Very Sick Woma :( Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heat mats are nothing but trouble. I don't know why people still use them when there are so many horror stories about them going wrong and injuring animals, and when heat cord is available and a much safer and more versatile option.

Vets do not play any role in enforcing the law surrounding the licensing and keeping of native reptiles. They have no right to ask you for your license details. They only have the right to get your correct details for billing purposes. Just like they don't insist people to have their dogs and cats registered before treatment, they would not be concerned with the legalities of your pet.

I have experienced 2nd degree burns from having boiling water splashed all over my legs, and that felt like the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to have your flesh cooked on a slow heat. Poor snake. Don't use heat mats! All it takes is for them to get a little bit bent or a bit of water in them, to malfunction and overheat. They should never be put inside an enclosure.

Heat mats are nothing but trouble. I don't know why people still use them when there are so many horror stories about them going wrong and injuring animals, and when heat cord is available and a much safer and more versatile option.

Heat mats can be okay, and I've seen a snake burnt on heat rope because it moved the thermostat probe. With any heat source you have to monitor your temperatures. Not only do you have to have a thermostat every time, but you have to use thermometers to monitor that your thermostat is behaving. I like to use a tile or similar to temper the heat of any ground-source, the tile heats up more evenly and eliminates any hot-spots created by uneven heating, and does not heat up as quickly as the heat mat.

What a kerfuffle! Vets are not interested in acting as agents for wildlife authorities, they simply aren't there to manage the licensing system by proxy. Take that very unwell animal to the vet in full confidence that whether or not it's licenced, it will get the treatment it deserves and you will maintain your confidentiality. It's a no-brainer - if vets were expected to enquire about and report on every reptile they see, they'd spend their days doing paperwork for the state conservation authorities. The wildlife authorities also understand that if this was a requirement, some animals might end up in a very bad way indeed, and it would deter the vets from doing what they are obligated by professional oath to do - attend to sick animals.

It's a pity this discussion wasn't nipped in the bud before the prospects were developed into a horror scenario, ie., even to the destruction of the snake... by the fear-mongers here.

Jamie

I was told that as the snake had never been registered and as such can't prove her lineage, that they would confiscate and destroy her if they knew where she was.

It's a pity this discussion wasn't nipped in the bud before the prospects were developed into a horror scenario, ie., even to the destruction of the snake... by the fear-mongers here.

Jamie

I believe it was the Original Poster who originally suggested that the animal might get confuscated or destroyed, and (as best as I can see) everyone else has been saying that vets don't report animals that are unlicenced. Many early posts were pushing the issue and asking why the animal was unable to go to the vet, and I get the impression the OP had these horror-scenario fears before he posted at all.

I know that in my area they only destroy confuscated native animals if they are too sick to re-home, and they distribute the others among the reptile keeping community via ballots. I can only assume it is the same thoughout NSW, and the rest of the country. I personally think it's a rumour that all animals that get confuscated get destroyed.

i adopted a snake that had similar burns that were already healed,she apparantly was kept in an enclosure that had no cage around the heat globe and she wrapped around it when the thermostat turned it off' then it went back on and she got badly burned, she is fine apart from the scarring and even laid 32 eggs for me this season, if you can avoid infections then everything will be ok.

I believe it was the Original Poster who originally suggested that the animal might get confuscated or destroyed, and (as best as I can see) everyone else has been saying that vets don't report animals that are unlicenced. Many early posts were pushing the issue and asking why the animal was unable to go to the vet, and I get the impression the OP had these horror-scenario fears before he posted at all.

I know that in my area they only destroy confuscated native animals if they are too sick to re-home, and they distribute the others among the reptile keeping community via ballots. I can only assume it is the same thoughout NSW, and the rest of the country. I personally think it's a rumour that all animals that get confuscated get destroyed.

The protocols for destruction relate primarily to exotic species - whether by confiscation or being found or handed in, most exotics are routinely destroyed, because by far the most common are already well represented in zoos and can't be off-loaded. There are occasional exceptions where a species is sought by a zoo or other institution I believe.

Native species which can be held within the state they are found are generally put out to ballot.

Jamie

Most vets cant tell the difference between a corn snake or a carpet! Ive even spoken to some who admitted to people bringing exotics in!
Good luck at the vet!

The protocols for destruction relate primarily to exotic species - whether by confiscation or being found or handed in, most exotics are routinely destroyed, because by far the most common are already well represented in zoos and can't be off-loaded. There are occasional exceptions where a species is sought by a zoo or other institution I believe.

Native species which can be held within the state they are found are generally put out to ballot.

Jamie

True, I was thinking in terms of native animals which can be kept on licence, since the animal in question is a woma. When it comes to exotic animals, I think the people who bring them in are asking for it. Australia doesn't need any more introduced pests.
This is not the first time I've seen someone post because they're afraid their off-licence native animal is going to get confuscated and destroyed.

Most vets cant tell the difference between a corn snake or a carpet! Ive even spoken to some who admitted to people bringing exotics in!
Good luck at the vet!

I guess some vets will report an exotic, but many won't, because their job is to treat animals, not act as proxy wildlife officers.

Jamie

Having done placement in a number of vet clinics I can assure you they see lots of illegal animals. In all the places I've been to they will report you if a) the animal is showing severe signs of neglect or b) your a complete *** to them, are rude and refuse to pay your bill etc. Other than that they just want to treat the animal.
And I've never had a vet ask to see my license, pretty sure a lot of small animal vets don't even know about reptile licenses to be honest.

Whether licensed or not, the animal is in need of urgent medical care.
This injury did not happen over night and as there is a bad smell, that would indicate rotting flesh/infection. If my girl didn't eat, especially a woma, I'd be very concerned.
Poor baby has probably been in so much pain for the last month......

Whats the verdict?
Please tell me you did seek out a vet and have taken that poor woma for medical treatment! !!!!

I took my spencers monitor to chain type vet last sat nobody asked for my permit. I even filled out two pages of paperwork and there wasn't even a area to write it down.

perhaps a thread should be started showing all vets in all states that can treat reptiles , so when in need you know where to go . Hope all turns out ok

perhaps a thread should be started showing all vets in all states that can treat reptiles , so when in need you know where to go . Hope all turns out ok

Info is already in wiki

Thank you everyone for all of your advice, encouragement and concern.

I took Medusa to Shane at KVH on Tuesday. He diagnosed blister disease / scale rot / possible burn combo. Shane rated the blisters about 3.5/5 for severity, and put her at 85% chance of survival.

She spent two nights with him. She had a minor procedure to remove blisters, and was prescribed Flamazine cream and 10 Fortum antibiotic injections. She was also given a shot of Meloxicam. Shane was very knowledgable and empathetic. He was generous with his time and advice, and gave me pointers on correct terra set-up, which I will follow religiously. I would highly recommend him to other owners.

Although cost was never a consideration, I found the $427 total for all treatment and medications to be very reasonable.

Please find attached pictures of Shane's handy work.

I'll keep you all informed of her progress.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
That's excellent news, both that Medusa has an excellent chance of recovery and that you took her to see Shane. Shane is an excellent reptile vet.

Medusa looks like a beautiful snake. Let us know how she gets on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back