Frog ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

icedmice

Not so new Member
Reaction score
frog1.jpg

Campbelltown region, approximately 3-4 cm's in length (nose to bottom), call not confirmed. Seems common, multiple sightings.

I doubt it's a common froglet as it was advised in here that a very different and much smaller frog was the common froglet in the same area.

He's a cool looking dude. What do you think this bloke is?

Brown tree frog maybe?

Lesueur's Frog (Litoria lesueurii)
Identifying features are the distinctive dark streak that runs from the tip of the snout, then broadens and continues over the ear and finishes above the shoulder region.
Was the groin mottled black and blue?

Don't rule out Litoria wilcoxii. I base this soley on that the bar mentioned above extends past the shoulder, something that I seen that often with this species (though not in your area). I should add that being below Sydney it is more likely to be lesueri. Details on the groin (as asked above) would help.

Last edited:
It's a common species that is not readily identifiable from each other unless in the hand. I can tell its a female creek frog. It's either leseuerii or wilcoxii. Distribution and thigh colour can help tell these appart. Hopefully Aaron Payne might chip in with his opinion.
cheers

I agree that the two species Litoria leseuerii and L.wilcoxii are very similar and not easy to tell apart from a photo. In fact, they were only fairly recently taxonomically separated.
The best way that I know of to distinguish between the two species is the groin patterns, which is black and blue in L. leseuerii and black and yellow in L.wilcoxii . Unfortunately we can't see the groin in the pic provided, so unless more pics or information from the OP are forthcoming, then we can't use this distinguishing feature.

Klaery, like you I used distribution to go with L. leseuerii, as the range limit for both species is usually given as the Hawkesbury River. However, one source mentions the Nepean River, so there may not be much in it. I'll check for any reliable records below Sydney.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the paper separating the two species that they wouldn't mind sending me?

- - - Updated - - -

I've since found reliable records of sightings and calls from below the Hawkesbury River. One observation is from the Georges River near Long Point and several down at Dharawal SCA on Stokes Creek. So the range limit or cut off point of the Hawkesbury River given in some references for these species is apparently incorrect. Therefore this specimen could indeed be either Litoria leseuerii or L.wilcoxii.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back