Coastal Carpet Enclosure Upgrade

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd2302

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Well my 'baby' coastal carpet python is just over a year old and just over a metre long now, she has been in a roughly 60cm wide/40cm deep/40cm tall URS enclosure up until now, I was wondering whether with coastals I can move her up to her final enclosure or should I move her up to a more medium one rather than a large full-adult enclosure?

If so, any suggestions on what to use to build an enclosure for her? I have seen some retail enclosures for sale at a high price and thought I could probably build an enclosure for her for cheaper. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions on good building materials, ideas (particularly for semi-arboreal coastals), or measurements I should be looking for?

Here is a pic of her current enclosure and my snake itself. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks a heap! :)

Bamboo Enclosure.jpg Bamboo.jpg

Your final considerations have to be regarding the huge size a coastal gets ( eventually ) so maybe just go for medium size build for next few yrs say 4ft or 120cm in the new scale

So 120cm high? What about depth? Any good quality woods I should use etc?

Also, do many people give their coastals a suspended hide or a hide that isn't on the floor? I have found most coastals hie out in the trees in the wild and just want to recreate the natural environment as best I can? Any suggestions on how to do this? Cheers for the reply :)

There are some absolutely fabulous threads in the DIY section for what and how to build with everything from building materials to fittings, as far as what to keep your coastal in for the next 4 or 5 years i think you would be safe with 1200 x 1200 x 600 or thereabouts, the position for a hide will most probably be made by your Coastal, offer it a temp suspended hide and a terrestrial hide to start with and see which 1 it likes the best, i have offered our girl about 6 diff hides and she still always favours the big rock/cave on the floor, she also basks on top of it under the CHE, Andynic here on the forum uses suspended hides and they look gr8, they also free up alot of the floor space as well, just make sure you have lots of places for it to climb and bask, a basking shelf like the 1 Pythonmum made is always a good addition to your enclosure. :) ........................Ron

Hi all

There are some absolutely fabulous threads in the DIY section for what and how to build with everything from building materials to fittings, as far as what to keep your coastal in for the next 4 or 5 years i think you would be safe with 1200 x 1200 x 600 or thereabouts, the position for a hide will most probably be made by your Coastal, offer it a temp suspended hide and a terrestrial hide to start with and see which 1 it likes the best, i have offered our girl about 6 diff hides and she still always favours the big rock/cave on the floor, she also basks on top of it under the CHE, Andynic here on the forum uses suspended hides and they look gr8, they also free up alot of the floor space as well, just make sure you have lots of places for it to climb and bask, a basking shelf like the 1 Pythonmum made is always a good addition to your enclosure. :) ........................Ron

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has used any cabinet makers in Sydney to make enclosures that you would recommend. I would appreciate the name/number.

Cheers all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back