why are my pygmy bearded dragons fighting they are both female?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lizboy

Reaction score
i have 2 pygmy bearded dragons both between 2 and 3 years old. they are both Female or ment to be by the lumps at the base of their tails. they keep fighting, at first it looked like they were trying to mate but now it just seems that they are fighting does anyone know why? it is really annoying me because i can't seem to see why they would be fighting.

It is just something that happens from time to time.... I've have M/F pairs who wanted to kill each other... There's no guarantee of compatability unfortunately... I don't get on with everyone I meet, I'm sure it's the same with you, I'm sure it's the same with your beardies....

thanks for the reply. in that case would you suggest that i separate them permantly?

Defiantly separate them,
You could come across
-Crushed foot
-eye problem
-hogging food/heat

Someone posted a very similiar issue on a FB page frequented by a well regarded reptile vet. The vets response:

Aggression in bearded dragons (of any species) has NOTHING to do with the sex of the animals. In many cases when dragons are housed together from a young age one animal will become the dominant animal. The larger the enclosure they are kept in the less of a problem this becomes as the subordinate animal can "get away" from the dominant animal.

this seems like it could be the problem but it does not seem like one of them is dominant they are both the same size and they attack each other at random.

this seems like it could be the problem but it does not seem like one of them is dominant they are both the same size and they attack each other at random.

It's not always this clear cut. They are fighting and that's the issue. The best thing to do is separate them permanently.

Agree with what everyone else said, separate them immediately and permanently, doesn't matter of size, sex, age or species if one wants to fight it will, and most times leaves one badly injured or worse dead.

what sort of environment do you keep them in? is it large enough?do they have separate basking spots? can we see pics of your setup?
that said I keep all my dragons in separate enclosures for safety reasons and only introduce them for mating purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back