Do you eat Meat or Dairy - if so why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you eat Meat &/or Dairy

• Habit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tradition

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Convenience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • 'Health'

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Other - please list any other reasons

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that escalated quickly. Back on topic... I'm slowly changing my lifestyle to paleo. After much research into it, I believe it to make the most sense out of all the stupid eating lifestyles out there. Eating only meat, fish, poultry, nuts and seeds, fruit and veg (might of missed one or two things) would be the healthiest lifestyle. Cutting out all processed foods is the key to being healthy. Cutting out sugar is also the best thing we can do. Gluten is bad for you, get rid of that to. Dairy? Don't need it.. The truth is, there is so much rubbish information out there that who really knows what's best. It all really comes down to what we believe is best. I personally believe the paleo is best. Argue with me all you want but that's my beliefs. Meat all the way!! (non grain fed)

Stopped drinking milk a year ago, now happy with Almond milk (Aldi!).
Love meat, mainly beef, sometimes pork. Try to eat it only on weekends, mainly salads and fruit during the week.
Started to dry age my beef, and my mate makes the best varieties of sausages around: https://www.facebook.com/TheBrathausCanberra
Love cheese!
Cheers!!!

Love good meat
Love fresh fish more
Really enjoy good cheese
Green veges are way cool
So are roasted root veges
Fruit can be to die for

Bread is ok but wouldnt miss it
Pasta.... just a filleruppa

I voted health
Simply because a well balanced diet works for me

I was a vegetarian for 8 years (vegan for 3) for ethical reasons and it did nothing at all for my health! In that time I found I caught more viruses and suffered longer and more severe symptoms than others. I also found that the stress of trying to follow the 'lifestyle' without criticism was too much for me. In that time I became pregnant with my first child and began consuming animal products again due to my concerns about the diet affecting my pregnancy.

Didn't work for me and as far as the ethics goes, it's the circle of life, sad but true. Most animals are another's food! (Including us sometimes!)

:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I hunt and kill animals for food. I also eat meat that that other people have been paid to kill and cut up and package for me. I also eat vegetables and grains that were grown on land that used to be animals habitats.
I buy animals that other people have killed and feed them to my snakes.
I live in a house that is situated on land that used to be animal habitat. etc etc.

So what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped drinking milk a year ago, now happy with Almond milk (Aldi!).
Love meat, mainly beef, sometimes pork. Try to eat it only on weekends, mainly salads and fruit during the week.
Started to dry age my beef, and my mate makes the best varieties of sausages around: https://www.facebook.com/TheBrathausCanberra
Love cheese!
Cheers!!![/QUOTE

I have not been to an almond Dairy , so I am not sure of the "milking " process . :lol:

I eat anything and everything (as long as its edible!)

I think theres too many variables to acurately say what is healthy and what is not. Dietary requirements and tolerances vary with different people, even within a single family.

I believe the biggest factor in health may be exercise. Protein takes alot longer to digest, much more so than carbohydrates, and our bodies burn more fat doing so, As hunter gatherers we walked everyday looking for food, searching for our next meal, this is something many in todays society no longer have to do to find all the juicy meat we desire.

So with meat being linked to heart disease and cancers like bowel and stomach ect may be true but we are no longer doing the things that came with having such a high protein diet. Were no longer burning up the large amounts of of fuel protein provides us, thus leading to such health problems.

I voted tradition as my ancestors (aborigines) have lived on a diet largely consisting on a variety of different bush meats, supplemented with seasonal plant foods and fruits. To hunt and eat meat is something i was raised with and still practice today.

To the OP i find it quite ignorant for you to say that eating meat is unhealthy and having the 'health' option in your poll in commas. especially since you've been a vegetarian for just 6 months. You can only speak for what you have experienced with your change in diet, not assume what it could do for others.

One diet does not suit all.

