what do i do

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppy

Not so new Member
Banned
Reaction score
i think my pet garden skinks have had eggs this morning I looked in and I saw a shrivelled up egg so im guessing its infertile. but then when I was about to change the water and took the water bowl out and underneath was another egg not shrivelled up.
what do I do to the egg that's not shrivelled up to ensure it hatches healthily. also how many eggs do they usually lay will there be more? thanks.

Id leave it, itd be interesting to see if they lay their eggs in the same spot.
in the wild guich's and delicata are known for their nest of eggs, i found about 50 eggs once under a little log

also will the adult skinks eat the eggs?

They shouldn't, I've had marbled geckos lay eggs and I left them with the adult's both hatched then I took the babies out into a spare enclosure.

My Son had a colony of about 30 Garden Skinks a few years ago, and all the adult females layed their eggs in a communal nest under the big log they used for basking, there must have been about 60 eggs altogether, none of the others tried to eat the eggs but the dominant Males were eating the hatchling when they appeared from under the log so he had to seperate them for awhile. Up to that point i had never heard of Garden Skinks being Cannibalistic. :) ..........................Ron

What do you feed so many skinks! I disturbed some skink eggs accidentally before, put them in a take away container on vermiculite on top of one of my enclosures. Hatched fine, and released back into the garden

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

What do you feed so many skinks! I disturbed some skink eggs accidentally before, put them in a take away container on vermiculite on top of one of my enclosures. Hatched fine, and released back into the garden

Baby Crickets and newly hatched Woodies, the Crickets were a bugger to breed but the Woodies were a dream, and to make sure only the little 1s went into the colony for food we kept bundles of 25 drinking straws in the bottom of the Woody Colony and at feed time it was as simple as picking up a bundle of straws and giving it a tap over the top of the Skink Colony, enough of them got away during the first barrage of feeding Skinks to keep them hunting later. :) .......................Ron

Baby Crickets and newly hatched Woodies, the Crickets were a bugger to breed but the Woodies were a dream, and to make sure only the little 1s went into the colony for food we kept bundles of 25 drinking straws in the bottom of the Woody Colony and at feed time it was as simple as picking up a bundle of straws and giving it a tap over the top of the Skink Colony, enough of them got away during the first barrage of feeding Skinks to keep them hunting later. :) .......................Ron

Fair enough, sounds like a lot of food, especially for 30 skinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back