Python eggs shrinking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apprenticegnome

Reaction score
I need help with my blackhead python eggs. They were laid 6 days ago but are gradually shrinking. Colour has remained a good solid white so I assumed they were all good. Humidity tested around 91% the first day but has dropped to 86% there after. I have added some extra water bowls to hopefully help with humidity. The eggs are being incubated over water if that makes any difference. The first 3 photos were taken the 1st or 2nd day, the last 2 photos were taken today to show the difference. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7362.jpg
    IMG_7362.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7363.jpg
    IMG_7363.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_7364.jpg
    IMG_7364.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7371.jpg
    IMG_7371.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7372.jpg
    IMG_7372.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 175
Are they over water? Looks like the're too dry. They're definitely in trouble if you can't increase the humidity and bring them back to a more plump appearance, especially after only 6 days.

Jamie

Ide be putting wet substrate of some type or water on the whole of the bottom of the container and then not opening thus letting out humidity.
With my aspidites eggs although they are done with completely dry substrate initially the moisture goes from the eggs into the subsrate and achieves a balance in substrate and humidity.
Can be noticed in the morning whatever method is being used theres usually some condensation, important not to open much if it all in the first month or so.

Bottom of incubator has 4 x 2mm holes in it. Would siliconing holes cause a problem with eggs?(worried about fumes absorbing into eggs). If I can block them I can saturate base.

You can't silicon the base with eggs in there mate the fumes will kill them if theres anything left to kill. Just get a whole new tub fill with 20mm water and use a glass lid. No holes.
keep it at 30-31 degrees.

my friend used a bird incubator and the same thing happened pop the eggs in an incubation tub inside the incubator and it will be much better.

i use vermiculite with 80%water to we ight ratio with perlite on top . never l had an issue .

I am having exactly the same problem with stimsons eggs. They are in a sealed tub suspended over water, is saying 91% humidity and temps between 30.5-31.3. But they are looking very sunken!

- - - Updated - - -

Would a heat source from below tub provide better humidity than heating from above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back