Collard Greens and Turnip Greens?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that we have collard greens here but we do have turnips and I would think that turnip greens would be the green leaves on top of the turnip root.

Collard greens are known as kale here, or at least that is the closest relative. The family of plants is also related to most of the chinese greens you can buy here. Bok choy, choy sum, pak choy, broccoli, cabbage etc.

Turnip greens are, like Andy said, the tops of turnips. They are in the same group of plants as above.

A website claims that collard greens are similar to cabbage plants? Shame that kale is not so high in calcium though.

I have been using Kale for a while now as Endive has been hard to get. I feed it to my birds a lot but the reptiles seem to love it too! I've never seen the tops on turnips sold with the turnip itself though, so not sure if anyone else has....?

Collard greens are known as kale here, or at least that is the closest relative. The family of plants is also related to most of the chinese greens you can buy here. Bok choy, choy sum, pak choy, broccoli, cabbage etc.

Turnip greens are, like Andy said, the tops of turnips. They are in the same group of plants as above.

Collard greens are also known as spring greens. It is not kale.

This is a very informative website....
Nutrition Content

Collard greens are also known as spring greens. It is not kale.

This is a very informative website....
Nutrition Content

Re-read my post mate. At which point did I say it WAS kale?

You may get spring greens and collard greens there but, we don't get them here so I pointed out the closest relative.

Re-read my post mate. At which point did I say it WAS kale?

You may get spring greens and collard greens there but, we don't get them here so I pointed out the closest relative.

Your first sentence.

I probably should have read the rest of your post though.

Your first sentence.

I probably should have read the rest of your post though.

Lol...a sentence ends with a full stop, not a comma.

- - - Updated - - -

Endive is the next best thing :D

Personally I think Bok choy is the best alternative since it is high in calcium, protein, B vitamins, magnesium and fibre.

Endives are nearly as good though but more expensive.

Most of the kale we get here is bitter, and our beardies don't like it. But they do love the choys.

Most of the kale we get here is bitter, and our beardies don't like it. But they do love the choys.
My beardie loves all of the choys as well and I mix through carrot , pumpkin and beans.

Last edited:
This is something I have been wondering about, so I did a bit research. Kale, Collard Greens and Spring Greens (Acephala group) are all leaf vegetable varieties derived from the wild cabbage, Brassica oleracea. This is a remarkable plant species as different parts of the plant shoot system have been developed over centuries of careful breeding, based on artificial selection, to produce really structurally diverse varieties of the plant. Briefly, these are the parts that have been expanded in various cultivars:

Leaves
– Kale; Collard Greens; Spring Greens; Chinese Broccoli; Kai-lan
Terminal bud
– Cabbage; Red Cabbage; Savoy cabbage
Axillary (lateral) buds
– Brussels Sprouts
Stem
– Kohlrabi
Inflorescences
– Broccoli; Cauliflower; Broccoflower; Broccoli Sprouts; Broccolini; Romanesco Broccoli

Some are more suited to certain climates and tend to be found in some countries but not others. There are also different forms of many of these varieties... yet they are all the one species of the one plant!

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
There must be some differences between the varieties as cabbage is no good but kale collard greens and broccoli are fine for reptiles.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back