Naughty Froggy ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spud_meister

Reaction score
So, I found these two frogs getting it on in a bit of plastic in a pond, but they look to be different species. I'm fairly certain the one on top is a Spotted Marsh Frog, but I have no idea what his friend is on the bottom is.

WP_001715.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photo, my phone don't do so well at night.

As Nick said they are both common froglets, so eggs should be fertile

These frogs look like Common Eastern Froglet (Crinia signifiera) to me. Whilst members of this species are highly varied in colour and pattern, I'm familiar with these particular variations as belonging to this species.
Here's a link to more info and a good website for future reference: Frogs of Australia > Crinia signifera / Eastern Common Froglet

Last edited:
Bushman,
Your statement was not incorrect. It is a distinguishing characteristic, but not a defining characteristic. It is a very useful attribute to use but does not exclude Crinia where it is not present.

While we are at it, some species of Crinia are sexually dimorphic with respect to ventral patterns e.g. C. insignifera, C. glauerti. Sorry I can only give western examples as these are what I am most familiar with these days.

Blue

Your statement was not incorrect.

The original statement before it was deleted claimed that all Crinia have a black and white mottled belly, which is not the case. Most of the northern Crinia species - bilingua, deserticola and remota have plain ventral surfaces. Those in the east of the continent also lack a black and white mottled belly e.g. C. tinnula, C. sloanei and in most cases C. parinsignifera. It is not wise to rely on a single morphological feature (which is so variable in Crinia signifera itself) as the sole basis to distinguish between genera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back