Had a Little Visitor While Gardening... What is He?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippii

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was out in the garden this afternoon, tending to my aloe vera plants, when I saw some movement off to my side. I knew immediately it was some kind of lizard, but the movement was very different to that of the skinks that frequent the yard. So I dropped what I was doing to go investigate, and sure enough there was this sweet little face of a lizard peering up at me. It was obviously some kind of dragon, quite small and mostly dark in colour, though he did come out of some wet grass and lightened slightly after a few minutes. The only reptiles I've ever seen in my yard have been skinks, so it was quite a surprise to see this guy (a pleasant one!)

Dragon03_zpse7b634fe.png

He was really quite placid too, didn't try hard to run when I picked him up and only squirmed slightly for the first few seconds. I was a little worried at first that his lack of struggle might mean he was unwell, but he was very inquisitive and alert. I could clearly see him moving his little head around, following my other hand and any other movement, and his gaze also followed some birds that flew closely overhead. Such a sweet little lizard.

Dragon02_zps5c4cab9f.png

Can anyone tell me what kinda critter he was?

Dragon01_zpse4421f3b.png

Ta

Renae

looks like a jacky, due to size and markings.

Last edited:
Size, shape and the unbroken 'bar-like' dorsolaterals, definitely a Jacky Dragon. The buffy head more than colour suggests male to me, but I wouldn't call it, that's just postulation.

Thanks guys! I've just hopped onto Google, and I agree, definitely a jacky. He had the cute little bright yellow mouth and all (as well as some very sharp looking teeth.. glad he didn't decide to have a go). The yellow was really eye catching, I didn't realise Jackies were known for it. I'll keep an eye out for them in future, I'm starting to set up a garden so it'd be interesting to see if more critters started frequenting the yard.

Renae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back