for the reasons stated above. Now that I have had some time with it I'm not bothered by it as much. Anyways my laptop reboots fast as hell.

Windows 8, IMO is very fast and I've personally had no problems gaming with it or using it, Its extremely customizable and I don't see what the big fuss is.

- - - Updated - - -

There's 2 things I hate the most about win8!

1) Popping up with a msg saying I have 15min to save my work before it reboots to install an update..... No! Let me install it later when I'm not halfway through a timed online assessment

2) If my finger goes to the edge of the trackpad (like it does ALL the time) it doesn't mean I want to switch windows or applications, it means i was browsing stuff or I wanted to move the mouse pointer out of the way

Also, why do i have to go through so many steps to shut down. Go to start from desktop, bring up charms, go to power, select shutdown, yes I do want to shut down. Its like a nagging old woman -_-

WINDOWS 8 = FAIL

Control+Alt+Delete And turn it off from that page there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back