Freezer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YayPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
so my parents are pretty much fine with me keeping a snake but are a little edgy with the whole rodents in the freezer thing so I was wondering if there was any small cheapish freezers out there I could get just for the rodents. Or alternatively in there anything else I could do apart from breed my own?

Thanks,
YayPythons :D

Hey everybody,
so my parents are pretty much fine with me keeping a snake but are a little edgy with the whole rodents in the freezer thing so I was wondering if there was any small cheapish freezers out there I could get just for the rodents. Or alternatively in there anything else I could do apart from breed my own?

Thanks,

Maybe ask if putting them in an airtight container in the freezer would be ok, this way any germs cant spread ( yes I know freezing kills germs, I also know about irrational thoughts) you can also go the added mile of making it a non see through airtight container with the savings on electricity bill for good measure lol

Maybe ask if putting them in an airtight container in the freezer would be ok, this way any germs cant spread ( yes I know freezing kills germs, I also know about irrational thoughts) you can also go the added mile of making it a non see through airtight container with the savings on electricity bill for good measure lol

I like this idea. Depending on what it is they don't like about it, you can easily pop them in a little container and tuck them in the back/bottom to not be seen until feed time.

I don't know if it makes me a horrible mum or teaches my kids about the circle of life but I keep ours in the freezer next to the icy-poles... My 4 year old wanted a snake so she has to be involved!

I keep mine in the 'pet' drawer of the freezer, next to the brisket bones and chicken necks :) The drawer has a frosty plastic look so you cant see inside.

Maybe ask parents if you can have a drawer of the freezer to keep your stuff in like that?

Okay thanks everybody.

Just thought of something else though, can you keep the rodents in your fridge? My fridge goes down to 0 degrees C and I've got some spare compartments in there I could use.

Regards,

Last edited:
I have the same problem here and do as suggested above, put them in a container that no one can see in and in a seperate part of the freezer. I also have a non see through container for thawing.

People who don't like frozen rats in the freezer are probably less worried about germs moving about, and more worried about it just being gross. I could put a container of dog poo in the freezer and guarantee my housemates that the germs wouldn't move about.... Pretty sure they would not go for this hahahahha.

Most of the Joyce Maynes, Big W and the like have bar freezer for about $259 which is about the price of a snake cage. The advantage of a dedicated freezer is you can then by rats in bulk and save dollars. The saving in filling the freezer once will more than pay for the freezer purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the best storage life you should aim at a consitent temperature of say -18 C or less. Oc wouldn't give you much room for error but should be ok for a shorter period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back