Snappy juvenile Children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwelch99

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New to keeping snakes and I have a 10 month old Children's Python. I handle him every 1-2 days unless after a feed and he is still really snappy and always wants to bite. I have had him for only a month and bought him from a reptile shop.

I know they are supposed to calm down as they get older but I'm worried that because he is so snappy he will always be snappy. Will he grow out of it? And around what age do they stop being so defensive? I want to be able to handle him without having him want to bite me all the time.

Hope you can help .. Thanks.

Persistence is key. The more you handle the better it'll get. If your getting bitten or are worried then use a pillow case over your hand. A small snake hook is also a good way to start. Pick the snake up from the tail end, nice and gently. Then hook the snake 3/4 the way towards the head. Get it useto your touch and that your not a threat. Then when you feel your ready, use both hands without the hook. With time and persistence you'll be more comfortable and hopefully your snake will to. (some just don't like been handled. Keep the handling sessions to short periods and slowly make them longer.

I got 4 jungles off a mate recently and 3 of them were little terrors, i just keep playing with them and they kept biting, but now bout 6 months down the track all of them are awesome,

i actually dont mind the bite, kinda enjoy it, so all goods :)

as above stated keep going

mwelch99,

As a general rule, most juveniles are snappy. This is more to do with what they have to do to survive in the wild, not because of how you are treating it. Once it gets to a larger size, you will see it mellow out. I'm not sure when this may be on a Children's Python.

Lots of different advice in "fixing" it too. Some say don't handle it till it is older, others say handle it more. Ultimately, I don't think it matters.

Keep in mind that a juvenile snake will stay hidden due to it being easy prey for other larger animals and the only way for it to get bigger is to eat. Survival of the fittest means it needs that aggression otherwise it will go hungry.

Touching a small snakes tail that is defensive is just going to provoke a more defensive reaction. It should settle down with size But If you want to handle it and are worried about getting bitten. Try lifting the snake up with a small snake hook and let it climb on you when its ready.

My Jungle has just left the demon phase :p Being a good little girl lately.

Last edited:
Thanks to everybody for the advice. I use a snake hook and heroes on my hand but just sits there in strike mode .. Hopefully over time he will get better as he gets older .. Thanks again.

I have a childrens python that was possessed by the devil. She would strike at me non stop and wriggle around when I had her. I didnt handle her for months and months and she ended up getting more calm with age. Now she is probably a year old and I can get her out no problems. I still have to be a little careful with her reading her body language but she is 100000% better than what she was and she did it all on her own.

I found with 1 of my Spotties at 6 months all he wanted to do was see how many times he could draw blood in 1 handling session, so i took the advice from 1 of the all knowing Reptile Gods we have on tap here and wore an old "T" shirt for a couple of days then ripped it up into a few smaller pieces and left 1 at a time in the click clack with him and 1 of the others i used over my fingers to get him out, this was not for my protection but more for the Spottie to have a good strong scent of me to smell and re-assure him i was not danger and also not lose anymore teeth in my skin. To my amazement this worked a treat and within 2 weeks he was as gentle and inquisitive as the female (who was gentle from the start). I am sure there are many other tricks of the trade for handling a snappy little one and the Guru's here will be more than glad to share with you, good luck and i wish you a wonderful Herping experience. :) ....................................Ron

Ron - thanks for you're advice .. Will give it a go, thanks.
its so nice to see everybody interested in reptiles willing to help out newbies .. After all we all want well cared for adjusted pets. It's good to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back