Do you eat Meat or Dairy - if so why?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you eat Meat &/or Dairy

• Habit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tradition

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Convenience

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taste

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • 'Health'

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Other - please list any other reasons

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clear what the objectives of the op are.

Yep, like how she asked us why we eat what we eat.... Its just everyone else misunderstood what she asked therefore it is not her fault this thread has become what it is. This is a very touchy subject by the looks of it. You eat what you eat because you believe thats what healthiest for you. Gecko eats what she eats because thats what she believes in.

Stop throwing stupid facts at each other. Your all loosing a argument that cannot be won. Its like trying to tell a Athiest there is a god or a Christian there isn't one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many more scientists attest that humans are omnivores, and this is not hardly subjective evidence, nor does it offer any “proof” that would suggest humans are not. While the information quoted is correct, it is very incomplete, and has been selected in a manner to paint a very once sided picture.

Pure carnivores have very simple digestive systems, essentially a long piece of pipe with a bulge near the beginning. It’s important to note that all carnivores digestive systems are remarkably similar and they all function exactly the same way. They are as stated, very short. A carnivore’s stomach acts as a reservoir, allowing one small meal to suffice for many hours. Intake that cannot be digested – raw vegetable matter, cellulose, bone – pass through unchanged (this is very important to note). Digestion of food in a carnivore is performed by enzymes produced by glands in the animals own body and all the absorption of nutrients from that food is through the wall of the small intestine.

By comparison, pure herbivores have very complicated digestive systems. The first difference between a herbivore and a carnivore is the sheer amount of food the herbivore is forced to eat. While a carnivore can manage on a small meal a day, a herbivore eats so much it is almost continually eating. The process by which a herbivore digests its food is vasty complicated, involves bacteria and micro-organisms (which they are not born with), enzymes, and often a complicated series of stomachs and intestines. The digestive systems of herbivores are very wasteful and inefficient.

A humans digestive system is remarkable similar to a carnivore in form, digestive enzymes and length. The biggest difference is that our saliva does contain amylase to help digest starch, however we do not have a digestive enzyme that will break down plant cells walls and release that starch. We also do not possess bacteria and micro enzymes to do the job. If we eat a largely plant-based diet, the environment in our colons will change from alkaline to acid. While this will break down plant material, no apsorbtion of the nutrients these contain takes place. This is why many of us have gas from large amounts of vegetable matter, and why many vegetarians lose weight.

The totality of the evidence demonstrates that the human digestive track is extremely inefficient with coping with foods of a vegetable origin, with no bacteria and enzymes capable of breaking down the cell walls to release the small amounts of energy inside, generally we can only eat these foods once they have been processed (mainly by cooking) and given nature intended us to eat our food raw, they simply cannot form a significant part of our diet. During evolution we lived well, our diets were largely animal protein and fat, and this was supplemented with wild fruits during lean times. As more than 99.9% of our genetic makeup was evolved before we as a species started to heat and cook foods, it stands to reason that it must be the correct diet for us today.

Furthermore, if you put a child in the natural environment, they will in fact eat bugs, leaves, grass, and fruit, pretty much whatever they can “fit” into their mouths. The need to learn and explore is a direct result of our developing brain function which simply could not have occurred without animal protein. Many humans eat raw meat, it is a common practice and is by far the healthiest option. Cooking meat is a very modern practice in the evolution of humans.

Cancer rates are directly attributed to age. Humans simply live longer, and are exposed to many chemicals over longer periods of time. Medication that lets us live longer is likely the biggest cause of cancer in the human race.

Based on the above reasoning, I will eat meat, and dairy, as to date, these is little scientific evidence to suggest that the tens of billions of humans before me where wrong. The evidence gathered from ancient tribes untouched by western ways, still existing today, would suggest that a diet consisting of almost entirely animal protein would indicate that the problem does not lie in the food products, but the lifestyle we lead.

i eat meat, its tasty, and part of a well rounded diet, i agree its not essential to a healthy lifestyle, you can get the goodness from meat from the right vegetables etc.

as for the human digestive system, you must not forget the fact that our jaws\saliva are far better for predigesting foods so that our stomach and intestines don't need to be as complex, and the human body is very clever, if you eat more greens in your diet then the bacteria in your mouth and intestines designed to handle plant material increase, the human body is something like 70-80% bacteria and where\how you live influences the amount and type of bacteria in your body.

have a watch of some of the Catalyst vids on health in the bellow link, most are short vids 5 min or so.

