Bearded Dragon Laying Only 3 Eggs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Maniac

Reaction score
Hi All,

Unexpectedly this afternoon I found 3 eggs within my bearded dragon enclosure. As this was a surprise to me I did not provide the female with a lay box. How come my female only laid only three eggs this afternoon?

The three eggs I found where laid at separate times: I discovered the first two eggs which where shriveled up within the bark substrate at around 4 o'clock. As I returned to the enclosure around 2 hours later, I found one more egg submerged into the shallow drinking bowl within the enclosure. This egg appeared to be moist, healthy and white.

I now have a laying box within the enclosure.

Also, I heard to incubate the eggs at 27 degrees is this wright? Should I attempt to hatch the infertile eggs or dispose of them?

It would be much appreciated if anyone can help answer my questions.

Regards,
James

Pics would be handy thanks.Adam

- - - Updated - - -

Keeping and breeding bearded dragons says 25c-31c depends on what species of bearded dragon you should invest some money in a good herp book even one specific on the species you have.

My incubator is currently hovering around 29d + or - 1deg and it has over 80 Beardie eggs in it add to that a clutch that hatched last night. My eggs hatched around day 64

good luck mate

ps if that's dirt in that tub I would change it to vermiculite 8-9 bucks from bunnings

Both eggs look infertile.

Providing a suitable lay box or area set up in the enclosure to allow for egg laying is the best way of ensuring they lay all the eggs at once.

Keep the humility at around 70-80% and I have temp at 27degree.

I dont breed beardies, I do breed pythons though and to my eyes both those eggs look infertile due to both the colour and the odd shape (the one on the right has that hook shaped point to it)
Are you familiar with "candling" eggs? If not its where you place a small torch up against the egg shell in a dark room, the egg glows and fertile eggs will have veins visible, infertile "slugs" will not have veins. Try it from a couple of different spots on the egg because sometimes different angles get clearer results.

Aaron

Shame about that. My bearded dragon laid 2 more eggs today though, however, even though I had a laying box they where laid outside the box. Why is this so?

- - - Updated - - -

Also how many holes should a incubating box have to allow ventilation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back