Dan

Last edited:
I dont eat dairy because I am lactose intolerant. I dont go round telling everyone to not use diary. Great you dont eat animal products, good for you but take it to your zealot friends to talk about. Dont come on here with your half baked propaganda pretending to be "just wondering" then pepper every post with half truths, blatant misinformation and evangelising.
Most people dont eat only meat and dairy, they mix it up with alhe other food groups. Unbelievablebly my family make meals with no animal products at all and frequently. They enjoy it for the taste, the satisfaction, the health and well being that eating a well balanced diet affords. In a lot of cases peoples health is effceted by individual food groups. By turning vegan this often helps because in isolating a vast array of foods they have cut out the ones that effect them along with the ones that dont. Veganism is an ideology, just like other religions it is based on philosophies. Your ethics and morals while supported by large groups of people are niether right or wrong, they are your judgements. Anyway, I have to thaw out some tofudemice for my snakes.

No judgement here.

I don’t eat, use or wear any product that contains or is tested on animals.
Apparently that makes me vegan but really I am just a person who has chosen not to eat or use animal products. I’m not a label or a type, I’m just me.

It’s a choice I made for me only, like a person may choose a faith that reflects who they are or want to be.

My husband eats and uses animal products and so do all my family and friends and work colleagues. In fact, I don’t know any other people who are ‘vegan’.

If someone asks me why I have made this choice I tell them. If they ask questions I answer them to the best of my knowledge. If they want any more information then I suggest that they might want to do their own research rather than take my word and opinion.

I don’t lecture, demonise or preach and I don’t think less of people who aren’t vegan. To be frank, I don’t care and it’s not my business how other people choose to live their life.

If people I think I’m a tree hugging knitted sandal wearing lunatic that's their choice and frankly I don’t care what most people think of me. ….Any more than I reckon other people care what I think of them!

Vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, exclusive meat eater, other – none are right or wrong or better or worse, they’re just different choices. You could site many reasons for and against for any of them so think and believe what you like, and live to be true to yourself.

I’m not out to change the world, I’m just out to change my world.

I am not denying that it hasnt happened , but really , what is your point?
Obviously there are right & wrong ways of doing things.
Obviously your body needs certain vitamins, minerals & nutrients to survive, but if you are telling me you cant get them elsewhere other then meat then I really can't be bothered wasting more time entertaining your comments.
gecko , when we where cave men , the people we evolved from do you think we even had access to theses veges and legumes what ever you want to eat , that compensate for the proteins etc that we would have lacked in if we didnt eat meat as cave men

would be pretty ignorant to deny the fact that we as a species would not have made it if our founding cave men fathers didnt hunt and eat meat to gain these things , we couldnt resort to veges only back then we simply would not have made it

so i will put it to you , that the only reason you can have the diet you have today is because all the things you have access to a much wider range of veges

gecko , heres a test for you , try to live only off the veges that you can grom locally in your backyard and nothing else , then come back in a few months time when youve had nothing but cucumber and lettuce and tell us how great your feeling

Last edited:
It is amazing how defensive you all are?!
Although I am not really surprised at the reception I have received, ppl seem to be very set in their ways & very closed minded & defensive about their meat.

It is amazing how many people are pointing the finger at me for being a pusher or preacher when look at the way all of you are preaching about meat & judging me for being different to you.
I really dont see the point in attacking me because I have a different way of doing things, but I am not at all surprised, but of course I am being the rude pushy one who's pushing my beliefs onto everyone?
I think I am more than entitled to have an opinion just as much as the rest of you.

The thing is I really dont have time to keep on top of this thread otherwise I know I would be able to answer each & every comment that is being made, but really I cant be bothered going back & forth with close minded ignorant people.
The documentaries I listed have all the answers within them.

At the end of the day I am happy with my lifestyle & wish I knew about it long ago, I have learnt so much in the past 6 months, I find it all very interesting & I am really enjoying learning more about healthy living.

I just wish it was easier to share what I have recently learnt with other people without the rudeness.
I am sorry if me wanting to share that with people is in anyway offensive?!
I dont think trying to understand why people want to eat meat is such a bad thing?

The thing is most people here believe in science. We believe in evolution and fact. So religion and fads that are not part of fact but rather fiction don't go will with this group in general.
We like facts and the facts have been mentioned. But you appear to closed minded to listen to them. It reminds my of the debates about creation vs evolution. We evolved eating meat and it is an important part of our genetic make up. This is the main reason we eat meat if you are truly interested in why we eat meat.