Catalyst: Health Stories - ABC TV Science

Catalyst: Ancient Teeth - ABC TV Science

Having just come back from a visit to the local supermarket I think we all need to eat less to be able to afford the herps that we love !!

And it wasn't just the price of meat but the fruit & veg also :cry:

Wow this thread racked up the posts pretty quickly. I wouldn't be recommending soy and almond products as a staple. Almonds while delicious and healthy in moderation, can cause high cholesterol. Soy has being link to alzheimers.

I eat meat and would say I have a fairly healthy lifestyle.

Is it possible that the benefits you are feeling Gecko are actually partially due to a placebo. Recently there was some research done on a low sugar that suggested some of the benefits felt by participants was due to a placebo effect.

Thankyou for answering my query regarding the inverted commas around 'health'.
Now can you please tell me what you feed your pets?

Wow this thread racked up the posts pretty quickly. I wouldn't be recommending soy and almond products as a staple. Almonds while delicious and healthy in moderation, can cause high cholesterol. Soy has being link to alzheimers.

I eat meat and would say I have a fairly healthy lifestyle.

Is it possible that the benefits you are feeling Gecko are actually partially due to a placebo. Recently there was some research done on a low sugar that suggested some of the benefits felt by participants was due to a placebo effect.
I agree & am certainly not & havent recommended soy or Almonld milk as a staple.

I am doubtful that it is a placebo effect, mind you I have also cut out alot of processed foods & adopted a daily juicing habit & have to admit that these would also be huge contributing factors to the improvements I have felt.
But as mentioned I am not going off my experiences alone.
There is plenty of evidence available.

- - - Updated - - -

Thankyou for answering my query regarding the inverted commas around 'health'.
Now can you please tell me what you feed your pets?

Sure, I feed my pets what ever is required for them to be healthy.
ie Their natural diet.

I am sorry if me putting 'health' is in anyway offensive? I fail to see it is.
In fact it nearly got left off all together as I don't believe it should even be an option on the poll.
Not because I am ignorant because I am the one that created the Poll so I have set it out the way I wanted it set out.

I agree & am certainly not & havent recommended soy or Almonld milk as a staple.

I am doubtful that it is a placebo effect, mind you I have also cut out alot of processed foods & adopted a daily juicing habit & have to admit that these would also be huge contributing factors to the improvements I have felt.
But as mentioned I am not going off my experiences alone.
There is plenty of evidence available.

I am not a Vegan, I am a Vegetarian that is looking into cutting down my intake on dairy products.
Whilst Veganism is very new to me I am not professing to be some kind of expert (far from it) but as far as I am aware Vegans dont have a problem providing their own milk to their own babies, they just have a problem with stealing milk from another animals baby.

Either way I would have every intention of providing my own milk to my own baby, I wouldnt have it any other way.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, I feed my pets what ever is required for them to be healthy.
ie Their natural diet.
Your feeling of well being may not attributed to the placebo effect but with so many changes to your diet you can not claim with any certainty that it has anything to do with not eating meat anymore. I would bet that if you kept eating a very similar diet as you are but added lean red meat twice a week and fish twice a week that you would not feel any different than you do now.

Whether or not I added meat back into my diet wouldn't make a difference to any studies or evidence that has been produced over the past years though.
But there is no doubt that cutting sugar & processed crap out has done me wonders.

I would bet that if you kept eating a very similar diet as you are but added lean red meat twice a week and fish twice a week that you would not feel any different than you do now.

I tend to agree.Have found that I feel a lot better merely by cutting out as much sugar as possible,cutting down on caffeine and not eating junk food.

I don't beleive that animal protein causes cancer, but I have learnt that it promotes the growth of existing cancer. So if you have cancer and are being treated for it cutting out the animal protein will help shrink and reduce the growth.
Don't ask for details, I am simply putting out a different perspective and can't be bothered reading the thread or going into it any further.
But if you don't have cancer just enjoy your life while you can!

