Do you eat Meat or Dairy - if so why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you eat Meat &/or Dairy

• Habit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tradition

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Convenience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • 'Health'

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Other - please list any other reasons

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you could do just one thing to improve your overall wellbeing it would be to cut sugar from your diet as much as possible.Also try to limit the amount of processed food you eat.Apart from that everything in moderation seems fine to me.

Its funny you say that, all the vegans, vegetarian & pescetarians i know try to convert me and preach to me how bad meat is and how its cruel etc etc! I find them worse than the bible bashers who ram it down your throat!
Agreed. The above YouTube clips are a classic example of them preaching and trying to force others to live like them. Why can't people just let others do as they wish. No need to get on a high horse and try and make people eat how you do. No need to make people believe the things you do. Just be and lets others be :)

CSIRO have the best cookbooks! Healthy delicious food.

Healthy = balanced and in moderation.

Humans are omnivores.

I like meat, meat is cheaper and tastier than alternatives, we are designed to eat some meat as a species etc etc.

I did it for a week when I was 16 because my missus at the time was a vegetarian but then I fancied a pasty so gave up.

My little sister was vegetarian for about 4 years just because she didn't like the taste of meat

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

The best diet i reckon which ive been doing for 3 year is the Paleo or cave man diet!
Meat, fish, eggs, fruit, veg, honey! so pretty much any thing natural! No dairy, grains, legumes, processed food, soft drink etc!

The reason I put health in inverted commas is because eating meat is far from a healthy choice but whenever people ask me about being vegetarian their first question is about my health & Protein & Iron intake etc, some people think meat is needed to be healthy when it couldnt be further from the truth.

Ha ha very funny Mark :p
Yes Damian also follows the same diet & says he will never look back.

Some of the benefits include:

Having alot more energy & not feeling tired for no reason.
Not feeling like needing a nap especially after eating - Now after a meal I feel great & full of energy.

Clearer head & Better moods

Reduced inflammation.

No more stomach upsets

They are the main things I have noticed.

Gecko, I don't know about others but I eat lots of meat and don't suffer from any of that, so I hope you're only speaking individually on that one.

Also I know that hunting/fishing ect is a complete different subject and isn't directly tied to eating meat, but I enjoy these activities same as many others do, and when you can eat what you catch it makes it even better.

You have to realise that in the history of man. There has never been a vegan society. We have evolved as hunters and gatherers. That means we are omnivores.
Good luck feeding your pythons and geckos on fruit, veg and grains. You can't change they way animals have evolved and that includes humans.
Meat is healthy as shown by CSIRO. It should be taken in moderation as with all natural foods.

Agreed. The above YouTube clips are a classic example of them preaching and trying to force others to live like them. Why can't people just let others do as they wish. No need to get on a high horse and try and make people eat how you do. No need to make people believe the things you do. Just be and lets others be :)

If people understand the health problems & still want to eat meat because it tastes good then that is obviously up to them, I am not trying to 'force' it onto anyone.
I am just trying to understand what peoples motivation for eating it is & also trying to educate anyone that is interested & may not know the heath problems associated with eating it.

CSIRO have the best cookbooks! Healthy delicious food.

Healthy = balanced and in moderation.

Humans are omnivores.
I was also educated to think the same thing, I have always believed we are Omnivores too.
But why? what makes us Omnivores? because we choose to eat meat or because we are suppose to eat it?
Our bodies are not designed like any other omnivores on this planet.

If you could do just one thing to improve your overall wellbeing it would be to cut sugar from your diet as much as possible.Also try to limit the amount of processed food you eat.Apart from that everything in moderation seems fine to me.
Couldnt agree more about sugar & processed foods they are huge culprits & should be avoided as much as possible.

Red meat played a hugely important part in human evolution, without it we would not exist as we do. As a result of this, the human body has evolved to digest meat. Our digestive track simply is not herbivorous. Which is why I eat red meat. Having said that, not all red meat is created equal. Mass produced, grain fed, intensively farmed meat animals lack a lot of trace nutrients and minerals that are integral to our health. Red meat is also rich in important nutrients like Creatine and Carnosine. Non-meat eaters are often deficient in these nutrients, which can have negative effects on various aspects of health, including muscle and brain function. The effects of red meat on human health have been intensely studied, it is crucial to distinguish between processed and unprocessed meat, because the two can have vastly different effects (EPIC did a very large observational study that includes 448,568 individuals). I noticed a change in my health once I switched from intensively farmed red meat to wild meat or at the very least organic grass fed meat. The greatest health issues caused by the consumption of red meat stem greatly from how it is cooked (frying, grilling, char grilling can cause the formation of harmful compounds) and almost all health issues stem from this.

In support of this, traditional populations like the Inuit and Masai have eaten lots of meat (all wild game), much more than the average Westerner, but remain in excellent health and have so for countless generations. Red meat (as a food stuff) simple does not cause any health issues and there is no scientific evidence that would suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
If people understand the health problems & still want to eat meat because it tastes good then that is obviously up to them, I am not trying to 'force' it onto anyone.
I am just trying to understand what peoples motivation for eating it is & also trying to educate anyone that is interested & may not know the heath problems associated with eating it.

There are NO health problems. How do you explain my grandmother who lives on her own and functions very well at 101 years old. She eats meat everyday. Her husband my grandfather also a meat eater died at 96 also very healthy, but had aspestosis.
I eat meat and have no health issues.
Show me evidence of one human culture that thrived without meat? You obviously do not believe in evolution. Because man has evolved eating meat. That is a fact.