In much the same vain religious people always want to be able to "share" their new found love and joy for their lifestyle and are frustrated when people do not want to hear their message. It's not that people are closed mind as you are labeling them. It's that they have decided for themselves how to live.

It is amazing how defensive you all are?!
Although I am not really surprised at the reception I have received, ppl seem to be very set in their ways & very closed minded & defensive about their meat.

It is amazing how many people are pointing the finger at me for being a pusher or preacher when look at the way all of you are preaching about meat & judging me for being different to you.
I really dont see the point in attacking me because I have a different way of doing things, but I am not at all surprised, but of course I am being the rude pushy one who's pushing my beliefs onto everyone?
I think I am more than entitled to have an opinion just as much as the rest of you.

The thing is I really dont have time to keep on top of this thread otherwise I know I would be able to answer each & every comment that is being made, but really I cant be bothered going back & forth with close minded ignorant people.
The documentaries I listed have all the answers within them.

At the end of the day I am happy with my lifestyle & wish I knew about it long ago, I have learnt so much in the past 6 months, I find it all very interesting & I am really enjoying learning more about healthy living.

I just wish it was easier to share what I have recently learnt with other people without the rudeness.
I am sorry if me wanting to share that with people is in anyway offensive?!
I dont think trying to understand why people want to eat meat is such a bad thing?
could you please answer my last few points though , i will leave it after that i just want to know you view on whether or not we would have made it as a species if it wasnt for the fact that we took what we could get LOCALLY

and if you dont believe that then would you be willing to live on a diet of nothing but vegetables and fruits that you can grow in your local area

i know you dont think your trying to push your beliefs onto anyone but what was the point of this thread , i think your real agenda has just been hidden behind a peer poll

aslo my final point for the thread , meat is not detrimental to your health , like you have said it is over eating of any food however is (even bananas ) , there are plenty of professionals with much more knowledge on the matter than you and i who would agree with that

I was a vegetarian for 8 years (vegan for 3) for ethical reasons and it did nothing at all for my health! In that time I found I caught more viruses and suffered longer and more severe symptoms than others. I also found that the stress of trying to follow the 'lifestyle' without criticism was too much for me. In that time I became pregnant with my first child and began consuming animal products again due to my concerns about the diet affecting my pregnancy.

Didn't work for me and as far as the ethics goes, it's the circle of life, sad but true. Most animals are another's food! (Including us sometimes!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am interested to know what kind of viruses you suffered from as a result of giving up animal products.
Obviously only if your comfortable sharing that kind of information.

I eat meat because I was born an omnivore

I hear this statement a lot & as mentioned it was also my belief until recently as that is what I was taught & believed to be true.
But what makes you think we are Omnivore?
Show me factual evidence that we are suppose to be Omnivore?

I eat anything and everything (as long as its edible!)

So with meat being linked to heart disease and cancers like bowel and stomach ect may be true but we are no longer doing the things that came with having such a high protein diet. Were no longer burning up the large amounts of of fuel protein provides us, thus leading to such health problems.

I voted tradition as my ancestors (aborigines) have lived on a diet largely consisting on a variety of different bush meats, supplemented with seasonal plant foods and fruits. To hunt and eat meat is something i was raised with and still practice today.

To the OP i find it quite ignorant for you to say that eating meat is unhealthy and having the 'health' option in your poll in commas. especially since you've been a vegetarian for just 6 months. You can only speak for what you have experienced with your change in diet, not assume what it could do for others.

One diet does not suit all.

Dan

How am I the one being ignorant?
The fact I have only been vegetarian for 6 months has nothing to do with it, I am not the founder of vegetarian/vegan diets & not claiming to be.
So your comment is a little ridiculous.

