New Camera!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberbubula

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Okay, so yesterday I impulse decided to spoil myself with my first DSLR camera :D
I bought it home and typically could not put it down. After browsing some photography forums I decided I would avoid the auto setting and go straight into the manual world of camera settings :shock: (not as easy as they make it look in the movies)
Obviously I still have a lot to learn and lots of practice to do.
Sooo, here are the results of my first afternoon of attempts to photograph my reptilian pets :D

Woma Python - bred my Slateman
Yfbe8Oel.jpg

oWUQ5YDl.jpg

A weed I decided to focus on when the woma ignored me :)
PAvwr40l.jpg

Albino Darwin Python - bred by Mungus
CRH57Tgl.jpg

poTV2gPl.jpg

Intergrade Python
Lv9CrBhl.jpg

Spotted Python
2AAUsVRl.jpg

Black Headed Monitor
Tcp95Pml.jpg

Broad Banded Sandswimmers Pair
hIAQJzxl.jpg

Male
iBiEp1yl.jpg

Female
dWkKQkGl.jpg

Narrow Banded Sand swimmer (he was only out of the sand of about 5 seconds so I only got a bum picture :()
vXJcMkHl.jpg

We are going camping this weekend so I will hopefully get some practice with wild reptiles :D

Some of those pictures seemed a bit blurry.
What camera did you get?
As a noob I'd suggest using auto aperture or auto speed. With auto aperture you set the aperture and the camera will select the correct speed to go with it. Take note of the speed it used and you will gain an idea of speeds to use with such apertures in similar conditions.
Same with auto speed. It will set the aperture to match. It can be a handy way to get your head around manual settings rather than diving straight in the deep end.
I still often use auto focus. Unless its an image that is a bit tricky and I'll switch to manual.

Though the quality has been reduced for quick upload. These are shots I took of a common scaly foot, using the aperture setting and auto focus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, they are nice :)

Yeah, for some reason all the pictures I took had lots of blur in the background, but I think that is because of one of the dials I was playing with.

The camera is a Canon eos 1100D / Rebel T3. The lense I have is 18-55. It rated pretty good as a newbie camera :)

Needless to say I have a LOT of learning to do, and thank you for the tips. I'll be having a play with those settings after work.

Wow, they are nice :)

Yeah, for some reason all the pictures I took had lots of blur in the background, but I think that is because of one of the dials I was playing with.

The camera is a Canon eos 1100D / Rebel T3. The lense I have is 18-55. It rated pretty good as a newbie camera :)

Needless to say I have a LOT of learning to do, and thank you for the tips. I'll be having a play with those settings after work.

f8 or f11 on aperture priority will take care of the blur in the background.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve and the framing/placement a blured background - "bokeh" will actually aid in subject isolation and separation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back