King Cobras (pic heavy)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow Jazz thats the best thing i've seen for ages, a girl that handles the king of vens, impressive.Im seriously tempted to go visit you Longqi if thats a typical Bali rescue experience.

This is NOT a typical day in Bali
Kings are only common now because it is breeding/nesting season
Rest of the year they hide away fairly successfully

That first shot of you holding the big cobra by the tail is a classic. One to show the grandchildren. 8) You look so happy holding the egg, it's nice to see.

In my books that would've been the ultimate herping experience, I'm really jealous! I love the close ups but that first pic showing you with an absolute monster is awesome!

Yeah it's great to see her size! A shame she was a bit grumpy, although understandably.

Hopefully a few of those eggs start hatching before I leave, that would be the cherry on top!

I have to say that the photo of you holding a 3.5m King Cobra totally blew me away. I have seen a couple of 4m Kings up close in the glass enclosures that Eric Worrell had them in at the original Australian Reptile Park. The head alone was twice the size of my clenched fist and bigger than my flattened hand. These things were totally awesome. Given most snakes can lift more than half their body length of the ground, you could well be looking up at 7ft (2.15m) of snake in the wild. That aside, the sheer size of these giant elapids is enough to make the sphincter of even experienced elapid catchers pucker. Tou are one brassy young lady! You would clearly be an asset on any herping trip.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Love your pictures, looks like an amazing experience! I relocated this beautiful King in southern Thailand earlier this year.
View attachment 302912View attachment 302911

Attachments didnt work. Id love to see your pics!

Thanks for the kind words bluetongue1, im actually usually really bad luck on herping trips! Although maybe thats changed now =P
I was blown away with the first 3.5m girl, i cant imagine seeing anything bigger...

The last nest of eggs you collected are hatching right now Jazz
2 out so far looking strong and healthy
Will release them later in the week

Im so happy! / sad because i didnt get to see them =[

As fun as catching kings would be could you explain why removing the wild eggs to incubators and it seems reducing hatching success is considered beneficial? I understand locals may kill them once they hatch, that happens with all snakes everywhere. Is this program considered to have a longer term success rate than just leaving them be? How many release locations can you have that aren't already inhabited by kings? I'm not sure on this but I assume they will eat each other?
I know these questions come across as sounding negative but i am generally interested.

As fun as catching kings would be could you explain why removing the wild eggs to incubators and it seems reducing hatching success is considered beneficial? I understand locals may kill them once they hatch, that happens with all snakes everywhere. Is this program considered to have a longer term success rate than just leaving them be? How many release locations can you have that aren't already inhabited by kings? I'm not sure on this but I assume they will eat each other?
I know these questions come across as sounding negative but i am generally interested.

Im sure longqi can answer this more thoroughly for you but as i understand it - the hatching rate is extremely high with the last clutch having a 100% success rate and hatchlings released shortly after.
The locals know where the nest is and will, and have before, kill the female king and destroy the nest. These nests are only removed because the locals do not want them on their property.
I feel like any kind of success rate is better then a 100% death rate. Without a tracking program, which is extremely costly, it would be difficult to confirm a success rate, especially over such a short period of time.
The area the kings are released into change and are not around people. The main area is extremely large so a dispersal can take place.

I will answer this in more detail shortly on the bali reptile rescue thread
But what Jazz has said is basically correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back