New additions to the family

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James_Scott

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to show off the new additions to my ever growing family.
A small colony of whites skinks.
The enclosure is still not finished as I still need to add some native coastal plants I have ordered and raise the light to allow the additional UV basking light this afternoon.
I welcome any comments. The enclosure is 120cmx45cmx 60cm

The herp room is slowly converting to natural style vivaria. I have two sides of the room with natural and 1 side with traditional stacked enclosures and racks. Im changing my collection over to smaller species that I can keep with live pants.

You'll have to excuse the top tank. I hace the access panel off on the left side so I can access the water heater. Havent put the panel back on yet.

Awesome... I love the natural looking enclosures... Fantastic... I also appreciate the contrast between rainforest, bush land & dessert themes...

Nice cages and love the skinks.

Stunning enclosures, is there anything in the bottom left enclosure?

If I may ask, why golden tails? Their habitat is primarily subtropical to semi-arid dry woodlands whilst that enclosure appears to have a more moist, wet forest environment. I would of considered it to be better to choose a species from a more similar environment. There would surely be better species to choose for such an enclosure. Either way, really nice setups.

I figured it has everything a golden tailed gecko requires. Subtle heat, UV lights and plenty of plant material to climb on and bask. They tend to drink from water droplets when sprayed so given the plants in this enclosure can handle watering everyday they could more than handle the any waste the geckos put out. Being an exoterra with the wire top the humidity is easy to control.
I gave it a lot of thought but if another species is more suited then im happy to take it on board. I dont need much of a push to start a new project!

All good. For future inspiration I'd reckon you should take a look at Egernia or smaller dragon species. Both are well suited to desert or rock escarpment environments and seeing you've already done a grassland, riverine and forested style enclosures it would fit to having something a little more arid in the mix.

I dont know why but I have never had an interest in dragons. Ive kept skinks, monitors, pythons, colubrids, frogs and geckos and have decided I would like to keep as many skinks as I can get. Easier said than done though. Not many people keep them.
Im currently setting up a tank for water skinks so it will be ready next year.

You will find that there are a couple skink keepers out there that really do have quite a selection. If you're not already in touch with Jeff over at Herp Heaven, you should be. I've spoke to him a couple of times and he's got some nice things. Send me a pm if you need his number, great bloke, really passionate about keeping skinks and if hes got anything you're interested in he should sort you out.

Nice cages and love the skinks.

You will find that there are a couple skink keepers out there that really do have quite a selection. If you're not already in touch with Jeff over at Herp Heaven, you should be. I've spoke to him a couple of times and he's got some nice things. Send me a pm if you need his number, great bloke, really passionate about keeping skinks and if hes got anything you're interested in he should sort you out.

Thanks for the information. I have been in contact with Jeff and have a number of species on order.
He is a great guy and has a dream collection of skinks amoungst other species.

Well keep us updated with enclosures and new additions if you can, you should be getting some really nice critters from Jeff.

Good stuff. I think this looks great.
Planting out an enclosure like this with native coastal plants is commendable.
Have you planted them directly into a soil/sand substrate or are they in concealed pots?
If it's the former just be careful not to over-water, as it can cause harmful pathogens to proliferate. I recommend using water crystals to reduce watering needs.

The plants are planted directly into the substrate. For plants that like free draining soil they are in the sand and others that require moisture or part shade are in in sphagnum moss and soil.
Skinks are prone to dehydration so a daily spray with water is good for both plants and skinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back