Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Yes, it easily could be a jag sib.

Like I said before, if it has came from a reputable breeder who also has a pet shop, I'm sure the guy has nothing to gain by lying.
I also agree that it doesn't look like a standard coastal, but I have seen many jag sibs that look similar.
i just noticed your in scottland , down here in australia there are plenty of people lying about what snakes are due to the jag gene and current regulations

i will also note that just because the jag gene supposedly originally comes from a coastal does not mean that jags here are anything near being pure coastals , so im a little confused as to why you would think that it could be a jag sib yet you dont think its a cross , as down here in australia there pretty much all crossed up now days

Why not just be stoked anyway? If you're not planning to breed it just enjoy the fact that it's a stunner.

Im very happy with it indeed. Dont think i could have done much better for AUD $150. Awesome colour. I will probably speak to the breeder on wednesday and ill post what he says to see what u guys think.

i just noticed your in scottland , down here in australia there are plenty of people lying about what snakes are due to the jag gene and current regulations

i will also note that just because the jag gene supposedly originally comes from a coastal does not mean that jags here are anything near being pure coastals , so im a little confused as to why you would think that it could be a jag sib yet you dont think its a cross , as down here in australia there pretty much all crossed up now days

Hi mate, I never said I didn't think it was a cross, it could be a complete mutt (a very nice one) as far as we know. My point I was trying to make was why would a reputable breeder lie about his animals? Things must be a bit different in Australia because a breeder worth his salt here has no reason to do so.

A true jag sib is not a cross but like you say, many are these days. Here in the UK even breeders that have known true heritage produce animals that would make you wonder.

At the end of the day, according to Nick Mutton and Justin Julander, there is no genetic difference between coastals and jungles anyway, just local adaptations.

So to the OP, whatever you decide to label your snake, you have a very nice carpet python regardless.

"A true jag sib is not a cross"... Danny there is no such thing as a TRUE sib...and they r very much a cross..... And this thread is not a debate about jags etc... I stated it might be a Sib but only because imo it's not pure jungle and really don't look coastal... All the same as u would be fully aware in the UK... A lot of carpets unless from reputable breeders can be called " mixers"... None the less there r some fantastic snakes being produced.... I take my hat off to the pure breeders but it's the way of the world that new crosses r bring produced like it or not

From my understanding a jag is natural mutation of the coastal. Therefore, if you cross a jag with a normal looking coastal, you will get jags and jag sibs.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

From my understanding a jag is natural mutation of the coastal. Therefore, if you cross a jag with a normal looking coastal, you will get jags and jag sibs.

Am I wrong in thinking this?
Not at all... The thread is about a jungle looking snake named a coastal .... Find me a pure coastal jag in the UK and I'll find one here... Can I prove it is??... Nope nor will anyone else..... Off topic how's that bub Bredli of yours going?

Hahaha yep, threads do have a tendency to deviate. I do, however, think I could get you a pure coastal jag from UK Pythons. He has a reputation second to none!

Anyway.......
....the new bredli is coming on a treat. She definitely is the looker between her and the male. Although the male is by far the best snake I have ever kept. It amazes me just how chilled out he is! He doesn't want to get away like my others do, he is happy just chilling with me. I hope the female grows up like him, that would make me very happy.

Hey Serpentaria, do u have a pic that u can post?
My Coastal is a yellow phase just so you know, she was hatched a hypo and was red phase then turned to a yellow phase. The snake mentioned here may have turned yellow like mine in a similar manner. I have another Coastal who was very yellow cream and solid black when I got her, but is fading out to an ivory white.

If you look on page number 8 of the jungle thread someone posted some pics of a wild coastal they found on the sunshine coast that they thought was a jungle, the pics are small but it looks a bit like your snake.

It could just be a yellow one and everyone is being paranoid, I guess this is the consequences of having jags and hybrids in the hobby. Sad thing to see from my point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back