Glue or screw tracks?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDkeeper

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how to attache sliding glass tracks on to wood. Glue or screw or nail?

glue, as screw and nails leave imperfections in the track which can damage your glass or impact it's ability to slide

really depends on the track!

my cowdroy ones have tiny holes for a few nails in the bottom but then none in the top! i used them with small nails and with liquid nails(glue)!

I drill 1 mm holes in applicable places and use tiny 1mm pins with a small bead of silicone.... Yet to have one move...JUST a note if they slightly compress plastic just run a file gently inside where nails r ... The 5 mm glass will run fine

Last edited:
I just nail through the bottom of the track so it sits flush with small nails, all my glass slides well.

Do you guys use a punch or a screwdriver or something to get the tacks all the way down in the grooves?

Do you guys use a punch or a screwdriver or something to get the tacks all the way down in the grooves?

Yeah I predrill a small hole about 3/4 the length of the nail then hammer it flat, or even a bit deeper than the track with a nail punch.

I just took some photos - didn't realise my tracks were so dirty or nails so rusty but you get the idea.

5FIHq.jpg

5FIIi.jpg

my mates used high strength double side tape with very high success wont budge at all and you can get rather large rolls fairly cheap from any hardware store

I drill 1 mm holes in applicable places and use tiny 1mm pins with a small bead of silicone.... Yet to have one move...JUST a note if they slightly compress plastic just run a file gently inside where nails r ... The 5 mm glass will run fine

That's nearly exactly what I did :) but instead I drilled, nailed and nail punched the skinny middle bit instead of where the glass goes (if that makes sense?). Still needed to file it so the so the glass (in my case perspex) would run properly.

I drilled and put a few nails through the divider for the bottom track and just put nails through the bit the glass sits in for the top, you'll have clearance there anyway

Thanks guys i think i might drill then hammer then nail punch some tiny nails in

I pre drill the tracks top and bottom, then use wood glue for the bottom track to line it all up, then counter sink little brass screws in both, they hold up really well and don't stick at all :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I scuff up the bottom surface of the tracks and just use silicone. If you dont scruff them up the silicone cant get much grip. I just use white roof and gutter silicone.

Only had issues with using mdf as it didnt seem to grab it very well, on all my melamine (chipboard) enclosures the tracks have stayed stuck.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back