Kale- to feed or not to feed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sezzle1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. So kale is on special at the supermarket this week. I know it's supposed to be a super food for humans, but can I feed it to my blue tongue? Would be a good alternative to silverbeet and bok choy if it's safe for him to eat...

Hi all. So kale is on special at the supermarket this week. I know it's supposed to be a super food for humans, but can I feed it to my blue tongue? Would be a good alternative to silverbeet and bok choy if it's safe for him to eat...
Is price really a consideration when buying greens for a bluetounge? I thought you would be talking cents per week. Kale isjust a member of the cabbage family i think. I am not sure about the wisdom in assuming nutritional benefits of foods to humans, will have the same effect with reptiles.

I would use my chefing theory on this one , would you eat it , if yes ,go for it . I believe they call it a super food because it tastes like rubbish, smells ugly so lets call it special and the fools will eat it (quinoa) prime example. :lol:

I use kale in my salad mix for my EWD & Bearded Dragon. They love it & I know a lot of other dragon keepers highly rate it as well...

I am a HUGE fan of kale with regards to feeding blue tongues and bobtails. After much research on what to feed my lizards, Kale came in as a number 1 choice. Mixed with grated squash, butternut pumpkin and mango - you have an ultra healthy meal for a bluey. I also add lean chicken mince (cooked) for protein.
Endive is another green that is excellent for them....

Last edited:
Kale is always highly recommended for beardies, but our three generally leave most of it in their bowls when I have given it to them. Can't see why it wouldn't be fine for blueys as well, just be prepared if he doesn't eat it.

Kale is always highly recommended for beardies, but our three generally leave most of it in their bowls when I have given it to them. Can't see why it wouldn't be fine for blueys as well, just be prepared if he doesn't eat it.

I agree with you there! Mine don't eat it on its own. So I chop it up finely in one of those vegie choppers you belt with your fist. All the vegies and green leaves smoosh together and when mixed with the meat, they just can't get enough of it :)
Its like having a child, you need to hide the vegies for them some times to get them to eat it ;)
..this is JubJub. he HATES kale. But I have mashed it in with meat as you can see here, and he scoffs it all down...
IMG_4415 (2).jpg

I agree with you there! Mine don't eat it on its own. So I chop it up finely in one of those vegie choppers you belt with your fist. All the vegies and green leaves smoosh together and when mixed with the meat, they just can't get enough of it :)
Its like having a child, you need to hide the vegies for them some times to get them to eat it ;)
..this is JubJub. he HATES kale. But I have mashed it in with meat as you can see here, and he scoffs it all down...
View attachment 301271

The only problem there is beardies don't eat meat. :)
But I might try it one more time, in a chopper and mix it all up.

But I might try it one more time, in a chopper and mix it all up.

Yeah I meant that more for the blue tongues. I don't know much about the Dragons from over east. I live in WA and have the little Minor minors, they don't eat greens - just crix and woodies etc.

Kale is actually recommended as an occasional feed

for Blue tongues and bobtails, it is recommended as a staple diet food. Its a member of the "Collard" family. And Collards are filled with the most amount of calcium and nutrients. One better than Kale is "Endive". Endive is a little harder to get, but nutrition wide, Kale is just as good.

Last edited:
I feed my iguana collard greens and carrot tops for its leafy greens. I would stay away from lettuce as its barley more nutritious then the cardboard box it was shipped in. As was stated above dandelion flowers are a great treat for most reptiles that are herbavores. It Has the perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio of 2:1. This goes without saying dont feed your reptiles dandelions that you are not sure if fertilizers or weed killer has been used on or around them.

Hello??? I don't know where you got that from my friend but I've been looking at the content of wild snake and lizards scats for years and I can assure you they are actually scavengers in their natural state. As well as favouring specific flowers, nettles, insects and spiders they will eat pretty much everything they come across they consider edible including small snakes and lizards, they'll even take small rodents.

The staple diet for all my lizards (including, different species of beardeds, water dragons, large and small skinks and even monitors) for the past 30 odd years has been canned puppy food and I've had animals live, breed and maintain excellent health well into their late teens to early twenties depending on the species. I think you'll find that despite what you might be led to believe it's also the staple diet for most lizards in Australian fauna parks and zoos.

I mix broccoli, soft peas and grated carrot every three or four meals but they will gladly munch down on straight canned puppy food. They also love their little treats of hoppy mice every other week.

Cheers,

George.

Calcium to Phosphorus (Ca:p)ratio is the important thing to consider when choosing greens for feeding.
Phosphorus will bind with calcium reducing its usefulness.

Last edited:
for Blue tongues and bobtails, it is recommended as a staple diet food. Its a member of the "Collard" family. And Collards are filled with the most amount of calcium and nutrients. One better than Kale is "Endive". Endive is a little harder to get, but nutrition wide, Kale is just as good.

align="CENTER" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" style="width: 600px"
|-
| align="CENTER" | Kale
| align="CENTER" |
Kale.jpg

| align="CENTER" | High in oxalates and goitrogens, so it should only be fed on occassion. Best when cut into larger pieces or strips. Finely chop, shred, or discard stems. Store cut, dried pieces in plastic storage bag with other greens wrapped in paper towels. Squeeze air out of bag.
Ca:p 2.4:1, Pro: 3.3%, Fat: 0.7%, Water: 84%, Fiber: 2%
OCCASIONAL

|-

- - - Updated - - -

Hello??? I don't know where you got that from my friend but I've been looking at the content of wild snake and lizards scats for years and I can assure you they are actually scavengers in their natural state. As well as favouring specific flowers, nettles, insects and spiders they will eat pretty much everything they come across they consider edible including small snakes and lizards, they'll even take small rodents.

The staple diet for all my lizards (including, different species of beardeds, water dragons, large and small skinks and even monitors) for the past 30 odd years has been canned puppy food and I've had animals live, breed and maintain excellent health well into their late teens to early twenties depending on the species. I think you'll find that despite what you might be led to believe it's also the staple diet for most lizards in Australian fauna parks and zoos.

I mix broccoli, soft peas and grated carrot every three or four meals but they will gladly munch down on straight canned puppy food. They also love their little treats of hoppy mice every other week.

Cheers,

George.

Sorry, that sounds like a pretty bad diet to me, early twenties is still a young death for a water dragon.

George,
I should qualify my statement about beardies not eating meat. Pinkies are ok as an occasional treat, so yes, other kinds of meat are probably alright as well. However, I don't think it is always safe to compare what reptiles do in the wild with what they do in captivity. We as keepers do the best we can to look after them, to ensure they long and healthy lives. I am not disputing what you have fed your reptiles successfully, as I kept a beardie for 13 years, fed predominantly on iceberg lettuce and crickets (this was way before the information now readily available). However, all the available info currently says fatty meat should be kept to a minimum for beardies.
And all of the above is my opinion only, and intended without sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back