Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if a truck runs you and your family off the road its your fault because you choose to drive on the road with large trucks and cars are easily unseen??? Your argument is quiet questionable, as I'm sure your opinion would quickly change if that happen. yes we are easily unseen by people who are unable to check their blind spots before changing lanes, maybe people should learn to drive. you seem very defensive, did someone remove your mirror lol.

Noone has taken my mirrors . My argument is that bikes are small, uou will be unseen more... therefore expect it? Also if you have an accident your chance of death is way above cars even for simple low speed accidents. There are heaps of retard drivers we know that, but going around punching mirrors makes you way more of a dick than someone unintentionally cutting you off...

you are kidding right? a truck hitting a small car will do the same damage if not more then a person getting thrown off a bike. I totally agree with you there are a lot of retard drivers that feel that they own the road... You might feel that Im a ''dick'' for smashing someone's mirror that cuts me off but I bet they look over their shoulder everytime they merge after that so if it saves someone else from being cut off and possibly dying then, Im happy to be a ''dick''.

I understand what you're saying. I've never taken off anyone's mirror but if I get the chance I'd like to talk to anyone who cut me off, I just wish people would take more care with this kind of thing since it could kill someone. The number one thing we're taught when going for a bike licence in never to trust that anyone on the road will do what they should, you may not stay alive if you don't. It made me more aware as a car driver too, there's been plenty of times when I've been a passenger in my mother's car and I've seen something she hasn't. She's not a bad driver, I've just learned to pick up on a lot of things.

I understand what you're saying. I've never taken off anyone's mirror but if I get the chance I'd like to talk to anyone who cut me off, I just wish people would take more care with this kind of thing since it could kill someone. The number one thing we're taught when going for a bike licence in never to trust that anyone on the road will do what they should, you may not stay alive if you don't. It made me more aware as a car driver too, there's been plenty of times when I've been a passenger in my mother's car and I've seen something she hasn't. She's not a bad driver, I've just learned to pick up on a lot of things.

A lot of bike riders are in cars blind spots and continue to sit their,i drive a lifted 4wd and havent cut off or hit any bikes though. Almost ran over a little mr2 because it was so small and in my blind spot.

If bikes want to be seen either sit eye level or slightly a head of cars next to them or get right out the way. It is a very dangerous position to be putting you self into when even you get on a bike and making youself seen should be #1 priority for any riders. I only ride offroad but from a drivers point of vision bikes are one of the hardest things to see if in a blind spot.

Rick

A lot of bike riders are in cars blind spots and continue to sit their,i drive a lifted 4wd and havent cut off or hit any bikes though. Almost ran over a little mr2 because it was so small and in my blind spot.

If bikes want to be seen either sit eye level or slightly a head of cars next to them or get right out the way. It is a very dangerous position to be putting you self into when even you get on a bike and making youself seen should be #1 priority for any riders. I only ride offroad but from a drivers point of vision bikes are one of the hardest things to see if in a blind spot.

Rick

That's why you check your blind spots. Everyone knows there's a blind spot so it's invalid to say "oh but they were in my blind spot" like it justifies you hitting them.

That's why you check your blind spots. Everyone knows there's a blind spot so it's invalid to say "oh but they were in my blind spot" like it justifies you hitting them.

Agreed. Isn't that what a head check is for?

I've never had any incident myself but have witnessed a car hit a cyclist who was in her 'blind spot' turning in to a petrol station. Even the car driver admitted it was her fault she didn't check properly before turning. For his troubles (riding with correct safety gear and in the bike lane, in accordance with the law) the cyclist was taken to hospital with a broken jaw, broken ribs, broken shoulder, and covered in blood!

If you don't look and hit anything (property, person, vehicle), or come close, then you shouldn't be driving! Just like breaking any other road rule!

Gotta do the same. 50g pouch lasts 4-5 days tops. What model/brand did you buy?

Rick

Started off with an Apollo Extreme, ordered from the US which worked pretty well, but obviously rollies aren't the same as tailors and I missed the throat hit so I got a Superior eGo and it's excellent. It's one you fill with liquid yourself. Works out a lot cheaper than the pre-filled cartridges.

The site is apolloecigs.com. And if you Google for discounts you can find 25% off coupons codes within seconds.

