Is this okay?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YayPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if MDF wood panels would be fine to use to build a carpet python enclosure. And would I need to do anything to the wood to make it safe?

Thanks,
YayPythons :D

Last edited:
I'm no carpenter but I think melamine would be the best thing. You could get away with just sealing up the corner joins.
Is there a particular reason you don't like the melamine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm no carpenter but I think melamine would be the best thing. You could get away with just sealing up the corner joins.
Is there a particular reason you don't like the melamine?

I think I don't like melamine because I like the look of real wood more. And when you say seal up the joints do you mean sealing up the joints on the MDF?

Thanks,
YayPythons:D

I think I don't like melamine because I like the look of real wood more. And when you say seal up the joints do you mean sealing up the joints on the MDF?

Thanks,
No he means sealing up the joints on melamine. Any wood you use will need to be fully sealed because no wood is waterproof. You can get clear pond sealer or enamels that still show the original finish if that's what you're after. I wouldn’t really say MDF has a “real” wood look though myself.

Thanks,

That's fair enough :) I meant the corners of the melamine still need to be sealed up (with silicone).

If you go for any type of real wood it would have to be sealed with something. This could be done with just clear varnish I would suppose (someone else should chime in if I'm off the mark please...).

:)

Saximus beat me to it :D

Mate stay away from mdf, any slight hint of moisture and it starts to break down, even high humidity will cause it to swell.

Marine or form ply. Once assembled coat in pond sealer/ resin will out last a melamine enclosure considerably

MDF = Medium Density Fibreboard. The ladies call it craft wood - same thing. Grainless, spotless, flavourless. It is designed for painting, workshop jigs, out of sight reinforcing etc. It needs to be completely sealed with several coats especially if used where there is water or chance of staining, ie: an enclosure.

You can get a veneered MDF but it will still need substantial sealing. If you want the 'look of wood', go with ply or a veneered particle board. Structural ply is the cheapest but needs lots of finishing work. AA grade or marine ply is the best quality but is expensive. I often use ply from Bunnings a lot. It is CD grade. That is 'C' grade on one side, 'D' on the other.

I have also used melamine for the base of enclosures and ply or veneered board for the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back