Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MathersD

Reaction score
Ok so there is a lot of back and forth about snake temperament . so lets hear what you have and what the pro and cons are . I.E jungles -stunning but ill tempered and so forth . Post a pic and tell us about them . Cheers

This will help newbies make good decision on what snakes best suite them from ppl on this site

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
For any species theres those that look good, those that look bad (except for GTPs ;) ), those that are mean, those that are nice.

The best advice for noobs isn't to lump everything into stereotypes but to find what snake THEY like, research the hell out of it and then be patient enough to find one with the temperament they want.

I really don't get the whole "Jungles are nasty" thing.
Mine is a sweetheart.. its the spotted that's a psycho biting machine.

I think it is unwise to stereotype snakes based on a 'general consensus'. Children's pythons which are always recommended to beginners I have found to be the snappiest and most difficult to feed of any species I have owned. This does not mean however that every children's is like this. I would advise newbies to pick a snake that interests them whilst considering their size and environmental requirements.

snake - each specimen is different with different temperaments and different visual looks

Scrubbies are the only Aussie python I ever have doubts about
Never had one I totally trusted

This is a general discussion . Yes each snake will be differential from the next and I don't mean to stereotype any snake . This is good to see a bit of back of your snakes . You say research . Well to me this is really good place . That way you have not got newbs taking on Australia's biggest snakes and so forth .

I purchased a woma because of looks and temperament.
She is so laid back, gentle, never narky BUT she has bitten me.
It was a food response but none the less I still copped a bite.
I'm very gentle with all my animals and she is used to me handling her.

However, a man picked her up and she changed instantly- he put her down and backed off because she made it clear that she didn't like to be handled like that.

So I guess each animal will react differently regardless of species.

i personally think that they all have different personalities and that even the most placid snake can turn on a dime. I have a md that is so placid you can poke him in the face as many times as you like even hold your finger there but if you put him around my wife's shoulders good luck getting him back of if your a male then on the other hand i have a het albino darwin that is so placid she cuddles her rats before she eats them so i don't think you can stereo type any snake their all different in my opinion

I will talk about my four womas and how different they are. Research only goes so far, if you want a placid snake find a trustworthy breeder if you are going to freight, or better yet find someone local and handle the python before you buy it.

I personally bought all mine on looks as handling isn't that important to me, even as a newbie.

Woma 1 was a 3 year old woma when I got him. He is absolutely stunning (well I think so anyhow with heavy bias) and is very placid. He has never shown any signs of being defensive even when I first got him. He has however given my arms a bit of a squeeze a few times and gone for the 'sneaky' bite which isn't uncommon in Aspidites. For the 'sneaky' bite he makes it so obvious that I just move his head away from me and he gives up. He has never bitten me and is the one I grab out to show that people that snakes aren't scary.

Woma 2 was a hatchling when I got him. He took a little less than a week to settle in and was the most placid hatchling. I had him for 7 months before he bit me, a full on feeding response. It took me by suprise as I had only fed him two days before. He is now completely food crazy and when I do handle him, it is normally fairly short. I have received quite a few feeding responses off him. He gets more than enough food.

Woma 3 and 4 were two siblings I got as hatchies. Woma 3 loves his food, but is great to handle. He wags his tail to show he is thinking about food and gives me plenty of time to put him away. He is a little cutie and is fast becoming one of my favourites. He has never bitten.

Woma 4 well she can only be described as a bit of a psycho. I just after 4 and a bit months got her to the stage of getting her out to clean her tub without her striking and arcing up. I can handle her for short periods if she is in an 'ok mood'. She is turning into a very pretty girl but is untrustworthy. Of someone had handled her every day and put more time into it I'm sure she would have settled down a bit sooner but like I said handling isn't the reason why I like pythons.

That being said I do recommend womas to beginners as I have had great experiences with mine. But if you want a placid python don't base your opinion off others experiences with a particular species. There are always the ones that don't fit into the stereotype like my 4th woma.

Last edited:
A theory I have and I could be totally wrong ( wouldn’t be the first time , lol) is that snakes have scent recognition , I had a Burmese that was the sweetest snake when I picked her up and handled her , she nevereven looked like she wanted to bite , but let anyone else have a go at picking her up and handling her and she became a Demon , would bite the hell out of that person , once I took her back she would bump me with her head , get a good smell and calm down , this was true to some degree with the Corn Snakes I had . Anyone else experience this ?

I am not crazy am I ? lol

Simon Stone did an excellent 'road test' article which is in the Doc Rock section of the SXR website. I agree.

My favourites are the albino Darwins because they are not only beautiful, but also have a curious, calm temperament.

A theory I have and I could be totally wrong ( wouldn’t be the first time , lol) is that snakes have scent recognition , I had a Burmese that was the sweetest snake when I picked her up and handled her , she nevereven looked like she wanted to bite , but let anyone else have a go at picking her up and handling her and she became a Demon , would bite the hell out of that person , once I took her back she would bump me with her head , get a good smell and calm down , this was true to some degree with the Corn Snakes I had . Anyone else experience this ?

I am not crazy am I ? lol

I've had a similar experience, when I open my jungles tank my curious male will crawl up to the front and crawls out onto me, he doesn't crawl out onto anyone else.

5K15o.jpg
5K16U.jpg

Also these jungles are the most placid snakes I know, don't look too bad either.

Last edited by a moderator:
My woma does that also.
If she's in her hide, I wiggle my finger at her and out she comes.
my brother saw me do it and he freaked saying I shouldn't do that, she'll think it's food. His diamond would go nuts if he did that.
So there again, I think each animal will get used to the way their owner does things.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way Trimeresurus, your boy is stunning.

you get good and bad temperment in all species.i only have 2 nasty ones,a very pretty jungle and and extremely psycho spotted of all things. yet i have a 3.5m,6yo scrubby that is a pussycat and has never bitten

I don't live in Oz, but I do have several Australian snakes.

My carpet was totally insane when I got her. All she did was bite. Now she's one of the most placid that I own.

My woma is, different, to put it nicely. I can get him out, hold him or not mess with him for a week or so, just to change water and clean out his tank. My better half looks at him and he starts hissing and snapping. Complete 180 towards her. Even the vet couldn't believe it.

My boa is a biter, and you never know when its coming. They, "the experts", say they are one of the more docile of the larger breeds.

My male hognose is so laid back, he never makes a sound. My female only does her thing when its feeding time. Polar opposites of one another.

Best snake I own is a corn snake. He's the one everyone loves to hold. Only bit one time and that's cause he missed his rat.

It does seem, from my experience, that colubrids handle better than pythons or boas. The exception being ball pythons.

So like others have said, research, handle and most important pick one that you like. Not what someone tells you. Its your snake or your family's snake. Not the neighbor down the street.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Must say I am highly loving the bredli . So stunning . Hypo and normal .

My two big atherton jungles have only bit me once when I got between them and food, and he let go almost instantly when he realized he had struck me.

yA2ektW.jpg

These two on the other hand bite all the time

N0ul6sl.jpg

And this one only bit me once on the day I picked him up.

0wQvdvI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back