This is what it is:

e9e9uja5.jpg

You might feel that Im a ''dick'' for smashing someone's mirror that cuts me off but I bet they look over their shoulder everytime they merge after that so if it saves someone else from being cut off and possibly dying then, Im happy to be a ''dick''.
think you being a little bit hopeful here , doubt very much that theyd be looking over their shoulder every single time just because some idiot ( the way theyd see you not me) punched their mirror on one occasion , do you stop to tell them why you knocked off their mirror ?

any ways now ill address the video that started this

tahlia , sorry but that video really isnt that bad , to me it looks as though you and a bus both met at a section of the road that was narrow with other cars parked on the side of it , the bus driver clearly leaves your bike plenty of room to pass , it wasnt even near being a bar clipper

yes you had to move over just a lil bit , but what did you expect that bus driver to do , slam his foot on the brakes do you have any idea the stopping power of a large bus like that ? i just think you reaction , that is throwing it up on youtube titled inconsiderate bus driver was a little bit far , i hardly think that bus driver was being inconsiderate he was simply doing his job

people sometimes need to remember that some responsibility falls on them when their on the road

think you being a little bit hopeful here , doubt very much that theyd be looking over their shoulder every single time just because some idiot ( the way theyd see you not me) punched their mirror on one occasion , do you stop to tell them why you knocked off their mirror ?

any ways now ill address the video that started this

tahlia , sorry but that video really isnt that bad , to me it looks as though you and a bus both met at a section of the road that was narrow with other cars parked on the side of it , the bus driver clearly leaves your bike plenty of room to pass , it wasnt even near being a bar clipper

yes you had to move over just a lil bit , but what did you expect that bus driver to do , slam his foot on the brakes do you have any idea the stopping power of a large bus like that ? i just think you reaction , that is throwing it up on youtube titled inconsiderate bus driver was a little bit far , i hardly think that bus driver was being inconsiderate he was simply doing his job

people sometimes need to remember that some responsibility falls on them when their on the road

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here, for the reason that the bus driver is the one responsible for giving way here as their lane is blocked and they overtake into the bikes lane instead of waiting to give way as the law (and common courtesy) says they should. This is a pet peeve of mine! I think 'inconsiderate' is appropriate to the situation and not harsh at all.

I agree that it is not a 'serious' incident depicted, and nor is that implied by the title.

:)

Rick

I personally don't sit in people's blind spots, but this gets more difficult on highways in heavy traffic. I'd definitely recommend that people do a proper head check before changing lanes though. Anyone in the riding community who sits in blind spots deliberately will be get strips torn off them if other bikers find out that they do it, most of the bikers I've talked to have been responsible ones.

yes you had to move over just a lil bit

Into the gutter.

but what did you expect that bus driver to do , slam his foot on the brakes do you have any idea the stopping power of a large bus like that ?

I expect them to exercise caution and responsibility in a street that they travel all the time and know is narrow and that cars park in places that make things difficult. This is just around the corner from where I live and other people in the street have had trouble with the buses too. They come through there too fast and more than one person living in this area has had near misses with them because of that. Even though the speed limit for that road is 50km I was doing 40km because of it being narrow and difficult because of where the cars are parked.

My lane was clear, the cars were on his side which he would have seen coming around there. as far as the law goes it was him that should have given way which would have been easier for him to do if he was going slower which common sense would advise given that you can't see all the way into that corner when going around it.

The thing that's easy to forget here is that this all happened within a few seconds, I moved into the gutter because I didn't trust him to stop, and I moved that far over because there was a parked car on the other side of the road.

He was going to have to move in closer to get past it. Had I been driving a car I'll bet he would have been more likely to stop. When this happens you don't have the luxury of analyzing the situation the way you can with a video.

An incident doesn't have to be a near bar clipper to be too close. I also have to point out that this did not happen to you, and that makes it harder for you to judge the situation. Watching the video from the safety of a computer chair is one thing, experiencing it is quite different.

I stand by calling him inconsiderate.

Last edited:
First time I watched the vid I didn't think it looked to bad either....however after some thought and watching it again he is close and you are in the gutter. Not a good spot to be especially on a big cruiser way off line!! At end of day he is on your side of the road if you had been in a car it wouldn't have worked..........
As motorcyclists car, truck and bus drivers are never going to treat is with the same respect!!!
We just have to watch out for them.....
As for punching mirrors off I hav done this once but I think overall it dose more harm then good.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Stop the complaining all of you Bikers and go get a pushie !!!! then you learn the amount of disrespect out there on the roads . Yes a lot of people say that if we want to use the roads and have that respect we should pay rego, Are they the same people that will not pay rego for their 5 or six year olds to ride their bikes because they are learning !! but a learner bike or car has to pay their rego .

