Very Sick Woma :( Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that looks a lot less sore already. Glad she is on the mend by the looks of her it is lucky that she has some good condition on her.

Thanks jimmyh for the kind words. She was pretty chilled snake and I am glad I was able to help her out. I obviously did not charge you enough:)

I normally don't post on forums (just lurk in the background!) but I just wanted to clear up the question about whether as vets we need to know if you are licenced or not. It would concern me, as it did in this case, that people were delaying treatment because they thought it was an issue.

There is NO legal requirement for us as vets to see proof of your license. Obviously you should have one but it makes NO difference to us. Veterinarians are not responsible for policing licenses and that is totally under the control of the relevant state authorities.

Personally I ask for client's license number when they visit me and fill out my history form. I don't do this for any legal requirement. I do this to find out if they have a basic or advanced license. I also ask what their experience level is too. With this information I can get an idea of how in depth I have to go into husbandry etc. with them.

Once again there is NO legal requirement for vets to ask for proof of a current license and you should not delay treatment because of this fear.

Regards,
Dr Shane Simpson

Thank you for clarifying that point, and also for being a reptile lover. Great to hear she is on the mend too.

To be honest I wasn't holding my breath for this snake. When I saw the pictures I thought it was a goner. Sure glad I was wrong. Good on you O.P for doing the right thing.

Great work Dr. Simpson.

Regards, Patrick

Good to see your snakes getting better and that you did the right thing by her.

Glad she is on the right track.
Might be a good idea to get a licence at some point.

Aaron

Getting a licence from here would not mean this animal becomes licensed though. This animal probably wont ever be able to be put on a licence as you can't prove where it came from (although I'm pretty sure it may be possible from past stories).

But the licensing system is to stop illegal poaching and incorrect care of the animal (supposedly) in which this person is clearly not doing either.

Technically illegal but morally better than some keepers here.

Good luck with its recovery! I had a snake that looked about the same and it didn't survive even after a visit to shane. I hope yours is a better outcome :)

It may show that he's trying to do the right thing though.
If it ever did come down to being found out and he had an unlicensed snake but had a license and he explained what had happened for him to come into possession of the snake he'd be looked more favourably upon

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I think members should just leave the licence thing as it is - it's none of our business and nothing is served well by debating it here. The snake is likely on the mend and obviously has a very caring owner... that's all that matters.

Jamie

I agree with Jamie, if people want to discuss it further maybe do it via private messages.

Well done on taking your snake to the vet, I bet he/she will be feeling a lot more comfortable. Please don't put the heat mat in the tank, it's too risky, and thanks for the update.

Well done m8, it was good to see that although hesitant in your original post to take it to the vet you bit the bullet and took her to 1 of the most respected Reptile Vets, TBH after seeing the original pics my stomach turned and i thought it would be brown bread by now, Bravo Shane Bravo, a lot of normal vets would have taken 1 look at all the necrotic flesh and just shook there head and given you some pain relief for her and sent you home to keep her comfortable, but Vets like Shane Simpson are able to look past what they can see on the surface and knowing the physiology of Reptiles are able to formulate a good care plan for recovery. It has been said in this forum plenty of times but for all the newbies out there please where possible take your Reps to a specialized Reptile Vet in the first instance, it pays dividends in the end. I would say this is a pretty satisfactory climax to a vexing problem and thank you to the OP for keeping us all in the loop as to her treatment even with all the negative comments that were thrown your way. :)..........................Ron

Last edited:
I've never had to provide my license to a vet and my snake got his tail amputated... You should be fine without a license

10 days on from my last update.

Medusa has been cleaned and 'Flamazined' daily, and been given 4 Fortum injections, with varied success.... She recognises the needle now and wriggles around like crazy!

I tried feeding her a weener rat last night (last fed large rat on 1/11), but she was not interested.

She looks healthier, and is a little more active as the days go by.

Thank you for the interest and support APS members!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 68
You have yourself an excellent vet there, that is looking great considering. I am glad that the wellbeing of the snake has been put first by both you and this forum rather than worrying about whether you had a license or not, it should always be about the welfare of the animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back