I used to have the same attitude as alot of you guys.
I ate meat pretty much every single day & used to think Vegans were a little strange.

Then 1 day my sister showed me Forks over knives & it seriously changed my life.
The more I looked into it the more information I found.
There are endless studies that have been done proving that animal protein feeds cancer cells.
It is a fact whether or not you want to look into it is up to you.

But those that are interested I would love to hear your thoughts after you have done some more research & watch some of the links I have provided.
They are not made by a bunch of stoned hippies or Animal activists some of the docos are put together by actual doctors & scientists & nutritionists, people that know all about this kind of stuff.
So don't take my word for it, see for yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

For anyone that may be interested I thoroughly recommend watching the following:

Forks over Knives:
Forks Over Knives - YouTube

Food Matters:
The Food Matters Free Screening 2013 | FOODMATTERS®

Food Inc:
FOOD INC - YouTube

Best Speech You Will Ever Hear:
Watch a Life-Changing Speech! << ADAPTT :: Animals Deserve Absolute Protection Today and Tomorrow

Fat, sick & nearly dead:
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead - Official Film - YouTube

I would be interested in hearing peoples views after watching even 1 of these docos.
I truly believe watching these docos will change your life.

If you dont want to watch all of them do yourself a favour & at least watch 1.

The best way of getting a balanced diet would be to return to eating seasonally available foods , Talking to some young chefs in a fancy pants catering company last week and they could not believe that things like Water, rock and honey dew melons were seasonal when I started cooking . Then I went on to tell about the types of lettuce available and the many fruit and veg that just were not there every day of the year .Sourcing meats locally was also done years ago but now there are not farms close to the cities .

Our modern diet of over processed crap is the cause of a fair amount of health problems ,Cutting out the big processed items ie flour and sugar would probably do us all the world of good . I have been doing work where a few dinners were gluten free and been using gluten free flour /rice flour / almond meal and a few other things and making some very edible food.

Just noticed how many people have voted compared to the number of posts :lol:

Unless you are growing everything yourself ( including your meat and eggs and dairy ) using untainted feed and water god knows what crap you are ingesting. The amount of pesticides, herbicides not to mention antibiotics and hormones used in agriculture and food manufacture is horrifying. I would be more worried about these than a moderate serve of meat.

Joe.

Yes I eat meat ( my own cattle ).

As a student of nutritional medicine I feel obligated to say this,

The day you stop eating good quality pasture fed and finished meat, is the day your body starts to die.

Have your own beliefs and do whatever you wish to do but I cannot be anymore frank about this...becoming a vegan will literally kill you.

I
For anyone that may be interested I thoroughly recommend watching the following:

im sorry Gecko, but the videos you linked are heavily bias and lacking in scientific credibility, you need to watch videos like the bellow, that are done with Medical people showing medial data both good and bad taking a non bias and purely factual point of view.

Catalyst: Heart of the Matter Part 1 - Dietary Villains - ABC TV Science Heart of the Matter Part 1 - Dietary Villains Pt1 (30min)

Catalyst: Heart of the Matter Part 2 - Cholesterol Drug War - ABC TV Science Heart of the Matter Part 1 - Dietary Villains Pt2 (30min)

Catalyst: Exercise is Medicine - ABC TV Science Exercise is medicine (8.3min)

Catalyst: Exercise overdose - ABC TV Science Exercise overdose (6min)

Catalyst: Toxic Sugar? - ABC TV Science Toxic Sugar (18min)

This is a strange question to ask people. Kinda like asking "why do you wear clothes?" "Why do you
like having friends?" "Why do you scrunch or fold your toilet paper?"
It's the sort of open ended question you ask when you want to deliver an anthem of "your opinion" in response.
I eat meat, I drink dairy, I do so because I enjoy it, it keeps me healthy and luckily for me it is easily available.
Depriving your body because of your beliefs is fine. Asking other people why they don't do it seems just a tad rude to me.
I don't care what you eat or why, so why do you care why other people eat what they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back