A lot of angst against push bikes is because a lot of them don't follow the road rules . that's funny because ALL car and bike users do !!!!!! NOT !! .

Now for the real reason I wanted to whinge.

Every now and then a thread gets started , I make a comment and think this could get funny or interesting ,come back an hour or so latter only to see ( or NOT SEE ) that the thread is GONE !!! :cry:

. I also have to point out that this did not happen to you, and that makes it harder for you to judge the situation. Watching the video from the safety of a computer chair is one thing, experiencing it is quite different.

I stand by calling him inconsiderate.
thats fine , i stand by the fact that i still dont think the incident was really that bad , if you hadn't of moved straight to the side of the road ( indicating to him that you where letting him pass ) maybe his actions would of been a lot different

ill also point out that i too ride bikes im not just some bike hating cage driver

borntobnude - the only problem i have with push bike riders on the roads is when they ride on the white line , putting themselves at risk when their is a bike path ( that is clearly marked as one ) right next to them that they complained about not having for years , then the second they got it they still ride on the damn white line , that i think is just stupidity on their part

thomasssss; borntobnude - the only problem i have with push bike riders on the roads is when they ride on the white line said:
Have you ever had a good look at the amount of rubbish that collects in a bike lane . Yes there are dummies out there but they drive cars and ride bikes as well .

If you are in Sydney thomasssss ,there is a bike path /lane that is on one side only of a major road and has bikes going both ways , so cars and trucks turning left out of a driveway look to the right and pull out -- no one has died yet but a few have been hurt and I have seen many near misses ( Thanks Clover )

First time I watched the vid I didn't think it looked to bad either....however after some thought and watching it again he is close and you are in the gutter. Not a good spot to be especially on a big cruiser way off line!! At end of day he is on your side of the road if you had been in a car it wouldn't have worked..........
As motorcyclists car, truck and bus drivers are never going to treat is with the same respect!!!
We just have to watch out for them.....
As for punching mirrors off I hav done this once but I think overall it dose more harm then good.

He might have thought I moved over there to let him pass but I did it because besides other bikers telling me not to trust anyone on the road I learned it myself almost every time I went out. My arms are too short to be taking off mirrors but I wouldn't want to risk getting myself in trouble over doing that anyway.

A couple of months ago I was riding down a suburban street and a lady was coming down another street wanting to turn onto mine. It looked like she was coming up too fast so I put the brakes on just in case and sure enough she pulled out in front of me, but then she saw me and stopped right in front of me instead of continuing on. I think she was a bit stunned, she just stared at me with a blank look and kept going. I laughed and went on my way.

I've found that truck drivers tend to be better with bikes, but a lot of truck drivers around here also ride bikes so they tend to be more alert.

Have you ever had a good look at the amount of rubbish that collects in a bike lane . Yes there are dummies out there but they drive cars and ride bikes as well .

If you are in Sydney thomasssss ,there is a bike path /lane that is on one side only of a major road and has bikes going both ways , so cars and trucks turning left out of a driveway look to the right and pull out -- no one has died yet but a few have been hurt and I have seen many near misses ( Thanks Clover )
im talking about a stretch between mullaway and woolgoolga , have no problem with the ones that ride on the path just those who ignore it after they had a whinge to council that they didnt have one

I would love to get my motor bike license!! That's one thing my parents would kill me for doing though. I'm 23 next week but they say I don't have a good enough attention span to ride a bike on the road lol.

I would love to get my motor bike license!! That's one thing my parents would kill me for doing though. I'm 23 next week but they say I don't have a good enough attention span to ride a bike on the road lol.

Lol......my ex brother in law has a new woman. She just got her bike p,s and has ordered a brand new ktm. She still hasn't told her olds. She's 37!!!!!!

I have ADD so my attention span isn't always great but I've found that riding actually helps to develop a better attention span. The motivation of course is possible injury or death so it works well. I got my bike learners when I was 22, to start with my Mother was dead against it. These days she's the first to admit that she's never seen me happier and that I have more confidence in everyday life. Sometimes if I'm stressed or it's a nice day she tells me to go for a ride.

My parents hate me riding... When I got my L's the first thing they asked me was how much life insurance I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back