Do not buy this product!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shay-Nik

Reaction score
We bought this thermostat nearly 3 months ago and constantly had to change the bolb because it kept blowing and we couldn't figure out what was going on, I don't think this product even has a name but its a dimmable thermostat and even has an alarm that goes off if the temperature dropped to low or to high. I have attached a photo if you can't see the photo I will post it again. I would advise you not to waist your money on this product and if you do have it then watch it carefully. Thankfully it didn't start a fire. The plastic on the power pack has actually melted and it smells bad.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385813394346.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385813394346.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 289
I think it was off ebay, my sister bought them cause at the time we thought they were decent, I know they were definitely bought online

If you were using a light bulb on a dimmable thermostat that may be part of the issue, the are not designed for lights. I'm not saying yours wasn't faulty but I use 2 of those and my ceramic heat globe is now 2 years old and never been replaced while my microclimate had been through a few before it broke.

We had the same problem on another thermostat thats the same. It blew just over 10 heat bulbs, I don't put just normal bulbs, at first we thought it was the globe thinking it was faulty but now we know and replaced the thermostat now its working fine

Sorry I got my dimming and switching thermostats the wrong way around, that should have been fine. I don't use heat bulbs that emit light with mine just ceramic and a heat cord on another one and so far so good. Ones been going
for two years and the other
one for a year.

After seeing other threads about these they seem to be liked (Other than the bad instructions they come with that is.). Pet stores sell the same model with a different brand on it for $160-$180 so I assume the brands that stuck their name on it would have tested them first. You might have just been unlucky.

Last edited:
Infrared Spot globe, Oz Purple night globe, an a few normal dimmable heat globes from bunnings

We are gonna look into getting a ceramic heat emitter we have never used them so hopefully we won't have problems. I got a heat cord in one of my enclosures and my snake loves it, its always at a perfect temp on a hot and cold day. We will definitely get better thermostats from now on :p

I just don't use a thermostat :p
After having thermos fail (from el cheapies through to a fancypants expensive one), on most of my enclosures I run either lights or a heat cord on a timer. They're set up in such a way that even if the timer failed, the globe/cord could run all day and night without burning whatever reptile is inside the tank. That way I don't have to worry about thermos failing. I check temperatures often, and just replace a globe with the same one (same brand, same wattage etc) when it dies so I know the setup still works as intended.

I just don't use a thermostat :p
After having thermos fail (from el cheapies through to a fancypants expensive one), on most of my enclosures I run either lights or a heat cord on a timer. They're set up in such a way that even if the timer failed, the globe/cord could run all day and night without burning whatever reptile is inside the tank. That way I don't have to worry about thermos failing. I check temperatures often, and just replace a globe with the same one (same brand, same wattage etc) when it dies so I know the setup still works as intended.

Same here, all my tanks run heatmats flat out, no thermostats with the exception of GTP tanks which run very low wattage CHEs on a habistat pulse thermo - in the event the thermostat failed on (I don't think habistats do) the temperature will be less than ideal at the top perch but easily escapable at the bottom.

I'm usually wary to recommend this though as some people just don't understand how to do it properly, right wattage/placement ect.

Well we use to run a habistat between 2 enclosures but one would always have less heat then the other, and it was always the one that needed more heat, so we started using the ones that I said not to use and they ended up playing up since the day we started using them, I put a heat tile in one enclosure cause the snake never sat up wear the heat light is so I wasn't to worried I found the thermostat very reliable, its a thermostat from reptiles direct but we bought it online of course. The snake loves it but now he comes out and sits up where the heat light was. At the moment we still have one enclosure running on a thermostat thay is likely to mess up like the other ones will but it doesn't seem to be having any problems s:

Last edited:
I have been having trouble with the same thermostat Shay, mine just doesn't dim, hence why I only have a 50w halogen spotlight fitted. Gets the right temps, so I am going to remove the thermo altogether today. Now in saying that, we have had no trouble with the suppliers $20 switching thermostat. I am unsure if the dimming thermostats "Jet-005" are entirely at fault here, as even without a thermostat hooked up, the dome bulb fittings blew bulbs.

We'll be changing to heat cord routed into a shelf with a tile on top, as we didn't have an issue with that method under their click clacks with tiles instead. I'll be looking into getting microclimates or habistats, haven't heard many bad things about them. With the amount of money wasted in bulbs we could have changed the thermostats on each of the three enclosures. :|

How was the dome making the bulbs blow? Each time they blew it was always running on the thermostat

I have had two bulbs blow as soon as I hooked them up to Caine's light dome, no thermostat on because I wanted to see if the bulb was a dud or not. Even in Gizmo's enclosure I have had bulbs blow as soon as I put them in. It's possible the bulbs were in fact duds, but I always seem to be buying the dodgy ones if that is the case. At $5-$25 a bulb, I'm not going to continue forking out with my terrible bulb luck.

That blue 80w bulb I bought and then tested on Jancsi's light dome (it was plugged into the wall away from his enclosure at the time) also blew moments after I turned it on, again no thermo because you only had the switching thermostat. But yes, every other bulb that has blown was hooked into the dimming thermostat.

Its possible it could be the domes we habe hooked up to Link's amd Jancsi's enclosure cause you have different brand globe?

It is possible. I gave up using the infrared bulbs after the third one blew. Our domes are the same brand though, aren't they? Fairly certain you two have the smaller Zoo-Med domes while I have the large one. Gizmo has an entirely different brand dome, it is an Exo Terra.

I'll have a look at what brands they all are

Are you screwing the bulbs into the sockets with your bare hands?

Always screw them in with bare hands, its not that. It was the thermostat that was blowing all the bulbs.

Always screw them in with bare hands, its not that. It was the thermostat that was blowing all the bulbs.

The oils from your skin can blow the bulbs too, just for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back