I stopped eating meat when I found out it was the actual animal, I think I was about 6-7 at the time. I stopped eating eggs quite awhile ago, and I'm still working on the dairy. I don't drink/use milk when I have the option, though I'm having trouble finding an alternative(soy milk make me feel sick, especially in coffee:shock:) and I don't eat a lot of cheese like chunks of it, but I still feel the need to add it to things(pasta, pizza) but I try to avoid it. I haven't had any yoghurt for awhile either. But there is one dairy containing product I could never give up-ICE CREAM and cheese cake...

vegan guys? What do you do when it comes to eggs and milk that you can't really avoid like bread and stuff? Maybe ad cake to that aswell:lol:

If theres anything I miss it twiggy stick!!!

Last edited:
Why dont people eat eggs? its a by product that will just be wasted if we didnt use them!
Obviously caged hens etc are a no no! But free ranged or even better the eggs you get from your own chickens at home are amazing!

Gecko can i vote for all of the above? And to answer the question I have considered going vegetarian, ( not vegan because I love cheese) but I'm not sure I ever could.

Habit and convenience- I really enjoy preparing and cooking meat. Steak and salad is my equivelant of fast food. Quick and easy to cook (And only have a pan and a couple of plates to clean up which is a bonus). I'm not all that mouch of a sweet tooth so sometimes have friut and cheese and crackers for dessert.

Tradition- My Dad is a scotman's so having a big cooked breakfast without black pudding, bacon, eggs and sausages would just seem plain wrong. Not having lamb on Australia day and prawns and seafood on christmas day would seem really strange to me.

Taste- Taste would be a fairly big factor. Lamb is my favourite and I have some sort of seafood once or twice a week. I absolutely love cheese as well. I'm not sure about sauces making meat taste good as I don't tend to put sauce on my meat. Steak tastes best to me when it is just seasoned and oiled. And lamb with some fresh herbs.

Health- Silverbeet and beef are good ways to boost iron. I don't eat meat with every meal but it does have benefits in moderation.

Recent studies have show that meat consumption causes less animal cruelty than the alternative equivalent of grain production. Crop rotation, burning off, water diversion, deforestationand other processes used in grain production do more damage and damage more animals/ecosystems than the admittedly immoral practices meat industries. If we replied totally on grain production for food we would require far more of the space to appropiated for food production.
Admittedly animal cruelty in modern meat practice is poor and should be improved. But the vegetarian alternative is no better.

Some inconsistencies here Gecko. You say: "I am not starting this thread to sling off or point the finger at people that do infact eat meat" and "I am not trying to judge you, I am trying to understand you!"
But then this: " The more I look into it the more I learn how bad both meat & dairy is for our health & for me the cruelty that is involved is difficult to overlook." and "have you ever considered changing your diet"

Surely you can see how this comes accross as sounding superior and judgmental?

There are NO health problems. How do you explain my grandmother who lives on her own and functions very well at 101 years old. She eats meat everyday. Her husband my grandfather also a meat eater died at 96 also very healthy, but had aspestosis.
I eat meat and have no health issues.
Show me evidence of one human culture that thrived without meat? You obviously do not believe in evolution. Because man has evolved eating meat. That is a fact.

That is a huge statement to make & is completely inaccurate.
What do you mean there are no health problems?
What about the leading causes of deaths these days?
Things like cancer & heart disease?
I am not saying meat & dairy are the sole cause of these diseases but they certainly make their fair contribution.
& I didnt say all ppl that consume animal products die young or wont reach a certain age.

I stopped eating meat when I found out it was the actual animal, I think I was about 6-7 at the time. I stopped eating eggs quite awhile ago, and I'm still working on the dairy. I don't drink/use milk when I have the option, though I'm having trouble finding an alternative(soy milk make me feel sick, especially in coffee:shock:) and I don't eat a lot of cheese like chunks of it, but I still feel the need to add it to things(pasta, pizza) but I try to avoid it. I haven't had any yoghurt for awhile either. But there is one dairy containing product I could never give up-ICE CREAM and cheese cake...

vegan guys? What do you do when it comes to eggs and milk that you can't really avoid like bread and stuff? Maybe ad cake to that aswell:lol:

If theres anything I miss it twiggy stick!!!

The Vegan side of things is all still new to me Princessparrot but I would definitely recommend checking out this website:
adaptt.org

I cant stand soymilk either, I have found almond milk is not too bad in smoothies etc but tastes like rubbish on cereal & in tea etc.
Have you tried Coconut milk? it is delicious! & much nicer than normal milk or the alternatives.
I certainly recommend it!

Recent studies have show that meat consumption causes less animal cruelty than the alternative equivalent of grain production. Crop rotation, burning off, water diversion, deforestationand other processes used in grain production do more damage and damage more animals/ecosystems than the admittedly immoral practices meat industries. If we replied totally on grain production for food we would require far more of the space to appropiated for food production.
Admittedly animal cruelty in modern meat practice is poor and should be improved. But the vegetarian alternative is no better.

Do you have links for these studies? I am interested but very skeptical.

Whilst those links have no actually recognised studies. The CSIRO is a recognised organisation.

Lean meat - consumption and production
Lean red meat is not only a good source of protein and energy, but also has benefits in avoiding heart disease.

The facts on eating red meat | CSIRO
I am curious which ones you have watched?
There are plenty of studies available.
& there are many sources of protein and energy that are not detrimental to your health.

You have to realise that in the history of man. There has never been a vegan society. We have evolved as hunters and gatherers. That means we are omnivores.
Good luck feeding your pythons and geckos on fruit, veg and grains. You can't change they way animals have evolved and that includes humans.
Meat is healthy as shown by CSIRO. It should be taken in moderation as with all natural foods.

The fact we have done it for so long doesnt make it any better for us.
Times are changing & more people are becoming aware.

I didnt say that I was going to try to convert my reptiles or other pets to an unnatural diet,
They are Omnivores & Carnivores - obviously I will feed my pets what ever is required of their diet for them to be healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back