Python eating faeces

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

5potted

Reaction score
Well this is something that I hope I never have to witness again, but my BHP has decided to eat her fresh faeces this morning... What I want to know is what health issues I should keep an eye out for in the next few days?

All I have to say is that's freakin disgusting..

Im not sure about health issues but that snake should be ashamed..

Dan

Trust me Dan, I'm typing this through an upset stomach! She only had a rabbit a week ago too so it's not as if she's starving!

Should be fine. Bhps eat other snakes who would also be packed full of poo, their stomachs can definitely handle some nasty stuff.

The health concern behind WHY he ate it could be a different reason, but maybe with the weather warming up its feeling adventurous, I wouldn't put it past my tiger to have a chomp on his poo if it even remotely smelt edible to him.

Yeah I did a google search and there's a fair few fecal eating pythons out there! Best explanation is that the fur or food reminants still have a prey smell which triggers a feeding response. There hasn't been any mention of health ramifications but I guess they do eat whole food packed with faeces as stated above.

Oh well, one less enclosure to clean this week 0.o

Also one less snake to handle this week - unless you had the baby wipes handy lol.

Literally dribbling *excrement*

LMAO oh dear, too many hilarious references... The first that came to mind was a video produced years ago involving a cup :p

slightly off the topic but i have two pugs at home who get their heads into the cat litter box every so often. Disgusting I know, but the vet told me it was because quality cat food is still full of nutrients even after it's been passed that they can smell. Perhaps there's a similar thing going on here?

slightly off the topic but i have two pugs at home who get their heads into the cat litter box every so often. Disgusting I know, but the vet told me it was because quality cat food is still full of nutrients even after it's been passed that they can smell. Perhaps there's a similar thing going on here?
My mums pug does the same thing

It will be absolutely fine from that. I have seen my spotted black snake do it a couple of times when I haven't cleaned his tank quick enough. I have heard of several different species doing it, mulga's being one of the worse for it going even as far as to eat the paper it is on.
Cheers Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back