Purchasing options

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissScarlett

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just wanting to hear some thoughts about where people prefer to purchase their snakes from. I have brought a snake from both a reptile shop AND a private seller and have had a bad experience with both which led one snake to be euthanized at the vets and the other was sold on to a more experienced handler. As such I have lost a bit of confidence. I very much miss owning a python but I"m wary of where to start looking. Any advice?

Thanks!

When you say bad experience with both, what do you mean exactly. After sale services?????

Performa, One snake ended up with some unknown genetic illness that caused him to shed right down to the muscle layer. He shed every 6 days or so. Even the experienced vet didnt know what it was or how to treat it. The other was sold to me by a private seller how ensured me that he would be a great snake for a newbie but ended up being Satan Spawn who was really hard to feed right from the start and would stike ever single time I went near him.

Performa, One snake ended up with some unknown genetic illness that caused him to shed right down to the muscle layer. He shed every 6 days or so. Even the experienced vet didnt know what it was or how to treat it. The other was sold to me by a private seller how ensured me that he would be a great snake for a newbie but ended up being Satan Spawn who was really hard to feed right from the start and would stike ever single time I went near him.

Not sure about the first one, but the second may be a result of your husbandry practices. If you'd like you can post some details about your keeping methods and other people will be able to help so that if this is the problem it won't happen again.

If you find a good breeder they will sell you the snake show you how to set it up and help you with any problems that you may encounter. On a side note I have found all of my snakes besides one that I have bought as a hatchling have been defensive when small, my spotted which as supposed to be placid was spawn of satin until about 2 years old when she became very placid. The one snake that has been placid from the start was my diamond and that is the only snake that my wife will hold, it is the most gentle snake that I have met.

Consider joining your local reptile society. They'll be able to give you plenty of advice not only before you get a python, but also ongoing advice when problems arise. It also means if you buy through a breeder within the society, you'll have more contact with them if anything goes wrong. While I've had too much going on to attend my local reptile society on a regular basis, I've found them really friendly and keen to get more people into "the hobby". You're also more likely to end up with a breeder who's local to your area.

That said, any good breeder should be willing to give you advice about getting started as well as ongoing care. Try to talk to them first and see if they're willing to give advice, as well as to prove that you're willing to learn. If you explain you're new and you've had trouble in the past, they should give you a straight answer as to whether they're willing to give you ongoing support.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Hatchlings can be hard, and I had trouble getting used to my first hatchlings and as a result I've got a couple snakes that aren't as docile as I'd like. I do wonder if they might be better if I'd been better, or if they're just moody animals. Sometimes there are things you can do to settle a hatchling, and sometimes you've got to get past the mental hurdle of putting your hands near a snake that's trying to bite you. Good luck.

I got my first from a commercial breeder and all my others from private breeders. All of mine have being bought from photos and freighter to me.

But it sounds like you might be better off finding someone local. I've found local facebook pages, and herp societies are a great way to meet people and seek hands on advice.

Your first story sounds really unlucky and the poor animal should never have being sold to you. The second sounds like the hatchling was highly defensive and scared. Even my little psycho did not strike at me through the click clack.

Once again a local breeder should be able to help you with setting up and settling in the python.

Thanks everyone! Ill certainly look into all of the above. The snake that was defensive was purchased interstate and freighted. Im still unsure if it was my handling or just its attitude. It was about 10 months old I was told. He was kept in a smaller enclosure for nearly 3 weeks and really only disturbed to be fed in this tub. I used newspaper to cover in the sides to help him settle in. He was then introduced to his bigger enclosure and left again for about 10 days to settle before handling him. In the begining I could handle him to clean the cage etc. He was snappy and did make contact a few times. Over about 4 months he got worse and I had to use a hook to pick him up. By then I must say I lost my confidence and knew that if I didnt get him used to handling he may get worse. I was able to sell him on to someone that was more than happy and experienced to take him on. I hear that he maintained his attitude! Is there something I could/should have done? I dont want to make the same mistakes.

Persistance is a big thing with a "defensive" python. I had a 3 y.o Murray Darling who was very snappy, perserverance and handling all the time have slowed him down, 6 months on mind you he still gets a bit annoyed. I had a hook at first for him, but i felt uncomfortable using that, so i just go in, pickup gently and provide lots of support and he is great.

If you live anywhere around the South East Qld area, feel free to pop into our shop and have a chat with us. That way you'll get the best of both worlds. We only have experienced reptile people working for us and only buy in from the most trusted and reputable breeders in the country. We follow up with good after sales service as well.
The Reptile Outlet
Shop 6
1118 Oxley Road
Oxley. Qld. 4075.
Ph: (07) 3278 2888

I have had good and bad with petshops but always good with private keepers/ breeders..
but I am dealing with geckos and not snakes.

Thanks Reptile Outlet! I'm a Victorian though but need an excuse for a holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back