I dont eat dairy because I am lactose intolerant. I dont go round telling everyone to not use diary. Great you dont eat animal products, good for you but take it to your zealot friends to talk about. Dont come on here with your half baked propaganda pretending to be "just wondering" then pepper every post with half truths, blatant misinformation and evangelising.
Most people dont eat only meat and dairy, they mix it up with alhe other food groups. Unbelievablebly my family make meals with no animal products at all and frequently. They enjoy it for the taste, the satisfaction, the health and well being that eating a well balanced diet affords. In a lot of cases peoples health is effceted by individual food groups. By turning vegan this often helps because in isolating a vast array of foods they have cut out the ones that effect them along with the ones that dont. Veganism is an ideology, just like other religions it is based on philosophies. Your ethics and morals while supported by large groups of people are niether right or wrong, they are your judgements. Anyway, I have to thaw out some tofudemice for my snakes.

Who are you to tell me what I can & cant come on here & talk about?
I have clearly posted this in the chit chat section & have just as much right to be here as you do.

What are you talking about about 'half baked propaganda & peppering posts with half truths, blatant misinformation and evangelising"
Please explain?

Where have I said that I believe meat shouldnt be consumed at all?
Obviously there is a place for meat & I am not saying you shouldnt feed your reptile what is required of their natural diet - that is obvious.
Again I have posted this in the chit chat section & havent once said people should be trying to convert their pets to a herbavore diet!

I am interested to know what kind of viruses you suffered from as a result of giving up animal products.
Obviously only if your comfortable sharing that kind of information.

I don't believe I suffered any virus as a direct result if a lack of animal product. I do believe that my immune system was not as strong as it is while I am consuming animal products.

The viruses I was frequently struck with were the usual colds and flu as well as a nasty bout of viral conjunctivitis. Since resuming an omnivorous diet I have not shown symptoms of as many viruses and when I do they are less severe.
There is no controlled scientific method behind this though, just my opinion of what I encountered. It's not my business what anyone else eats, just thought I'd share my reasoning.

ETA: This topic will always (in my experience) garner responses that are defensive/offensive one way or the other. It's human nature to defend what you do and believe to be right.

I hear this statement a lot & as mentioned it was also my belief until recently as that is what I was taught & believed to be true.
But what makes you think we are Omnivore?
Show me factual evidence that we are suppose to be Omnivore?

Where have I said that I believe meat shouldnt be consumed at all?
i refer you back to my point on cave men , do you honestly think that we would of survived on purely the vegetables and fruits that our founding ancestors had LOCALLY , remembering that back then we didnt have access to all the vegetables and fruits we have today

also you havent exactly said that meat shouldn't be consumed but you are hinting at it when you say things like it it detrimental to our health , which is way off the mark and totally incorrect , its not the meat thats bad its how much of it we eat

The thing is most people here believe in science. We believe in evolution and fact. So religion and fads that are not part of fact but rather fiction don't go will with this group in general.
We like facts and the facts have been mentioned. But you appear to closed minded to listen to them. It reminds my of the debates about creation vs evolution. We evolved eating meat and it is an important part of our genetic make up. This is the main reason we eat meat if you are truly interested in why we eat meat.

In much the same vain religious people always want to be able to "share" their new found love and joy for their lifestyle and are frustrated when people do not want to hear their message. It's not that people are closed mind as you are labeling them. It's that they have decided for themselves how to live.

I also believe in evolution & facts.
I have presented you with many 'facts' , Im not asking you to take my word for it, there are plenty of facts available, whether of not you want to do anything with them is up to you & you alone.
I am not closed minded at all, I have been living by the same diet as you for most of my life & am quite open minded about it.
Its just after the studies I have seen & facts I have discovered I am actually blown away that people still want to consume it which is why I was interested to start a poll to see what the motivation is.

could you please answer my last few points though , i will leave it after that i just want to know you view on whether or not we would have made it as a species if it wasnt for the fact that we took what we could get LOCALLY

and if you dont believe that then would you be willing to live on a diet of nothing but vegetables and fruits that you can grow in your local area

i know you dont think your trying to push your beliefs onto anyone but what was the point of this thread , i think your real agenda has just been hidden behind a peer poll

aslo my final point for the thread , meat is not detrimental to your health , like you have said it is over eating of any food however is (even bananas ) , there are plenty of professionals with much more knowledge on the matter than you and i who would agree with that

I think I have made it clear why I have started this thread.
& I am not here to prove if you can live on veggies from your back yard
(mind you I wouldnt have too much trouble given the selection of fruit/veg I have available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back