Spencers monitor Respritory infection care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptilianHybrid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi just looking for some advice iv got a spencers monitor hes friendly happy and eats every 2 to 3 days but had a bit of discharge from his nose last few days, itook him to the reptile vet she said he had a upper respritory infection, seemed a bit inexperienced opening his mouth with a pen to swab and then told me theres bacteria but that's normal wich makes sense but why swab? does anyone who knows allot about this subject tell me if this sounds correct. Treatment is .06 baytrill oral once a day. She has said he should be in 50-70% humidity,40-42c basking spot and cool end min 20cIMAG0162.jpg

I can't really comment on the respiratory infection because I've never seen it in spenceri before, but the basking temperature is too low, it should be up around 60 -70c. Their humidity should be as low as you can get it as well, I only put a water bowl in with them about once a week for a couple of hours. They are a dry climate species of monitor that lives in harsh conditions and only see water when it rains, which isn't too common in the mitchell grass downs where they are found.

I can't really comment on the respiratory infection because I've never seen it in spenceri before, but the basking temperature is too low, it should be up around 60 -70c. Their humidity should be as low as you can get it as well, I only put a water bowl in with them about once a week for a couple of hours. They are a dry climate species of monitor that lives in harsh conditions and only see water when it rains, which isn't too common in the mitchell grass downs where they are found.
Thanks I will adjust his temperature your the 3rd person that's told me this. I was convinced by the owner of a pet shop in Adelaide to have his basking spot at 36c and was very passionate about this opinion and his perentie made me think he was experienced. The vet was sure enough that ive got a note on my receipt with the temps. hope more people can add to this thread to help other people out, theres allot of conflicting info out there

Last edited by a moderator:
My spencers sits under a basking spot of 70 everyday and loves it, 36 is way too low.

Is that 70c on the ground under the basing spot. What is your cool end temperature sorry one more question .how should you keep them warm at night ?. iv been using a red globe throughtout the night here in Adelaide gets below 15 sometimes

70c should be the surface temperature of the basking spot, not the air temperature. You can let them get cold at night as long as they've got they daytime heat. Where they come from is freezing in winter time. Using the red light is fine though.

Perenties enjoy the same sort of conditions - if his has a basking spot of only 36C it will eventually go the same way...

Jamie

Thanks for the replies iv just worked out the infection was really just quail chick juice squeezing out his nostrils when he eats. $200 well spent at the vet lol hypochondriac. But the advice on heating has been good 4 good shops have told me 4 very different basking temps and are passionate about it. Im going to start a vote on what temperature people keep these monitors at.

You don't need to start a vote on what temperature people keep these monitors at, as you you've already been told by some experienced members here in this thread. I suggest that you take their advice and raise temperatures considerably asap.

...monitors typically require a basking site of at least 40-50°C in order to reach optimal body temperature.
Grant Husband and Matthew Bonnett, 'Keeping & Breeding Australian Lizards', 2008.

Last edited:
Note that the quote says "at least..." You should also make sure that when the Spencer's (or any large monitor) grows, your heat source should grow as well - if you only have a small, focussed heat source, you risk localised burns as the large animal attempts to utilise the heated area.

Jamie

You don't need to start a vote on what temperature people keep these monitors at, as you you've already been told by some experienced members here in this thread. I suggest that you take their advice and raise temperatures considerably asap.

Grant Husband and Matthew Bonnett, 'Keeping & Breeding Australian Lizards', 2008.

yes id agree but iv also been told 70c on here and 3 members agreed ? so which one is it?

What has been said is 'At LEAST 50C to maintain health"

So in theory you could probably keep them alive at a lower temperature
But why not try to keep them at optimum temps
As suggested optimum temps seem to be 70c

That's what lli do hes already at 60c ill come up to 70c next week and appreciate the help. Don't know why people get snappy on here. A pet shop in Adelaide been here for years he sells 100s of monitors even keeps a perentie in his shop and he tells me im stupid for going over 36c lol so im glad iv asked lots of questions. iv had allot of different oppinions by passionate self believing;) people on here

- - - Updated - - -

What has been said is 'At LEAST 50C to maintain health"

So in theory you could probably keep them alive at a lower temperature
But why not try to keep them at optimum temps
As suggested optimum temps seem to be 70c
Read it all this thread properly theyv actually quoted a book saying 40-50c aswell. so just on this thread thebasking temp is 40-50-60-70C

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back